Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room)
    #8854614 -

Hey all!

I finished building my sterile room with an antechamber (decontamination room) and I hooked up a new HEPA air-filter (99.97% and to 0.3 micron).    Im not trying to make the room 100% sterile or anything,  just more sterile than my OLD house tends to be when I have a few mice, a cat, 2 ferrets, one fish and 3 dogs :smile:  The sterile room is 4' wide by 5' long by 6.5' high, plenty of room to work!  The antechamber is 4' wide by 3' long by 6.5' high.

The fruiting room is also built from 1-1/4" PVC and 2 mil clear painters drop plastic with a lot of duct tape!  I will have (2) stands of racks in the room, each can hold 300 pounds and each is 1' deep by 3' wide by 4.5' tall with four levels.  That leaves plenty of room for me to move around and for the cool mist too.  I will expand this fruiting room next run.  For now my fruiting room is only 4' wide by 4' long by 5.5' high.  The temp stays at 76-78 and the humidity is at 90-93%.

The incubation room is a closet which I [will] lined with pink hard insulation.  Then I added  a $25.00 space heater with thermostat to keep it at 80-85F.

By having three rooms Ill have a constant flow of new LCs, quart rye berry jars, spawning h.poo bulk sub and casing containers, etc...new grows and new strains often as Im only gonna do only two or three flushes per container. 

Right now Ive got  a liquid culture of p.cube spinning on the magnetic stirrer, Im going with Ecuador this run.  Next grow Ive got some Golden Teacher (thanks B4B!) and then some Quezon (maybe, they grow best on straw so its be fun).

Enough talk, time for neat pics! 

These first 5 pics are the construction of the sterile room and antechamber, with a view of the outside and HEPA filter.  The first pic is the sterile room without a door and without the antechamber.  The second pic is the same as the first plus a door and a pic of the zipper for the door in the third pic.  Finally the 4th and 5th pics are of the antechamber and sterile room with HEPA filter:


Sterile room (no antechabmer yet):





Now it's got a zipper door, very easy to use and cheap too (about $10.0):








The finished room (with antechamber):




HEPA filter for flow table and positive pressure:


Edited by quickpick (08/31/08 02:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8854633 -

Antechamber and sterile room:

In the following pics you see inside the sterile room and inside of the antechamber. 

The first two pics are of the antechamber, it has sterile gloves, face mask, alcohol and paper towels and clean cloths: long sleeve and hooded shirt, pants and socks.  I change cloths in the antechamber and put on the gloves, etc to help keep outside contamination outside (and besides it's fun).  There is strong positive pressure from the air-filter going into the antechamber and out to the surrounding room.

In the final pics you will see my ad-hock Lamar Flow Table.  It's a HEPA air filter rated for 256 sq ft, lol, I keep it on low.  Like I mentioned it offers the same filtration as real flow hood.  I set a table in front of the air filter's flow and a 'deflector' to the right, this makes the air flow straighten out and get a lot lager in volume (hight and width).  You will see the area I marked as "FLOW" with black marker, anything in that area is my 'work area' in the flow of clean air:


These two pics are inside the antechamber:








The following pics are inside the sterile room...


The fist two pics are the flow table:







And the other tools with the LC :wink:





Edited by quickpick (08/31/08 12:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8854649 -

Fruiting room:

Like I mentioned the room for now is 4' wide by 4' long by 5.5' high.  I've got a single cool mist humidifier in there and it keeps the humidity at 90-93% when I run it on high 24/7. 

I will add lighting to the room when I start fruiting, maybe next week I'll add the lights.  I ordered special blue heavy fluorescents (Vita-Lite) and UV-a bulb (ReptiSun 5.0 UV), both of those offer wavelengths within p.cubes action spectra.

FAE (Fresh Air Exchange) is done via the hole behind the intake of cool mist humidifier.  I keep the cool mist running on high, it's a "ReliOn" and has a really strong fan.  It sucks in FA from the outside and the room isn't sealed too well so the old, stale air can escape (ala FAE).  There is a slight positive pressure in the fruting room, enough to bring in fresh air and expel old air while puffing out the sides of the room and keeping the humidity over 90% and about 75-78F; all with one cool mist humidifier (1.25 gallon and $20 el' cheap-o from Walmart).


Pics of the outside of the fruiting room:











And the cool mist with FA coming in from the hole behind it, and the plastic behind it isn't taped down so more air is flowing in and out there too:





Edited by quickpick (08/31/08 12:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8854657 -

Incubation room:

Not much to say here but it works like a charm and I could do a TON of jars if I had a need...one day, lol.

Anyway, it stays at 80-85F and when I add the insulation I will save more money because I can turn down the space heater (900watt when running!).  This also doubles as my AEM and FPE incubation room :smile:

Here the pics:






Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8854670 -

very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8854707 -

Looks awesome.:thumbup:


--------------------
"People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8854726 -

Thanks :smile:

You'd be suprised how much I've learned here, I like this place A LOT :smile:...my last grow was 5 years ago with PF tek and BRF, hahaha. :smile:

later

Edited by quickpick (08/31/08 12:53 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: pontus]
    #8854738 -

Yeah man, that is awesome. Wish I had the room to construct something 5like that! Though the 5'5" height would put one hell of a strain on my back :P

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: c1dh3d]
    #8854814 -

thanks c1dh3d,

All told the 1-1/4" pvc and fittings, duct tape, 2 mil plastic and pvc 'scissor' (don't get a saw, the cuts are not clean) cost me about $175-225.00 at Home Depot and all fits in a small spare bed room with a BIG lock and my pit bull! :smile:

I don't remember the exact price as I bought other things too, but $175-225.00 is accurate.

later :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8854846 -

Oh yea,

The nice thing about using this method vs a martha (or other pre-fab closet) is you can modify it to fit any size/shape you want.  If it's too small, take 10 minutes and $15.00 to make it much bigger.  To big?  Well it's easy to make it smaller.  Too tall?  No problem, just make it shorter and remove a level from the stands :smile:

It was fast and easy to put together and I only had to do a few re-cuts, even though I kept repeating the mantra "think twice, cut once"...

later :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8854977 -

Wow that's pretty awesome :cool:

I always wanted to build something along those lines


--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: twighead]
    #8855015 -

Hey twighead,

You should, it's really easy!

The only hard part is understanding how to make corners and T's with odd angles and the antechamber, etc.  I've got pics if you'd like to see them.  And buy more then you think you'll need, I made 3 different trips to the hardware store to get things I came up short on.  Mostly I came up short on 10' 1-1/4" pvc pipe, of which I needed about 90-100 feet. 

let me know if you'd like me to post those pics for you.

Oh, yea, you can get a space heater like the one I have from half.com or amazon.com for like $25.00.  It has a dial you can turn which will increase or decrease the temp.  ONce the heater gets to the set temp it shuts off until it senses the room is colder then what it's set for and it automatically turns back on.  The only hard part is there are no nubers of F or C.  Its just a sliding scale, so I set can checked it over a few hours to get a rough idea of what each mark means in F.  So I set it to about 80F and it tends to stay at 80-85F.

I'm picking up a "C.A.P. Day/Night Temperature Controller" which will accurately measure the F in the room and turn on/off the heater automatically with great accuracy.  I'm gonna set it to 82F, on heat:

(these are about $85.00 retail but you can get them off ebay cheaper I bet)


Quote:
The TMP-DNe allows you to control the temperature within your growing environment. You can set the day and night temperaute independently. The TMP-DNe can be set to either heat or cool. Just connect your equipment, then set the temperature that you wish to maintain. If the temperature varies from your setting, the outlet on the front is activated. The temperature differential can be set at 3, 5 or 7 degrees. Comes with a 12'' remote sensor. The TMP-DNe is rated for 15 amps @ 120 volts.



later :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8855417 -

I'd suggest lowering the temperature in the 'incubation' room.  Mushroom mycelium growth peaks at 75F to 81F, and any temp above 83F slows down the expansion of mycelium, and encourages competitor fungi.  Since mushroom mycelium produces heat as it grows, you want to allow for that in your ambient room temps.  If you're using small pf type jars, it's OK to keep the room at 80F, but if using larger substrate bags, you'll easily get 10F of heat production inside the bag, therefore you'll want to keep the ambient to around 75F for most rapid growth.  Good luck.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8855434 -

Wow...you're officially...not fucking around anymore.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8855574 -

Hey RR,

Thanks for the tip :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8856032 -

Hey skaterickets,

haha, yup.  I figured 'why not', I had some extra money and I really enjoy doing things 110%.  I'm kind of surprised how well it all came out and that it hasn't fallen down yet, lol.

But I am really looking forward to it being FULL of mushrooms :smile:  So now I'm off to collect around 100 lbs of nice and dry h.poo from the pastures of local breeders and boarders.  I'm gonna use Agar's h.poo tek.

later :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quickpick's Playhouse! (sterile room, fruiting room, incubation room) [Re: quickpick]
    #8882511 -

Very nice! I'm impressed. :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Incubation Temperature changes: major problem for mycellium? fIsh in my head 3,431 5 07/26/13 04:13 PM
by Blak
* about sterilizing and incubation pimster987 964 3 10/05/02 10:49 AM
by Cheeba
* incubator temperature readings whack trancefishy 1,095 5 11/14/02 12:05 AM
by Shaw
* incubation temperatures michael_ahji 2,240 3 06/06/07 10:02 AM
by Kamin
* sterilizing an incubator and grow chamber? ElectricGnome 898 6 07/03/02 05:17 AM
by Frog31337
* sterilization and incubation philistine4life 737 3 11/01/01 05:06 AM
by puscle
* proper incubation temperatures. Larrythescaryrex 2,565 14 10/20/02 02:20 PM
by Larrythescaryrex
* Incubation temperature Drummer 880 1 04/06/02 09:09 PM
by Lapius

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,807 topic views. 13 members, 63 guests and 122 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.