Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
PA Gyms?
    #9127676 -








Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: lukeduke711]
    #9127717 -

I was just coming to your other thread to say the spore deposit should look like this:



:lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Honestly, tho, that's a tough call dude. I can't say I see anything that tells me this is an active Gymnopolis. Looks more like a Cortinarius, and this genus is nothing to play with.

Well, I do see a possible ring zone maybe :doh:


--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Edited by LouiseLouise (10/24/08 04:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: lukeduke711]
    #9127734 -

I don't think so, but even if they are, the gills on those are pretty beat.
I think they are more likely a pholiota. You could take a spore print, but I doubt that you will get a good print from those mushrooms, as the gills are soggy and probably growing healthy colonies of bacteria. If you don't eat rotten food, don't eat rotten mushrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: falcon]
    #9127907 -

i dont think those look rotten, there past there prime obviously but not rotten

but still take falcons advice and dont eat them

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #9127996 -

Trust me, those are rotten.

When I put gills that look like that under the scope I can find spores, but its always a big messy soup of bacteria as well. 

They do look a lot like Cortinarius or Pholiota, though my guess is that they are Gymnopilus.  But without more pics of fresh specimens and the spore print, all I can do is guess.  Incorrectly, no doubt.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9154210 -

so if I let them sit and dry out, than can I eat em?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9154218 -

yeah, those are nasty. for further evidence, as gyms take a while to dry, even sliced, have any of you ever tried to dry specimens in that condition? they continue rotting before you can get the moisture out.


--------------------



Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: canid]
    #9154279 -

thats one soggy mushroom, throw it at someone and watch it splatta

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: lukeduke711]
    #9154592 -

No!  Don't eat anything that is:

a.  Rotten

b.  Uncertain Identity


I doubt Cortinarius, as the stipe is off to the side as if it had been growing from the side of a log.

I also tend to think it isn't a Pholiota as the cap seems to be lacking any scales or fibrils, which are apparent on most yellow-orange Pholiota species even when they are very wet.  Also, the gills look too orange, I would expect the gills to be more brown and less orange if it was Pholiota.

I think it is probably a Gymnopilus.  Only a few Gymnopilus species are active, and this doesn't look like one of those species.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: CureCat]
    #9154935 -

Yea, that shroom is on the way of rotting. If you try to dry it out, you'll probably end up with a soupy mess. It does resemble a gym but can't tell which type because it is too far gone. Any younger/fresher specimens? By the way, the type of gyms you want to look for are gymnopilus luteus and gymnopilus spectabilis.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PA Gyms? [Re: gandalf579]
    #9155157 -

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/gymnopilus_sapineus.html

It kinda looks like this, not a sayin it is though

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* ID Request on possible PA Gym?? RacheyF 990 10 09/30/10 10:05 PM
by The Thinker
* Another ID Request-NE PA Gym and a Pluteus? Karma_Coma 669 3 06/19/10 06:34 PM
by landsnorkler
* ID Request NE PA. Gyms? Karma_Coma 375 2 08/29/10 05:13 PM
by heavenuzer
* Central PA? phillyblunts 488 2 10/13/07 12:13 PM
by phillyblunts
* Laughing Gyms in Melbourne - id and ARE THEY ACTIVE?
( 1 2 all )
Feelers 4,303 21 04/20/10 11:08 PM
by mycot
* Last attempt for the night in PA vladtheimpaler 747 12 09/02/11 11:34 PM
by vladtheimpaler
* Blueing Gyms Dubwobble 2,598 18 06/10/11 09:18 PM
by ehtdaedlufetarg
* Possible Gym sp. in PA
( 1 2 all )
vladtheimpaler 2,060 32 09/02/11 11:43 PM
by vladtheimpaler

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
646 topic views. 0 members, 9 guests and 127 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.