Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLogosLinguist
Sentinel

Loc: Pac NW
ID help please.
    #2182817 - 12/16/03 04:44 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, I just moved down to the South Sound area from Alaska. I've been hunting mushrooms for the last month or so and have since discovered I must be the worlds worst active mushroom hunter. However, I have found several different mushrooms and I find it quite entertaining to attempt to ID them. If anyone could assist me in this process, or verify my assumptions it would be greatly appreciated!

This first mushroom was found by the hundreds in a cow field. It is very viscid to the touch, has a purple spore print which fades to black on drying, has a definite separable pellicle and often grows directly from dung. I am guessing this is a semiglobata. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

These next mushrooms are very small and delicate and have a cinnamon brown spore deposit. They were found in a cow field as well growing deep in long grasses. I am guessing they may be some Conocybe species.

The next picture contains four different types of mushrooms. I don't have much information about any of them. The one in the upper left hand corner was found in long grass on the side of the road. It light brown before drying and left a purple brown spore deposit.

Those in the lower left hand corner were found in a clear cut on wood mulch and looked much like the pictures of pelliculosa I have seen before they dried. I was unable to get a spore print.

Those in the lower right corner grow directly from dung and have a black spore print. I am guessing some species of paneolous.

And finally, the one in the upper right hand corner was growing in a cow field as well. It was the only one of it's kind I could find anywhere. I however neglected to get a print. I don't really have a clue on this one.

This is my first post in the hunting forum. Feel free to bitch slap me if it is an absurdly stupid post. Any help offered will be very appreciated. I love hunting and identifying mushrooms and this bored has been the best resource I have found for educating myself. Thanks again.

Jason

--------------------
"Great men will never conform to the standards of small men, and he whos mission it is to overturn the world can hardly escape the title of revolutionary" Aleister Crowley

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID help please. [Re: LogosLinguist]
    #2183006 - 12/16/03 05:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

as to the first one, i have no idea at the moment, and you may be right with your guess.

for the second, conocybe sounds rightfrom the habitat, print color and general apearance, though i've not seen conocybes with such deeply striate caps.

the specimen in the top left of the third pic is going to be unidentifiable without any clear view of the stipe, gills, etc.

the specimen in the top right looks to be Panaeolina foenisecii, though it cold be a Panaeolus species.

the bottom left group of specimens could be many things. you would need to give me more details. they are not Psilocybe pelliculosa.

those in the bottom right are panaeolus a Panaeolus species, probably P. campantulatus group.

by the way: where in alaska are you from?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2183089 - 12/16/03 05:50 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Actually, your guesses don't sound stupid. And the only way you'll get better at identifying to keep trying. Identifying mushrooms is not easy.

Remember to try to get to a genus before you try for a species. Too often beginners try to guess the species first and the genus seems almost an afterthought.

With many genera (for example, Conocybe and Galerina), identification to species is possible only with a microscope. You can make some good educated guesses without a microscope, but one is required for accurate identification.

Start making a habit of slicing a specimen from each collection in half vertically. It helps you see the gill attachment, and you can scrape one of the halves with your knife edge to bruise it to check for color changes. You'll also see things like whether the stem is solid or hollow, and if the cap flesh is thick or thin.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineLogosLinguist
Sentinel

#2183266 - 12/16/03 06:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the help guys. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Concrete, I am from Ketchikan, which is southern southeast AK. I wanted to let people know that I used to harvest active psilocybes every fall from one particular lawn in that town. It seems that the general consensus is that no native psilocybes exist in that state. These mushrooms looked exactly like the pictures of P. Subfimetaria in Stamets's book. I know a macroscopic ID such as this is unreliable, but at the time I was not aware of spore printing, etc. I'm fairly sure these were not native to the area, because they only appeared in that one lawn. They fruited every fall for five or six years, but have since disappeared. I have always been curious as to their origin, perhaps someone else might be able to speculate on this matter. If this is the wrong forum for such musings, please let me know. Again, thanks for the help.

Jason

--------------------
"Great men will never conform to the standards of small men, and he whos mission it is to overturn the world can hardly escape the title of revolutionary" Aleister Crowley

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2183293 - 12/16/03 06:52 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i know Ketchikan. i grew up in Juneau. without question, the most wonderful state in the us, at least of those i've been too :laugh:.

as far as your Psilocybe, that is interesting indeed. are there any specific details you can give?

i'm rather sure Panaeolus subbalteatus has been reported from Ak, and it fruits from lawns, but then again, it does not look much like P. subfimetaria. if you have any details, i'd be interested to hear them.

good lluck and welcome to the shroomery.

peace,
concrete.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineLogosLinguist
Sentinel

#2183352 - 12/16/03 07:08 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Concrete,

Good to find a fellow Alaskan on the board! As for the psilocybes I used to harvest, I began when I was about 15. Microscopic details were completely beyond me at that point. The mushrooms looked like a dark blue/gray colored liberty cap. They exhibited a definite bluing reaction as well. They would grow in large clusters of 100+ mushrooms. We would harvest about a pound at a time. Also, these mushrooms were quite potent. It's been years since I've had them, but I remember it taking about 10-12 fresh specimens to induce an intense experience. Then again I was a lot younger and smaller than too. If you look up P. Subfimetaria in Stamets PMOTW, they looked just like them. I am certain they were not a Paneolous species. The yard they were found in makes it even more curious, but I'm not naming specific places on here, no matter how obscure it might be to most people. I guess there is some more info for ya to chew on for awhile.

Jason

--------------------

Invisibletherealrodekill
Stranger
Male

Loc: Alaska
    #9290262 - 11/22/08 06:21 AM (8 years, 17 days ago)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #9290303 - 11/22/08 06:42 AM (8 years, 17 days ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Let the dead rest.

Don't dig up 4 year old threads please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification