Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStonewall
Mad Scientist

Loc: MI, USA
an excited hunter's first haul. ID, please.
    #8863541 - 09/01/08 10:53 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well, a buddy of mine and I went out (It was my first time hnting, and his first in the coastal mid-michigan area), and we came back with at lkeast five different species. IDs would be appreciated! We foolishly forgot the camera, and couldnt take habitat pics, but only #1 came from a wooded area. The rest were on the beach, surrounded by beach-type grass and flora, but growing mostly in the sand. Were not really interested in eating any of these, Im just curious and happy to learn what, if anything, they can do, especially if they have medicinal effects of any kind.

#1:
Habitat:
We found this one in some woods east of a local beach. Its only a couple hundred yards off, but the sands nonexistant there, replaced by moist soil. This particular shroom was growing on decomposing wood (underground), surrounded by dense grass and bamboo.

Gills:
the gills were a yellow or cream color, tightly packed and not attatched to the stem.

Stem:
The stem was 1/8 wide, and it looked almost stringy on the inside. Maybe meaty would be a better word for it. It started a similar color to the cap or gills before bruising.

Cap:
3/4 wide, cream colored cap with lil brown speckles. Cap was convex and almost circular in shape.

Spore print color:
Im afraid I couldnt get my hands on a good spore print out of this sample. If that means I cant get a good ID, Ill try again tomorrow. :wink:

Bruising:
It bruised a light beige color that got darker with more handling.

Other information:

This particular mushroom was growing about 2 tall.

^ #1 Topside

^ #1 Bottomside

Habitat:
Growing isolated in solid sand. Sparce grass and stuff, but nothing nearby.

Gills:
loosely packed, white gills. Unattatched to the stem... I think (about 95% sure, but Im new, so not entirely)

Stem:
1/16 wide stem. Its insides looked strange, lake staring at a sponge on the inside. It looked almost porous.

Cap:
1 1/2 cap of a cream or white color thats almost gold, curved in on itself. I think you call that concave? The caps in a oval shape, just like most of the others like it we found but didnt bring home.

Spore Print Color:
White

Bruising:
No visible bruising.

Other Information:
Shroom Number dos, we found was about 1 tall.

^ #2 topside

^ #2 Underside

Habitat:
Number three we found growing alone, but within a few inches of each other, growing on sand with a little grass here and there around it.

Gills:
Gills were a darker orange shade that tempts me to say brown, and were not connected to the stem. Tightly packed.

Stem:
It should be said, as I cut the stem, I found about ten small, white worms within. Im wondering if that had anything to do with the pitiful spore print I got?

the stem was 1/2 wide, and the best word I can think of for the inside is meaty, but I use the term loosely. It was kind of a yellow-brown color, similar, if not identical, to the gills.

Cap:
1&3/4 wide at its widest, and flat. Its color was yellow or golden brown, similar to the sand we found it on.

Spore Print Color:
What little spore print I could get off of it was brown.

Bruising:
No visible Bruising

Other Information:
Shroom #3 grew a proud 2&1/2 up from the sand.

^ #3 Topside

^ #3 Underside

Habitat:
Number four was found growing alone, but pretty close to others like it, with a denser growth of grass around it than most of the others.

Gills:
Gills are black and small, and not connected to the stem. They were tightly packed, I think. But youll get to see for yourself in the pics anyway.

Stem:
The stem was hollow and 1/8 wide.

Cap:
The cap was 3/4 wide at its widest, and kind of cone-ish in shape. The gills kind of showe din a imprint-type thing on the other side, making it look sort of like a seashell. Its orange on top, but going further down to the middle it gets creamier in color, turnign to a blackish-green the further down you go, and then at the very bottom its a dark, inky black.

Spore Print Color:
A solid black, and very thick too, if that helps.

Other Information:
Mushroom four was dwarfed by most of the others, standing at 1&1/2 tall.

^ #4 Sideshot

^ #4 Undershot

Habitat:
My buddys the one who found #5, so I cant say exactly what the living conditions was like, but the general area was a patch of sand that raised up slowly by a few inches, with tall grass growing on the higher parts. It looked like he picked it from the ground between grass, but I cant say for sure.

Gills:
gills are tightly packed and yellowish in color.

Stem:
The stem was thin, at 3/16. The insides here, like for #2, was porous looking, or maybe meaty, on the inside.

Cap:
a dark orange or lighter brown with ridges of the same color, 1 wide and... Im not sure how to describe the shape. It looks sort of like the bottom half of an acorn... but youll see it in the pictures anyway.

Spore Print Color:
brown, perhaps a little darker than #3s would have been if it were better, but maybe the same color.

Other Information:

This shroom stood at 2 tall.

^ #5 topside

^ #5 bottomside

--------------------
The ultimate good is like water. It nourishes all things without trying to, content with the lowly places people disdain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: an excited hunter's first haul. ID, please. [Re: Stonewall]
    #8863572 - 09/01/08 10:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

1) Lepiota
2) Maybe Marasmius or Gymnopus
3) Probably Tricholoma or Cortinarius
4) Coprinellus micaceus
5) Inocybe

BTW some of your spore print colors are wrong.  Try making the print on tinfoil next time.

OfflineStonewall
Mad Scientist

Loc: MI, USA
Re: an excited hunter's first haul. ID, please. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8863606 - 09/01/08 11:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, really fast! Thanks! I'll try the spore prints on the foil next time like you suggested. I was kind fo wondering if the worms I found in #3 had anything to do with the less-than-desirable spore print I got from them? They were little white things, if that helps....

--------------------
The ultimate good is like water. It nourishes all things without trying to, content with the lowly places people disdain.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale