Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePanTrop
enthusiast
Loc: Washington
Anyone Ever built, or in the process of building an incubator??
    #92242 - 01/29/00 06:48 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I have found all the needed componets to build a rather cheap and effective incubator almost identical in function to a egg incubator, but it wont have humidity as our jars dont need humidity to incubate. Im just courious to know if anyone has built one?

------------------
"To all the weed I've smoked......yo this blunts for you"

"To all the people I've offended.....Yea, FUCK YOU TOO!
~Quote from Eminem~

~PanTrop~

--------------------
" My mind dont work if my spine dont jerk!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Anyone Ever built, or in the process of building an incubator?? [Re: PanTrop]
    #92243 - 01/29/00 08:32 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

My incubator is quite simple. First of all, Start w/a large card board box. Make sure It is large enough to house a rubber maid container that is 1'6" by 2'6". Wrap a down sleeping bag or a few blankets around the container for extra insulation. The heat source consists of a thermostat wired to a light fixture . The whole unit is placed in a large tin can that is mounted to the middle of the rubber maid container. Use a 40 watt bulb and play around w/your settings untill your happy w/the temp. I keep mine around 80 degrees.

[This message has been edited by The Alchemist (edited January 29, 2000).]

Anonymous

Re: Anyone Ever built, or in the process of building an incubator?? [Re: PanTrop]
    #92244 - 01/30/00 10:18 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

My incubator (for petris) consists of a small styrofoam (1 1/2" thick) cooler. It has dimensions of 15" wide, 8" high and 22" long. I have a home made digital temperature controller with an external probe suspended in the air inside the cooler. I use a heating blanket underneith which is switched via the controller. I keep this to within 1 degree of optimal 84-86 temp. I have a similar setup for jars and casings but consists of larger, food type styrofoam coolers and infra red heat lamps.

I also have a setup for my Ball python that uses a 60watt ceramic element, the only thing here (desirable for snakes) is that it creates a hot spot. I am conisdering using a separate heat box with fan to provide more even heat for a big incubator. Ultimately I'd like to find an old (non working) bar fridge due to its excellent insulation and shelves.

InvisibleOdin 13
Excitable Boy

#92245 - 01/29/00 11:10 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Call up the beverage distributers in your area, those big refridgeration coolers you buy pop/beer out of are usually supplied by the distributer. When they die and can't be fixed economically, then they usually sit outside their bldg. till they make a dump run. Be nice and offer to haul one off if they have it, and you might just end up with one.

Offlinelares
    #92246 - 01/30/00 04:16 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

Anonymous

#92247 - 01/30/00 08:53 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Eh, nice idea about the beverage cooler guys, thanx man, it's worth a shot : )

Anonymous

#92248 - 02/04/00 06:50 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Adjustable heating pad underneath a rubbermaid container, set inside a box or on a dark closet shelf.

InvisibleAnubisRonin
enthusiast
    #92249 - 02/05/00 05:40 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Has anybody experienced drying of their jars because of this??

Anonymous

#92250 - 02/05/00 07:01 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I only ever used to use sealed jars (metal lid inverted so metal is to glass) and I never has moisture problems. I am going with a filter disk setup this time so I will let you know. Stamets recommends drilling a 3/8 to 1/2" hole in a metal lide and then putting a filter disk underneith, he says that it prevents excess drying.

Offlinelares
    #92251 - 02/06/00 07:41 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I've never had problems with jars drying out in any variation on the incubation theme.

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

InvisibleHeruuka
 User Gallery
Temp Control Schems [Re: Anonymous]
    #649840 - 05/28/02 03:24 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Dirtydog, i'd be real interested in seeing the schematics for that temp controller!
thats right up my alley!
thanks
H

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #650255 - 05/28/02 08:20 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

>Im just courious to know if anyone has built one?
Yes, http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm .

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds