Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Potato Flakes
    #1542352 -

I've had good sucess using peroxidated PDYA agar with numerous active and non active strains but it's a drawn out process having to boil potatos and I've read on numerous occasions that you can use dried potato flakes instead.

The only potato flakes I can find in the UK have antioxidants, ascorbic acid and stabilisers added to them. Are these any good to use or am I going to live on a diet of mashed potatos for the rest of my life ?  :grin: 


--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1542363 -

I uses flakes in my peroxidated agar because I was afraid there would be enough peroxidase in the fresh potatoes to break down the peroxide.

I use potato flake fructose agar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1542382 -

Quote:
I was afraid there would be enough peroxidase in the fresh potatoes to break down the peroxide.




I've had great sucess with the method I use and the peroxidase in the fresh potatoes doesn't effect the peroxide at all

I also use 10 grams dextrose instead of fructose but it's just these added antioxidants, ascorbic acid and stabilisers in the potato flakes I'm worried about..


--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Edited by Bi0TeK (05/12/03 05:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1543754 -

well quit....I've used some that contained
sodium acid pyrophosphate - leavening agent
sodium bisulfate - leavening agaent
mixed tocopherols - antioxidant

what exactly the mix is...only the chemists know...but I really wouldnt worry, most ore used in sich minure amounts it will have little or no effect....most brands of flakes have some sort of stabilizer in them and they all seem to work well for me....

P#1

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1544215 -

Thanx for the info, I'm gonna pick some up today !  :smile: 


--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1544346 -

You can get small individual packages of it. It's usually somewhere arround the instant gravy and soup mixes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1544374 -

I don't know about in the UK. But.....in the USA........ look in the baby food section for baby food dry potato flakes in small box's for cheap. A little goes a long long way, in agar.
6T  :tongue:


--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1544514 -

Why are you worried about peroxidases? THose are enzymes, right. Enzymes denature and are rendured useless after autoclaving (more like 95 C than 121C). Am I missing something?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: SixTango]
    #1544861 -

Just got back from shopping and I've got 2 HUGE packets of potatoe flakes at 38p per pack which should last me a while ! I didn't find any in the baby food section SixTango but found loads of different brands near the dried pasta.

I was worried before about the ascorbic acid (vitamin c) making the agar too acidic but as Prisoner#1 pointed out the additives are in such minute amounts it won't make a difference.

Anywayz, I'm off to make some agar the easy way now !  :grin:

Thanks again for the input guys !  :smile:

Bi0 


--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1544974 -

Hmm..  Wonder if Butter flavor would help the genetics :smile: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Raedon]
    #1544985 -

I was thinking the same about sour cream and chive flavour lolzz !  :grin: 


--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1545497 -

I don't PC my agar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1545633 -

Oh then it probably could be a prob.  What do you do to your agar?  You just microwave it?  A friend tried that and got a good deal of contam.  Maybe he just hasn't got the procedure right yet.  It is finals time in school. :frown: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1545751 -

Quote:
I don't PC my agar. 



I know where your coming from  :wink:

I've had success without any sterilization of any kind !  :grin: 


--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1546150 -

Damn, I never done that!

I boil the water in the microwave, in the jar, then add everything else except peroxide. Then I put aluminum foil over it, and put it in a pot of boiling water like you do jars in the PF tek for about an hour.

Then let cool some, add peroxide, and pour plates.

I think I might try filtering out the potato flakes some day, but not this next batch. I got a system that works, and I have some new cultures coming that I really don't want to lose.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1546184 -

Deleted by Fr0ggy


--------------------
Ribbit ?

Edited by Fr0ggy (05/13/03 06:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1547804 -

Here's what I do

Strain the potato water and add to a pot including everything else apart from the H202 and cook on a medium to low heat stirring continuously until the agar dissolves, pour the agar solution into a measuring jug and top up with boiling water to the original fluid level to compensate any moisture loss and stir, insert a thermometer into the agar and cover the jug with cling film, once the temperature drops to 130F add the peroxide, stir with the thermometer and pour the plates.

I've found there's no need to autoclave, pressure cook or sterilize in a pot.

It's worked for me on numerous occasions  :tongue: 

edit: If using potato flakes there is no need to strain them from the water


--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Edited by Bi0TeK (05/14/03 01:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1547913 -

can some one post the full recipe or a link to it please, ........ty


--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Potato Flakes [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1548139 -

Quote:
can some one post the full recipe or a link to it please, ........ty



What recipe?
For making Potato Dextrose Yeast Agar ?

This is how I make my PDYA :

5 grams instant potato's "Betty Crocker Potato Buds"
9 grams of agar agar
7 grams of pure honey
1 gram of nutritional yeast mini flake
500 ml of purified water


--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!


Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Potato Flake = Smash? (UK) peps1 2,069 10 07/29/10 09:41 AM
by Base Icks
* potato flake agar shroomiedoobie 11,674 5 01/03/11 05:17 AM
by shroomiedoobie
* Ingredients of Instant Potato Flakes SumGuy 3,747 6 12/18/02 02:48 PM
by debianlinux
* Question about PDA and using flakes. (solved) cybernoodle2000 569 6 02/22/11 03:54 PM
by cybernoodle2000
* Potato Dextrose Agar (PDA)!
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
hamloafM 22,432 81 05/08/18 03:44 PM
by hamloaf
* instant potatoes in an LC? resptodd 3,308 11 01/21/08 11:12 PM
by resptodd
* Potato(e) Flakes Instead of BRF I_Fart_Blue 2,867 15 09/17/02 06:04 AM
by GabbaDj
* need a good peroxide agar recipe thinkn 2,495 6 02/26/09 01:57 AM
by No_Life_G33k

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,799 topic views. 13 members, 214 guests and 134 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 16 queries.