Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Re: ralph nader [Re: zouden]
    #9463814 -

No.  Look it up.  Prop 8 was a referendum.  A Constitutional amendment is a whole lot more difficult.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ralph nader [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9463874 -

Indeed, I just looked it up and it appears that a amendment to the federal constitution requires a supermajority, while the California constitution merely requires a referendum. That's why Prop 8 was able to change the CA constitution. To do that on a federal level would require two-thirds of congress (supermajority) to agree.


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ralph nader [Re: zouden]
    #9463914 -

I agree with you 100% that the US voting system is flawed.  Only San Francisco and Boston use IRV voting to my knowledge (or whatever it's called these days).  That's a better system for sure.

Zapa - I don't believe any constitutional amendment would be required for IRV voting.  The constitution talks about the electoral college, and we're talking about the popular vote here (correct me if I'm wrong), which can be done in any way the states choose.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ralph nader [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #9463946 -

I believe that one man one vote is part of the Constitution.  The context of the discussion was a Presidential election, not state elections. 

A Constitutional amendment also must be ratified by 3/4ths of the states.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ralph nader [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9463964 -

But the states are free to determine how they allocate their electoral votes. It's up to them to decide if they want instant-runoff voting, and if they want to group their EVs or split them up.


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ralph nader [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9463976 -

zappaisgod said:
I believe that one man one vote is part of the Constitution.



I'm not disagreeing with you, but I couldn't find anything in the Constituion saying that.  Certainly one man, one ballot is appropriate.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Joe the Plumber
( 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 all )
THE KRAT BARON 5,791 180 10/17/08 04:23 PM
by The_Red_Crayon
* Joe the Plumber: a vote for Obama is a vote for the death of Israel
( 1 2 all )
boomer q 2,014 23 11/02/08 02:00 AM
by paulie_walnuts1
* Joe Biden's (Author of Rave Act, ONDCP, and Drug Czar legislation) daughter filmed snorting cocaine
( 1 2 3 4 all )
johnm214 6,743 68 04/07/09 04:41 PM
by johnm214
* Joe Sixpack as Vice President afoaf 584 7 10/02/08 04:38 PM
by Asric
* Joe Wilson's Top Ten Worst Inaccuracies And Misstatements lonestar2004 935 7 11/03/05 07:06 PM
by lonestar2004
* Joe Leibermans blog Andy21 581 1 09/10/06 01:05 PM
by Dexter_Morgan
* Army Spc. Joe Cook message to Obama
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Luddite 3,480 63 11/03/08 09:23 AM
by downforpot
* Joe Biden the liar
( 1 2 all )
Chemy 4,275 24 08/30/08 12:13 AM
by Prisoner#1

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
3,692 topic views. 3 members, 5 guests and 19 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 17 queries.