Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJacobM
Stranger

Loc: Texas
BRF Inadequacy Recovery
    #2253360 - 01/19/04 06:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could sterilize brown rice flour. My friend made a couple PF TEK jars but put very little BRF so we?re planning on crumbling the cakes up into a big zip lock bag (that is if they even do completely colonize even without the adequate amount of BRF) and sprinkle BRF onto the crumbled cakes and wait a couple days. Then go onto casing with just vermiculite. We're wanting to add the BRF because we'd like to see decent flushes.
1) Will this work?
2) Do I even need to sterilize the BRF?
3) What would happen if I mix BRF in with the vermiculite when I case?
4) Do you think that the jars will completely colonize even without the adequate amount of BRF?
Any suggestion, ideas, advice, answers, or criticism would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMex
Mother Earth
Male

Loc: ITA ~ Earth ~ 13:20
Re: BRF Inadequacy Recovery [Re: JacobM]
    #2253461 - 01/19/04 06:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Here is my opinion:

1)just try, if you think you added too less BRF, you won't have not
so much to lose;
2)I don't know if anything can happen by putting the BRF in the
oven for 1/2 hours at 250? C (anyone has an idea?); anyway a
sterilization I suppose it's necessary if you don't want any
contam;
3)don't know... sorry; :-(
4)In my experience with the cakes (see my post INCREDIBLE
colonization...) the BRF counts soooo much! I saw a big
difference between cakes poor of BRF and cakes rich of BRF.

Let us know something! ;-)

--------------------

OfflineMax1
MaxiMillion

#2253610 - 01/19/04 07:26 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

1) Will this work?
It may but isnt worth it. if your going to be adding anything to the crumble, add some Wild Bird Seed or just sprinkle that crumbled up cake on some pasturized straw. (if it makes it that far)

2) Do I even need to sterilize the BRF?
If your going to add anything to it, yes you should

3) What would happen if I mix BRF in with the vermiculite when I case?
The casing is fairly contam resistant if you case it with non nutritional casing. If you add BRF to it you are exposeing the casing to a contamination problem.

4) Do you think that the jars will completely colonize even without the adequate amount of BRF?
Depends on how short the jars are. If its just a little then dont worry about it and if they colinize then fruit them, If they dont then anything you do to help them only exposes them to desease. Best to wait on them and make up new jars just in case.

OfflineJacobM
Stranger

Re: BRF Inadequacy Recovery [Re: Max1]
    #2254307 - 01/19/04 11:12 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I did the math for aproximatly how much short of the BRF the jars are.
For this recipe: 1/2 cup verm + 1/4 cup BRF + 1/4 cup water. That recipe has about 5x more BRF then my jars.
For this recipe: 1/2 cup verm + 1/8 cup BRF + 1/4 cup water. That recipe has about 2-3x more BRF then my jars.
With that in mind what kind of success/failure do you think i am looking at? Thanks!

OfflineTheDarkSideof_Paco
Seeker

Loc: My basement
    #2254335 - 01/19/04 11:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

My prediction is they wont finish colonizing. If they do it will take a very long time. If they do though completely colonize I dont see any reason to add more BRF just dunk and fruit.

--------------------
"In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us."

Thich Nhat Hanh

OfflineJacobM
Stranger

Re: BRF Inadequacy Recovery [Re: TheDarkSideof_Paco]
    #2254526 - 01/20/04 12:07 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks everyone for your input. If anyone else thinks they can help me then don't hesitate to reply. Though i prefer the optimistic comments im well aware they all cannot be because of my HUGE error. Thanks.

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #2255180 - 01/20/04 07:27 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I don't personally think sprinkling brf is the best idea. Basically by reducing BRF you are reducing the carbohydrate and fibre content of the substrate. So you are looking to increase these nutrients. The lack of BRF would not really be detrimental to water levels (infact, if anything they would be a bit higher). However I am taking a stab in the dark because this question actually borders on the more advanced side, given the fact that one must really think about BRF's role in the substrate and the mushroom lifecycle

As you are presumably fairly new to this type of thing many of the options you have are quite difficult. The problem is if you inject the brf in a solution into the cakes they will probably rot due to heavy water content. If you sprinkle the brf on the cakes, the brf will either be extremely dry and/or a contamination hazard. So really, the way I see it you might have to consider spawning, that is - spawn some dung (horse or whatever), increasing your chances of getting a decent flush. Not necessarily a large amount of dung.

However this assumes that you do eventually attain atleast almost full colonisation, which may or may not happen.

My advice to you would be to start some new jars asap so you have backup and don't feel bad about taking chances, because in order to get anything but poor results you will need to take chances.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation