Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Subbalteatus Infestation
    #9345569 -

I walked into my Mycology class today and these were fruiting in our "dung garden."  It's just a simple terrarium filled with horse dung and straw from an undisclosed location.  I was dumbfounded when I saw them. 

Nice slightly wavy caps.  A feature that distinguishes subbalteatus from other Panaeolus.

Twisty stipe, another characteristic of subbs.

There were two layers of different dung, and the subbs were fruiting mostly from the layer of dung toward the bottom of the terrarium, pushing their way towards the top.


I have half-assedly tried to cultivate subbalteatus in the past, and have gotten a couple small fruits, but I bet one could get good results using a terrarium similar to the one in the pictures.

Most of you have seen these, but here's a couple pretty pictures from last spring of some outdoor subbs from the area.:yesnod:















Woop, got a little carried away there, but I got excited seeing subbs in December.  I can't wait until next season!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9345605 -

the one in the terrarium also has the classic 'spiral' in the stem.  So did you guys just identify them or did you eat them after class?


--------------------




"Whales have deep thoughts"

:sun:Dreams are the fuel of the soul:sun:

:peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: travelleler]
    #9345685 -

We didn't actually ID them in class, as everyone in the class has to identify 4 different basidio's on their own, and somebody requested those to ID, so I wasn't allowed to actually tell anyone what they were.  However,  in my excitement I let the ID slip to one kid, and last I saw him, he was reaching into the terrarium grabbing mushrooms and bits of dung.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9345833 -

:congrats:beatiful iam going for some dung :cool:


--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: cactu]
    #9345886 -

nice pics, awesome thread.

amazing how they just appear in great numbers eh? :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9346140 -

Awesome, LS.  Must be a pretty hip school to let you grow magic mushrooms in class.

Can you briefly describe the dung garden/aqaurium method?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9346641 -

Senor, I'm having trouble thinking of how to explain it, as it's not just your average box.  I'll post a good picture of it, with a description later this week.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9346665 -

Excellent, thanks.  :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9347059 -

Coolest school ever! :cool: Yes, I am also very curious as to the contents of your mystery shitbox! Thanks for the link to EOL! Awesome!


--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #9359835 -

Here's the terrarium.  Two pieces of plexiglass are in a V shape, with a small opening at the bottom for drainage.  The other two pieces of plexiglass, the side-walls, are supporting the terrarium, with the metal rods holding it together, and foam is sealing the edges, where the V meets the side-walls.  We draped plastic over the top to hold in humidity.





A nice little guy that popped up today.


The terrarium would be very easy to make.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9360110 -

Nice design! What did you guys put in it? Shit yes, but was it raw from the field? Do you have multiple cultures in it? How did the subbs come to be included. Shit! Can I come to your class? Sorry about all the questions, but I find this very interesting!:)


--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #9360404 -

Wow.... I got tons of horse poo that I get fruits off of. I need to make a terrarium and bring it indoors!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: lqdtrance]
    #9360534 -

The strange thing is, I'm not actually sure where this shit came from.  It is just random poo someone brought in, and subbs just happened to pop up!  Apparently subbs are quite sneaky.

I think this terrarium method could be a good way for people to "hunt" for subbalteatus.  Conditions in the wild arn't always conducive toward subb fruiting.  Collect possible "subb"strates from around your area, and bring them back home to your terrarium(s).  Try and keep substrates from different areas separate so that if subbs fruit you'll know which area to go back to when the conditions are right.  If conditions are never "right" or you're impatient you'll know where to collect substrate for your own subb pile.  In my opinion, the best substrate for this method would be horse manure mixed with stable shavings and or hay.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9360539 -

Very cool, LS.  Thanks for sharing.  :smile:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9360566 -

but under indoor conditions, molds and such can take over, as well as bugs, do this somewhere separate from where u do the rest of ur mycology lol.

a greenhouse outdoors would be optimal :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: CptnGarden]
    #9360577 -

Yeah, not in your kitchen or bedroom.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9360644 -

Looks like Santa filled the mystery box! :santaclaus: Thanks!


--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #9360996 -

my outdoor subb patch only fruited a few times this year but i think it only fruited a few times because i had just made it this year.

I think next year should be good, i nabbed some horse dung and hay from the pasture i always pick subbs in and soaked the dung/hay combo in water in a trash bag then made a outdoor bed to put it in.


It fruited 3 weeks later but only produced a few mushies, the rest of the season it fruited but only produced small flushes. I think it should produce better next year since the myc will have had more time to get accustomed to its new home.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #9361023 -

weiliiiiiii said:
my outdoor subb patch only fruited a few times this year but i think it only fruited a few times because i had just made it this year.

I think next year should be good, i nabbed some horse dung and hay from the pasture i always pick subbs in and soaked the dung/hay combo in water in a trash bag then made a outdoor bed to put it in.


It fruited 3 weeks later but only produced a few mushies, the rest of the season it fruited but only produced small flushes. I think it should produce better next year since the myc will have had more time to get accustomed to its new home.



are you adding fresh poo periodically?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Subbalteatus Infestation [Re: Beege]
    #9372586 -

A couple more shots from today.







You can see the fibrils on the stem better with flash.



The little one from my previous post grew into the big one (6" tall) in this post in two days.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* How to tell MikeyAnderson 2,589 6 12/31/04 05:09 AM
by canid
* hey i need more id's DrGonzo401 1,598 5 12/06/01 12:55 PM
by Levi7
* Cope and Panaeolus Images from a friend on Koh Samui mjshroomer 1,820 8 07/15/06 10:35 PM
by eris
* Mjshroomer & Mycoguy's Great Saturday Shroom Adventure: 1 mjshroomer 1,774 18 06/01/04 03:08 AM
by Kojo
* Psilocybe cubensis Pictorial: Fresly Pickedd mjshroomer 5,135 5 05/22/01 06:14 PM
by GGreatOne234
* Liberty caps? [5 images] d_myco420 5,283 9 10/06/02 06:13 PM
by DocPsilocybin
* Findings after a walk in the park
( 1 2 all )
lovepotion 4,068 22 06/19/06 03:02 PM
by PortAngeles
* 2 different mushroom ID's, not for consumption. kadakuda 1,415 4 06/17/04 02:29 PM
by kadakuda

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
4,924 topic views. 3 members, 7 guests and 59 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.