Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
air exchange during colonization
    #921602 - 10/01/02 05:17 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

hi, i've got some jars colonizing right now with Puerto Rican and Florida strains.

I still have tape over the innoculation holes, so as far as I know, there is very little air exchange within my jars. I kept the tape on so that they would not be subject to contamination, but is this tape slowing my growth dramatically? Is the upper vermiculite layer supposed to do what the tape is doing for me now? My vermiculite layer seems to have shrunken during the sterilization process (it doesnt really cover the whole top surface of the cake, much of it has fallen down around the sides).

any help, thanks

--------------------
Be Here Now

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: air exchange during colonization [Re: I_Stain_Blue]
    #921609 - 10/01/02 05:24 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yep, the verm layer is their to help ward off airborne contaminants, and though it is not 100% effective, it helps alot. I'd recommend leaving the tape on up until close to 50% colonization, as there should be plenty of air trapped inside the jar for the mycellium at least until then. It sounds like maybe your jars got dried out and the substrate shrank if you have room on the sides for the plain verm to fall down.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

OfflineDISCGOLFNDOSE
Chain Ringer
Loc: International Waters (Oil...
Re: air exchange during colonization [Re: StS]
    #921876 - 10/01/02 09:16 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

? never use tape anymore it seemed to take way to damd long you will cut a week or more off the colonizing time by covering with foil and no tape. :grin:

--------------------
Leave me alone I'm a Botanist not a Mycologist.

gRiP-n-RiP

OfflineGreen_Velvet
Super Human HipHop Head
Loc: La La Land
    #921880 - 10/01/02 09:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Did you put the lid with the seal side up? If so it shouldn't matter if the tape covers the holes. If you put the seal side down and decide that you need to remove the tape just make sure to put foil over the jar. Another thing the helps to speed up colonization is to flip the jar over after its about half done.

InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
Re: air exchange during colonization [Re: Green_Velvet]
    #925451 - 10/02/02 05:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

it seems to me that sealing the substrate off from the air using aluminum foil would prevent air exchange equally as having tape over the holes? would someone mind explaining how aluminum foil promotes air exchange? or just explaining in general what is the best way to get the substrate air without contaminating it....ive got tons of rubbing alcohol laying around

--------------------
Be Here Now

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #925475 - 10/02/02 06:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You can't really get a complete seal with foil whereas a tight lid with tape over the holes makes for a pretty good seal.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #925484 - 10/02/02 06:05 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Foil wrinkles leaving spaces for air exchange . Tape seals opening better allowing less air exchange .
Different method , but here are my findings .............
I have kept my jars sealed , no holes , no tape , no foil, just inverted lids  . I cracked a few jars open(loosened tops) , I noticed the ones left sealed up grew faster . I also leave jars upside down in cabinet except to inspect or shake (using grain ). So far no contams though . 6T has neat idea of using coffee filters rubber banded on top to prevent contams from entering . :cool:
Good Luck 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation