Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
Subbalteatus Infestation
    #9345569 - 12/01/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I walked into my Mycology class today and these were fruiting in our "dung garden."  It's just a simple terrarium filled with horse dung and straw from an undisclosed location.  I was dumbfounded when I saw them. 

Nice slightly wavy caps.  A feature that distinguishes subbalteatus from other Panaeolus.

Twisty stipe, another characteristic of subbs.

There were two layers of different dung, and the subbs were fruiting mostly from the layer of dung toward the bottom of the terrarium, pushing their way towards the top.

I have half-assedly tried to cultivate subbalteatus in the past, and have gotten a couple small fruits, but I bet one could get good results using a terrarium similar to the one in the pictures.

Most of you have seen these, but here's a couple pretty pictures from last spring of some outdoor subbs from the area.:yesnod:

Woop, got a little carried away there, but I got excited seeing subbs in December.  I can't wait until next season!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletravelleler
a horse-fart in a hurricane
 User Gallery

Loc: yonder mountains
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9345605 - 12/01/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

the one in the terrarium also has the classic 'spiral' in the stem.  So did you guys just identify them or did you eat them after class?

--------------------

"Whales have deep thoughts"

:sun:Dreams are the fuel of the soul:sun:

:peace:

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: travelleler]
    #9345685 - 12/01/08 05:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

We didn't actually ID them in class, as everyone in the class has to identify 4 different basidio's on their own, and somebody requested those to ID, so I wasn't allowed to actually tell anyone what they were.  However,  in my excitement I let the ID slip to one kid, and last I saw him, he was reaching into the terrarium grabbing mushrooms and bits of dung.

--------------------

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #9345833 - 12/01/08 05:42 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

:congrats:beatiful iam going for some dung :cool:

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: cactu]
    #9345886 - 12/01/08 05:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

nice pics, awesome thread.

amazing how they just appear in great numbers eh? :grin:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #9346140 - 12/01/08 06:22 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome, LS.  Must be a pretty hip school to let you grow magic mushrooms in class.

Can you briefly describe the dung garden/aqaurium method?

--------------------

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9346641 - 12/01/08 07:31 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Senor, I'm having trouble thinking of how to explain it, as it's not just your average box.  I'll post a good picture of it, with a description later this week.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#9346665 - 12/01/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Excellent, thanks.  :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
    #9347059 - 12/01/08 08:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Coolest school ever! :cool: Yes, I am also very curious as to the contents of your mystery shitbox! Thanks for the link to EOL! Awesome!

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #9359835 - 12/03/08 04:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Here's the terrarium.  Two pieces of plexiglass are in a V shape, with a small opening at the bottom for drainage.  The other two pieces of plexiglass, the side-walls, are supporting the terrarium, with the metal rods holding it together, and foam is sealing the edges, where the V meets the side-walls.  We draped plastic over the top to hold in humidity.

A nice little guy that popped up today.

The terrarium would be very easy to make.

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #9360110 - 12/03/08 05:09 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Nice design! What did you guys put in it? Shit yes, but was it raw from the field? Do you have multiple cultures in it? How did the subbs come to be included. Shit! Can I come to your class? Sorry about all the questions, but I find this very interesting!:)

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Invisiblelqdtrance
Hunter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9360404 - 12/03/08 05:52 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Wow.... I got tons of horse poo that I get fruits off of. I need to make a terrarium and bring it indoors!!!

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: lqdtrance]
    #9360534 - 12/03/08 06:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The strange thing is, I'm not actually sure where this shit came from.  It is just random poo someone brought in, and subbs just happened to pop up!  Apparently subbs are quite sneaky.

I think this terrarium method could be a good way for people to "hunt" for subbalteatus.  Conditions in the wild arn't always conducive toward subb fruiting.  Collect possible "subb"strates from around your area, and bring them back home to your terrarium(s).  Try and keep substrates from different areas separate so that if subbs fruit you'll know which area to go back to when the conditions are right.  If conditions are never "right" or you're impatient you'll know where to collect substrate for your own subb pile.  In my opinion, the best substrate for this method would be horse manure mixed with stable shavings and or hay.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#9360539 - 12/03/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Very cool, LS.  Thanks for sharing.  :smile:

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9360566 - 12/03/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

but under indoor conditions, molds and such can take over, as well as bugs, do this somewhere separate from where u do the rest of ur mycology lol.

a greenhouse outdoors would be optimal :grin:

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: CptnGarden]
    #9360577 - 12/03/08 06:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, not in your kitchen or bedroom.

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #9360644 - 12/03/08 06:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like Santa filled the mystery box! :santaclaus: Thanks!

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #9360996 - 12/03/08 07:29 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

my outdoor subb patch only fruited a few times this year but i think it only fruited a few times because i had just made it this year.

I think next year should be good, i nabbed some horse dung and hay from the pasture i always pick subbs in and soaked the dung/hay combo in water in a trash bag then made a outdoor bed to put it in.

It fruited 3 weeks later but only produced a few mushies, the rest of the season it fruited but only produced small flushes. I think it should produce better next year since the myc will have had more time to get accustomed to its new home.

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #9361023 - 12/03/08 07:32 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

weiliiiiiii said:
my outdoor subb patch only fruited a few times this year but i think it only fruited a few times because i had just made it this year.

I think next year should be good, i nabbed some horse dung and hay from the pasture i always pick subbs in and soaked the dung/hay combo in water in a trash bag then made a outdoor bed to put it in.

It fruited 3 weeks later but only produced a few mushies, the rest of the season it fruited but only produced small flushes. I think it should produce better next year since the myc will have had more time to get accustomed to its new home.

are you adding fresh poo periodically?

--------------------

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Beege]
    #9372586 - 12/05/08 01:34 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

A couple more shots from today.

You can see the fibrils on the stem better with flash.

The little one from my previous post grew into the big one (6" tall) in this post in two days.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags