Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Potatoe substrate
    #3887237 - 03/08/05 02:41 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone tried potatoes as a substrate? I just can't find grain in bags bigger than 1kg where I live and it's damn expensive. I know I'll find a 50kg bag somewhere eventually, but until then potatoes, are about 0.3?/kg (like 20 cents/lb. or some shiat). I know they'll turn to instant mush in a PC, but I could mix them with some sturdy support. I just don't know what.

Any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Potatoe substrate [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #3887303 - 03/08/05 02:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ive grown mycelium on potatos before. I never could fruit it. When I tried to take the colonized potatos out of the jar they mashed into a goopy glob.

Dont waste your time, popcorn, birdseed, cracked corn, are easily availible and allot better.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
    #3887327 - 03/08/05 03:01 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

ive never heard of potatoes being used... ever. i really dont know what to say that would be of help other than stick with the teks that exist on this website. its okay if you cant find grain in bags bigger than 1kg, because grain expands a LOT once they're moistureized, so you dont really have to buy a whole lot. i dont know how many kg it would be, but 4 pounds of rye is enough for about 7-8 quarts.

for example, if you filled a quart jar half way with rye and let it soak overnight the quart jar will be full to the top.

edit- well damn... potatoes WILL grow mycellium... damn. i didnt konw that.

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

Edited by Edge (03/08/05 03:02 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Potatoe substrate [Re: Edge]
    #3887456 - 03/08/05 03:33 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Edge said:

just about anything will grow mycelium of some sort...

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
Re: Potatoe substrate [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3887468 - 03/08/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

haha, well my eyes have been opened quite a bit today.

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3887503 - 03/08/05 03:41 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

a strong coffe will do that to ya...

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Potatoe substrate [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3887869 - 03/08/05 04:57 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

you would want to use potatoe flakes and verm just like a brf cake

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Potatoe substrate [Re: tahoe]
    #3887877 - 03/08/05 05:00 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I doubt pris has time to piss around with potato flakes and brf  :grin:.

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #3887908 - 03/08/05 05:09 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I've had great success with wheat/vegetable crackers.

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3887959 - 03/08/05 05:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
you would want to use potatoe flakes and verm just like a brf cake

not me... grains are easier and more convienient, I tried the flakes once a couple years ago and wasnt happy with the results.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3888159 - 03/08/05 06:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Edge said:
ive never heard of potatoes being used... ever.

I can't believe youve never heard of PDA or liquid media made with boiled potatoes. PDA and MEA are the two most popular agars, PDA even moreso usually since you just need to boil some potatoes, no need to find malt extract. Maybe you had and just forgot that was potatoes? Or if you didnt, you know now!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Potatoe substrate [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3888174 - 03/08/05 06:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i never said its good, but if you wanted to use spuds then thats the way

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Potatoe substrate [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3892119 - 03/09/05 11:56 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dont waste your time, popcorn, birdseed, cracked corn, are easily availible and allot better.

I wouldn't even be thinking about trying this if they were easily available here.  Popcorn ~$2/lb., birdseed - doesn't exist here in the winter (read: most of the time), cracked corn - maybe in some specialty shop where it would cost even more than popcorn (most of the corn here is imported and considered a strange, American product that indians and cowboys eat : ). 

Potatoes on the other hand are practically free and in the quantities I need, I really can't afford to be buying any of the grains a kilo at a time.  I do seem to have access to plenty of hay, but I'm allergic and I hate the smell.  But sometimes you just have to take one for the team....  :tongue:

Oh, and "potatoe" in the title was a typo, I know it should be spelled potato, in case
anybody got the impression that I'm secretly Dan Quayle :stoned:

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3892170 - 03/09/05 12:08 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sucks to be you, i just got me a 50 pound bag of wbs for 9 dollars.

anyways wherever you are unless you are in the middle of the dessert or something you have access to all of them grains, you just havnt tried hard enough. sounds like a shity place to live, you guys dont even feed the birds huh?
no matter where you live there are some type of farmer who can get you grain and poop.

but potatos are out of the question, hominy, and some types of beans can grow shrooms, dont tell me no beans cause wexico has beans.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3892188 - 03/09/05 12:13 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

1 pound of grain will make you 2 quarts of substrate..it shouldnt be difficult to get 1-2 ounces off each quart of substrate. 2 bucks for 2-4 ounces of shrooms. Yeah man...horrible.

Or you could spend 5 bucks on a bag of potatoes. And get a quarter or something. But, good luck..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #3892192 - 03/09/05 12:13 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know that it is out of the question!

If you want to give it a shot I would suggest making PD(A) with out the agar, Use vermiculite to absorb the liquid and following the PF tek with it, PCing for 20 min.

We know that Ps. Cubensis likes PDA and can fruit on it. I say give it a shot and report what you find.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Potatoe substrate [Re: Cyber]
    #3892225 - 03/09/05 12:25 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That would work. What would work better is if ole boy would get off his ass and go find some grain, i know he hasn't tried cause i don't care if I'm in godamn Egypt, i will guarantee they have wheat and you can grow on wheat grain, and rice.

what country do you live in original poster? what part of the country?, i can probably use the intranet to find you a local store with grain.

--------------------

Edited by Psychoslut (03/09/05 12:28 PM)

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3892330 - 03/09/05 12:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
Sucks to be you, i just got me a 50 pound bag of wbs for 9 dollars.

Yeah, it does. But this ain't the good ol' US of A...

Quote:

anyways wherever you are unless you are in the middle of the dessert or something you have access to all of them grains, you just havnt tried hard enough.

Like I said, the grains are here, but they easily 10X more expensive than potatoes. Imagine having to pay $50 for that bag of WBS...

Quote:

sounds like a shity place to live, you guys dont even feed the birds huh?

We would feed them, except there aren't any here for about 9 months of the year (some crows and shit excluded but the only bird seed that is ever available for whoever the hell feeds crows is pure sunflower seeds). I live about an hour's drive from the polar circle, give me a break here.

Quote:

no matter where you live there are some type of farmer who can get you grain and poop.

There are still 2 meters of snow on the ground, nobody is farming anything right now. Like I said in my original post, I'll find the grain eventually, I'm just trying to do what I can in the meantime.

Quote:

but potatos are out of the question,

Thanks for your opinion. I may or may not be trying this. I just thought I'd shoot this out there in case the outlook wasn't as bad as I thought. I mean, they're so cheap I couldn't overlook the potential.

Quote:

hominy, and some types of beans can grow shrooms, dont tell me no beans cause wexico has beans.

Actually I will tell you: no beans. This isn't "wexico". Beans are even harder to get here than grain. You can buy at most 2 types of beans from any shop and they'll be from the following set, in decreasing probability: [kidney beans, brown beans, chick peas]. That's it. And only canned, never dried. Sometimes dried peanuts though, which I guess are technically beans.

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
    #3892428 - 03/09/05 01:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

If you have to start growing immediately, here's what I'd do. I'd do a small batch with whatever grain you can find - minute rice or something - or a simple PF tek (if you can get vermiculite) just so you'll be sure you have SOMETHING at the end. Then, at the same time, try your potato thing. Probably won't work, but if you can figure out a way to make it do so, then you've invented a new tek & you can contribute something that may help others. The immediate problem I see with potatoes is that it'll mush right down & leave no spaces for mycelium to grow. So to make that work you'd have to use something that will provide the base & structure like grain does, then add potato for nutrient.

I'd hate to be in your position, & I hope it works out for you.

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3892430 - 03/09/05 01:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So you are obviously going to have to order your pressure cooker from the internet, why dont you go ahead and buy jars, spores, and grain on there too?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation