Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Fungus Gnats in PF Cakes - No Houseplants
    #9103210 -

Before anyone suggests using the search engine, I already have and I know how I will deal with the problem. My question is, how did the problem start?

First of all, it's a bit late in the season for flies and gnats in my area. Secondly, I've read that the gnats breed in houseplants, then snack on mushrooms. Thing is, I have no houseplants (cats will destroy them). We don't keep food sitting out, and the house is generally quite clean.

Now, I only ever see the gnats on two of my five cakes (all in the same FC). Those two cakes (one PE, one B+) had started to pin before the other three (one PE, two B+), but since I first noticed the gnats, they appear to have stalled while the other three are fruiting nicely. These two also have a lot of bruising, and there is a tiny little hole on the side of one cake. The hole is shallow, but is the right size to house one adult gnat. I've never seen more than 4 adult gnats at a time in my FC.

I've read that the gnats don't really cause much damage, but they appear to be harming those two cakes of mine, while ignoring the almost-ready-to-harvest shrooms on the other cakes. One cake has two pins that haven't changed size in a few days, and the other had one pin that aborted, with no new pins since.

If I manage to get rid of the adult gnats, will my two stalled cakes recover, or is it possible that there are gnat larvae in them? I don't know where else there could be larvae in the house. And why aren't they bothering my three fruiting cakes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fungus Gnats in PF Cakes - No Houseplants [Re: Norton]
    #9103229 -

Just a quick question: Did you purchase your spawn substrate or did you make it and sterilize it yourself?


--------------------
To Quote Voltaire: "God created man in his image and man returned the favor". Does this say something about man, or God?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fungus Gnats in PF Cakes - No Houseplants [Re: Big Red] * 1
    #9103236 -

They don't breed in fully colonized cakes, and don't eat enough to cause harm.  Set an almost empty bottle of red wine in the area and they'll fly in there and get trapped.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fungus Gnats in PF Cakes - No Houseplants [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9103259 -

I'm using BRF/Verm cakes, mixed and pressure-cooked myself.


Good to know that they won't breed in my cakes. I just find it odd that they're not going for my mushrooms, and only hanging around on my two non-fruiting cakes. Also, that tiny hole had me worried.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fungus Gnats in PF Cakes - No Houseplants [Re: Norton]
    #9106628 -

They like to snack. You can use wine like RR stated I have had luck with small jars of vegtable oil and also coating strips of plastic with vegtable oil (good fly paper) they stick it it then you can just toss them out.


--------------------
Commonly asked questions that have been answered far too many times.

PF Tek Videos
NOOB? Then read this
Grow Bag Pointers
Hygrometer Calibration
Incubation Temperatures
Best lighting source
Contaminants
Grow Guides

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Questions about optimum yields using PF CAKES pajawoa 3,330 10 11/21/02 09:24 PM
by TeKn0
* Possible fuiting/hydration TEK for PF cakes ministry 1,473 2 04/21/03 11:29 PM
by fungus888
* Unfruited PF cake dosage and ingestion question. gribochek 6,187 13 01/07/02 12:01 PM
by ar393
* Picture of PF CAKE... Is this looking alright?? pajawoa 2,852 9 11/24/02 08:52 PM
by rhizo
* what should PF cake feel like?? pajawoa 1,614 4 11/24/02 01:03 PM
by swede
* slicing PF cakes in half and using traditional PF tek Ayrios 1,452 3 12/29/02 02:36 AM
by GratefulDread
* No pins on PF cakes Meatbandit 1,755 2 01/22/03 11:15 AM
by Angry Mycologist
* PF Cake Poll Nirvhead 993 2 02/03/03 11:54 AM
by BladeLSD

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,848 topic views. 11 members, 75 guests and 194 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.