Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
any traditional wet shavers out there?
    #9132003 -

ive be digging the feel of a double edge saftey razor shave now for while.

my fist setup was a merkur futur with feather blades. was wayy to agressive. i switched to derby blades still agressive. so i got rid of the futur and get me a e-3 gillette fatboy (last quarter of 1959)















i havnt shaved with it yet im waiting on my tangerine and tulip mama bear soap

my typical shave

futur with derby blades
fulvix badger hair brush
mama bear cool citrus and basil shave soap
proraso aftershave
crabtree and evelyn west indian lime cologne

so fresh so clean :tongue2:


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: sketchydelux]
    #9132008 -

shave? whats that?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #9132052 -

you never shaved before?


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: sketchydelux]
    #9132193 -

not old enough :confused:


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: sketchydelux]
    #9132205 -

you buy cologne from crabtree and evelyn? :lol:


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: Chairman Meow]
    #9132219 -

yup shave soap too

wouldnt catch me going into the store tho


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: sketchydelux]
    #9132220 -

I thought traditional shaving was done with a straight razor.  And who shaves anyways?


--------------------
The human experience is such that we are caught between being monkies and gods.  It is up to us to decide which direction to go in.

Everything is everything, and everything is becoming itself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: Chairman Meow]
    #9132227 -

i like to use an old stone i widdled into a blade it works nicely


--------------------

I want to show you life for what it's worth, from beginning to end from when your life was first launched 'till when it descends back to earth. From pyramiding at it's peak 'till when it turns back into dirt..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: upinthetrees]
    #9132239 -

Yes, if you have to shave it is to be done with flint or obsidian.


--------------------
The human experience is such that we are caught between being monkies and gods.  It is up to us to decide which direction to go in.

Everything is everything, and everything is becoming itself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: SvampViking]
    #9132256 -

if you are an adult you have to shave at some point.

maybee this thread is for people closer or 30 than 15

straight razor shaving - honing and stroping blades is somthing i havnt gotten into yet but probably will.

a proper straight razor and strop , compound and hones are spendy. some day.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: sketchydelux]
    #9132263 -

You won't have to shave if you keep your beard respectable.


--------------------
The human experience is such that we are caught between being monkies and gods.  It is up to us to decide which direction to go in.

Everything is everything, and everything is becoming itself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: SvampViking]
    #9132276 -

Thought about it, but I think I am good with my Mach 3. 

Is there any advantage to the old school razors?  Seems like people moved on for a reason.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: sketchydelux]
    #9132278 -

Yeah, those razors are pretty cool.  You just have to make sure that when you are shaving your neck you push real hard with sideways motions so you can get the best shave possible.


--------------------
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither, and will lose both.      ~ Benjamin Franklin ~

"Let me tell you about a Porcupine's balls.  They're small, and they don't give a SHIT!"  ~Danny~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: Ogre812]
    #9132286 -

:lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: sketchydelux]
    #9132289 -

sketchydelux said:
yup shave soap too

wouldnt catch me going into the store tho



Yeah the store is beyond girly with all of the little flowers all over the windows. That would have been hilarious to see though.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: badchad]
    #9132328 -

badchad said:
Thought about it, but I think I am good with my Mach 3. 

Is there any advantage to the old school razors?  Seems like people moved on for a reason.



with a mach 3 i will have to make 3 passes with a fresh blade with what i could with a double edged blade

i get a 3 oclock shadow as well. i can lie tho i use a mach 3 to shave my head a double edged blade would take too damn long(dangerous too).

when i get a good shave with my fatboy i can shave the night before and wake up baby ass smooth.

the cost of blades is alot cheaper as well, more shave out of one blade (double edge and sided)

quiet a bunch if pros - not to many cons


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: sketchydelux]
    #9132400 -

Quote:
You won't have to shave if you keep your beard respectable.



Not always true. 

As much as I hate shaving and as often as I have to shave to maintain a clean face, the Fusion 5 is the only way to go.  I used to use the Xtreme3 but when they went straight disposable, they went to total shit.  Fusion is good, but pricey as fuck.

I don't see anyone abandoning calculators for slide rules, why ditch shaving tech?


--------------------


I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Edited by thedefone (10/25/08 03:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: badchad]
    #9132417 -

badchad said:
Thought about it, but I think I am good with my Mach 3. 

Is there any advantage to the old school razors?  Seems like people moved on for a reason.



Old school razors do give you a very smooth shave. One thing I noticed when using them was that I got absolutely no razor burn. On the downside though, they're hard to learn how to use. If you nick your skin, it's not a like a Mach 3 nick, it's like a small fountain of blood shooting out of your face. It's very easy to get cut with those razors if you make a slip up.

I stopped using mine because I found it to be a big hassle to use. I probably wasn't using it right... But I've never seen anyone use one before so I just kinda had to guess how to do it, lol.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: sketchydelux]
    #9132486 -

Cool thread sketchydelux. Man I dig old school shaving and until you brought it up I never would have thought about it. I use a Gillette sensor but the blades are getting so damned expensive. I think this is an area I need to investigate. A pack of blades is maybe $5? That beats the 15 bucks for 5 Gillette blades and the old school blades are much sharper...

OK so here is my shaving hint for you guys....NOXEMA...yup the old lady face cream that comes in the blue tub that smells funky. Its all natural, no alcohol, and leaves your face feeling clean and non-oily. AND ITS CHEAP. I got turned on to this by an old timer because I was complaining about razor burn all the time. I started using Noxema and no more razor burn. I don't know what it is about the stuff but it works great..just my 2 cents

So off I go to ebay looking for a fatboy!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: any traditional wet shavers out there? [Re: Gumby]
    #9132505 -

Gumby said:
badchad said:
Thought about it, but I think I am good with my Mach 3. 

Is there any advantage to the old school razors?  Seems like people moved on for a reason.



Old school razors do give you a very smooth shave. One thing I noticed when using them was that I got absolutely no razor burn. 



multi blade razors are overkill. each blade pulls the hair up yoinking then cutting. cause irration ingrown hairs ect.

the steel that oldschool blades are made of (quality ones) is superior. for instance derby blades are chromium steel plated in tungsten and platinum then coated in polymer. i get about 10-12 shave per 1 blade 5 blades cost 1.50

the carbon steel in the new school multiblades , after they go dull purly rely on just the pulling action to remove hair- which irrates even worse.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I'm afraid to shave again.
( 1 2 all )
NewbieS 5,408 27 07/12/06 08:05 PM
by d33p
* i shaved my hair, do i look retarded or not?
( 1 2 all )
DistortedEyes 4,599 31 08/23/07 02:32 PM
by KilroyMilosevik
* Gonna shave off my beard..... Rahie 980 9 03/22/07 11:01 PM
by CaptainH13
* I need shaving help
( 1 2 3 all )
RandalFlagg 4,289 42 11/10/04 06:28 PM
by StonedShroom
* Anyone use a DE safety razor? Gumby 1,861 18 08/25/06 04:28 PM
by Gumby
* male shaving! come post your valued opinions.
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
mycopsycho 19,315 161 04/18/11 02:38 PM
by propensity
* anyone here ever used a straight razor
( 1 2 all )
grymmtymm 3,665 25 01/04/09 03:40 PM
by jazzillion
* Fucking razor burn.
( 1 2 all )
jazzillion 2,465 21 08/07/08 12:25 AM
by Brainiac

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,628 topic views. 4 members, 29 guests and 280 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.