Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
In The News: New York Harbor-Ship With Nukes?MSNBC
    #880940 - 09/12/02 07:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

MSNBC is reporting that a ship that entered New York Harbor was ordered back to sea after tests showed elevated radiation levels. The ship was searched off of the coast of New Jersey.

Here is the full report:

Ship searched for nuclear material

Initial tests found elevated radiation levels in cargo hold

NBC, MSNBC AND NEWS SERVICES

Sept. 12 ? U.S. Special Operations forces on Thursday joined members of the Energy Department?s Nuclear Emergency Search Team on board a Liberian-flagged container ship off the coast of New Jersey to search for nuclear material, Pentagon officials told NBC News. The search of the M/V Palermo Senator was based primarily on intelligence suggesting a ship matching its description could be carrying nuclear material or a nuclear device into the United States, the officials said.

THE SHIP, WHICH arrived in New York Harbor late Monday, was ordered back to sea Wednesday as a result of the intelligence and initial tests showing slightly elevated radiation levels in a cargo hold, the officials said.

A Coast Guard boarding team took command of the vessel at 2:30 a.m. and took it 6 to 12 miles offshore, saying it wanted to ascertain if there was ?a potential risk to public safety and security.? A Coast Guard cutter was guarding the vessel.

Members of the Energy Department?s NEST team, charged with responding to nuclear emergencies, began to test the ship?s 655 containers later in the day.

The military team joining the hunt Thursday was bringing specialized equipment capable of looking deep into the stacked containers.

The Pentagon officials, who spoke with NBC News on condition of anonymity, said that the vessel was one of five searched upon arrival based on intelligence indicating that terrorists may be trying to bring nuclear material or a nuclear device into the United States.

After Coast Guard inspectors found unspecified ?paperwork problems? and reported hearing some suspicious sounds in some of the vessel?s cargo holds, it was ordered to Port Newark/Elizabeth Marine Terminal in New Jersey for further checks.

There, tests by Energy Department inspectors produced contradictory results, with one showing elevated radiation levels and another indicating normal levels. As a result, the ship was ordered back to sea for a definitive determination on whether any radioactive material was on board.

A U.S. government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told NBC News that the NEST scientists said the initial readings indicated the presence of both gamma and neutron emissions, which can be an indicator of an improvised nuclear device.

But the official stressed that there is nothing to indicate anything more than background radiation at this point.

The NEST squad was established in 1974 to seek out and dismantle ?improvised nuclear devices,? but has been used over the years to investigate suspicious radiological sources.

The Palermo Senator is owned by the firm Reederei F. Laeisz of Hamburg, Germany, and regularly plies the route between New York and the Far East.

Its last port of call was Valencia, Spain, but in the past several weeks it has stopped and picked up cargo in a number of ports, including Bandar Abbas, Iran; Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and Karachi, Pakistan.

MSNBC.com?s Mike Brunker; NBC?s Tammy Kupperman, Jim Miklaszewski and Robert Windrem; and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This report can be found on MSNBC?s website here.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: In The News: New York Harbor-Ship With Nukes?MSNBC [Re: Jammer]
    #881363 - 09/13/02 03:06 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:ooo:

OfflineJammer

Re: In The News: New York Harbor-Ship With Nukes?MSNBC [Re: Anonymous]
    #882594 - 09/13/02 06:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I guess that I played this story a little to hard.. :smirk: 

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Wexico
    #883939 - 09/15/02 08:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Turned out to be radon in the floor tiles.

Home-owners beware.

--------------------

OfflineJammer

Re: In The News: New York Harbor-Ship With Nukes?MSNBC [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #884044 - 09/15/02 08:59 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

RADON? Are you serious? How can a nuke test confuse an underground gas with radiation?

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#884109 - 09/15/02 09:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Radioactivity is radioactivity.

--------------------

OfflineJammer

#884120 - 09/15/02 09:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, but radon is a type of natural gas that often emits from the ground into basments... radon isnt the same as radiation, as far as I know.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#884148 - 09/15/02 09:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No, but it is radioactive.

Interesting though, you are right that it is a gas. I wonder if it exists in a solid form?

I'm thinkin it must.

--------------------

OfflineJammer

#884158 - 09/15/02 09:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

' looks like were BOTH right.

"What is radon?
Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon but it may be a problem in your home. When you breathe air containing radon, you increase your risk of getting lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high."

Source: Radon.com -> http://radon.com/radon/radon_facts.html

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineJammer

#884165 - 09/15/02 09:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The same source link also says this:

"Radon is a colorless, chemically unreactive inert gas, it is the densest gas known. The gas and its highly radioactive (radioactivity described) metallic daughter products emit alpha and beta particles and gamma rays. It has been used in the treatment of cancer by radiotherapy. In homes and other buildings, in some areas of the world, radon produced by the radioactive decay of uranium-238 present in soil and rock can reach levels regarded as dangerous. (Chemical Symbol/Element Number: Rn222)"

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion