Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF
    #885677 -

I know that BRF is a newbie kind of way to go about it, but has anyone ever tried to substitute potato(e) flakes for BRF? I have seen potato(e) flakes mentioned in some agar recopies, but not in one for jar-based substrate. Furthermore, having seen the honey teks, and a few mentions of teks involving Beer and Sugar, there must be some common element among them off of which P.Cubenis thrives. The only thing that I can think of the is really in common between all of them is that Potatoes, BRF and Brown Rice, Honey, etc, all are a large source of carbohydrates. I have not read any of the cultivation books that are in print, so forgive me if I am addressing something covered therein, but am I correct in thinking that saccharides which are contained in the aforementioned items play major role in the development and growth of dikaryotic mycelium? If so, has anybody isolated which these carbohydrate(s). If I am way off base, let me know, I suppose a newbie has got to learn somehow.


--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #886345 -

moved


--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #886441 -

maybe you'd get a better feed back in the advanced forum :cool: 


--------------------
Peace, Love & Bong Water

??d??hL?????$

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
[Re: Buddahlicious]
    #886450 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: Buddahlicious]
    #886650 -

Yeah, I kinda though it belonged in the advanced forum too, concidering it is an experimental technique, and it was certainly addressing more advanced issues than a lot of the stupid questions in here, and sometimes there for that matter, but wtf do I know?



--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #886657 -

So...(personal question) What the fuck DO you know?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #886684 -

lol


-XiC


--------------------
Don't soak your WBS dummy! There's an =>easy<= way.
For Your Health!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: XiC_clone]
    #886701 -

HAW!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: matts]
    #886702 -

"p.cubes like grains...there's an agar recipe which uses an extract from potatos, it might work...but i doubt the kind you buy and mix with water will work...and then there's a challenge to get the water content just right"

I did a search and found only 4 total posts which contained "potatoe flakes" and all of them were agar related.  It was my feeling too that, since cubies did so well off of grain, that they might not do as well off of potatoes. However, I know that some of the substrate materials seem to be mainly carbohydrates, so that, in connection with the knowledge that potatoe agar was used in cultivation, led to the question in my mind whether or not one could use potatoe flakes. I'm not even sure they are real potatoes, but it is worth a shot.

What I was really more curious about though, was what specific nutrient(s) contained in BRF, grains, Honey, etc, does mycelia feed off of. There has to be some common organic compounds among substrates that the mycelia lives off of and derives its nutrients from. I mean, it just doesn't live off of "grain." There are certain ones that work, some that don't, and some that produce better results than others. Obviously there are certain key nutrients which are vital to the growth of mycelia. If this is true it may be possilble to create the optimal combination of compounds in order to produce the best and strongest growth mycelia.....once again, something that I felt was a slightly more advanced topic of discussion, now it gets to sit here with the rest of the folks trying to figure out the PF Tek, and I get to sit here and pout because my post got moved where I didn't want it.  :tongue: 


--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #886706 -

More than some, not nearly as much as a lot. Definately not enough to answer my question!


--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #886756 -

yes your question has been covered except for attempting to use potatoe flakes as a sub for brf. that part may belong in advanced/ experimental.

as far as sugars, yes mycelium eats mostly sugar, particularly fructose. honey gets used a lot for the protiens, b vitamins and especially some natural antibiotics that the bees put in the honey to keep it from spoiling. before honey came into vogue, molasses was the preferred material amoung professional mycologists, and the major books on the subject suggest it rather than honey for licuid innoculant. for solid substrates, most any complex carbohydrates work. mushroom mycelium has enzymes and acids that break them down into simpler sugars. individual species and strains have their favored foods they have adapted to, we constantly experiment to find better/ cheaper/ easier ones. there is allways room for a new substrate that favors mycelium of mushrooms and discourages that of molds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: tchyted]
    #886811 -

I should perhaps have started a new thread, but I believe it's rather relevant, so I'll post it here.

How about rye flour? Rye grain substrates for casing, BRF... Rye flour?  :crazy: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: tchyted]
    #887181 -

Rock on tchyted!! Thanks!
After doing some nosing around I also found another answer to my question. Looks like I need to buy TMC.


--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
[Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #887212 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: matts]
    #887480 -

:cool: :cool: :laugh: :grin: Thank you! 


--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #887504 -

Potato(e) Flakes would gum up things too much.

The Mycelium needs to be able to grow between spaces and has a hard tim growing through stuff.


--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Potato Flakes Bi0TeK 3,799 18 05/14/03 12:32 PM
by Roadkill
* Ingredients of Instant Potato Flakes SumGuy 3,747 6 12/18/02 02:48 PM
by debianlinux
* Potatoe substrate
( 1 2 all )
ChuangTzu 4,106 31 03/10/05 06:56 AM
by Bi0TeK
* Recipie for potato agar? total 4,051 3 06/02/11 03:46 AM
by woodylover
* potato BOMB lol *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
sleepy 3,898 21 03/16/06 06:03 AM
by blackout
* home made potato Dextrose Phychotron 4,174 12 03/24/03 10:44 PM
by Phychotron
* BRF Inadequacy Recovery JacobM 1,064 6 01/20/04 05:27 AM
by utopianglory
* Ever innoculate a Potatoe??
( 1 2 all )
Sillycybe 3,351 22 01/17/03 06:28 PM
by REDCONTROL

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
2,867 topic views. 11 members, 48 guests and 84 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.