Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesimon303
Papa Smurf
I put too much water in my substrate! Plz help
    #845276 - 08/26/02 06:45 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,
A few weeks ago a friend and I started a grow...We got 4 Myco-bags and filled each one with a substrate containing:
-- Wheat straw
-- Pennington's Finch Seed
-- DUNG
-- Vermiculite

The consistancy of water was correct before we put the bags in the microwave to sterilize. Afterward, the bags were extremely hot so I added some spring water to each of the bags to cool them down (we were on a time limit). One of the 4 bags seemed to be a little less moist than the rest (because it had cooled before the rest) but we let it slide.

After all the bags were around 80-85 degrees (F) we innoculated...Two of them with 2 syringes of Copelandia cyanescens, and two of them with 2 syringes of PESA cubies

A week later:
We looked at the bags, now noticing that three of them had too much moisture because there were puddles on the bottom of each of the three. Two of them were Copelandia containing bags, and the third was a PESA. The fourth bag (PESA) which did not have too much moisture had a 1-inch thick ring of mycelium surrounding the center of the bag.

To fix this:
We sterilized 2 casing trays and drilled 2 holes on each side, stuffing them with cotton (for air flow). Once the trays were ready, we took the two Copelandia bags and dumped them both into one of the trays. We did the same with the 3rd bag. This made most of the extremely moist dung-crud stick to the walls on the inside of the bags. Once the substrates were in the trays, we covered them with plastic wrap to insure sterility. The forth bag, which moisture level seems to be OK, we left closed to colonize. After all this, we transferred them into a closet (nice and dark) where the temperature is kept from 80-85 degrees.

Three days later, we looked at the trays and the bag. The bag seemed to be close to the same (of what we can see), doing well. The trays had retained more moisture. The water had evaporated from the substrate, collected on top, and dripped back down onto the substrate....ANOTHER PUDDLE To try and fix this, we channeled the water into a corner and dumped it out, while keeping the tops covered. Now we are waiting to see what happens.

Here are my questions..
Will the spores continue to to viable as long as we keep the substrate at the right temperature and keep it from becoming contaminated?? I'm wondering if it's possible to continue waiting until the moisture level is right.
Has anyone had this type of problem before and got through it ok?

Thanks!!

--------------------

Papa Smurf knows where the goods are..=)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesimon303
Papa Smurf
COME ON PEOPLE!! [Re: simon303]
    #846582 - 08/27/02 09:48 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

COME ON! SOMEONE on this forum has to have some idea how to deal with this kind of problem..

--------------------

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: I put too much water in my substrate! Plz help [Re: simon303]
    #846786 - 08/27/02 11:07 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Oh my, where do I start?

>>we put the bags in the microwave to sterilize<<

Your microwave probably won't sufficiently sterilize any kind of whole grain, including finch seed.

>>Afterward, the bags were extremely hot so I added some spring water to each of the bags to cool them down<<

Doing the above completely negates your efforts to sterilize anything. It also screws your moisture levels up ROYALLY (as you have found).

Where did you get the idea to try growing this way?

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Offlinesimon303
Papa Smurf
Re: I put too much water in my substrate! Plz help [Re: FanaTEK]
    #846991 - 08/27/02 12:56 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I looked at different TEKs on this forum as well as around the net and found out different additives for substrates. My substrate is fine as far as nutrients go. Millet (finch seed) has been proven to be JUST AS SUCCESSFUL as rye grain.
The main TEK I looked at was ralphster44's to let you know...

The only problem is the moisture level. Yeah, I'm aware I fucked up when I added the EXTRA water, but nothing else is wrong.

Anyway, I asked for help, not criticizm. What's this about microwaves not making it sterile? Do you think anything can survive in a modern day microwave for throughly heating for 15 minutes? I don't even think bacteria can withstand that..

And what are you saying about spring water and sterility? If spring water wasn't sterile, you couldn't sell it as spring water. Spring water works fine, if not just as well as distilled.

I don't understand why some people would take the time to reply to a post if they aren't going to help the person out.

--------------------

Edited by simon303 (08/27/02 02:00 PM)

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: I put too much water in my substrate! Plz hel [Re: simon303]
    #847033 - 08/27/02 01:13 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"If spring water wasn't sterile, you couldn't sell it as spring water. Spring water works fine, if not just as well as distilled."

I don't mean to criticize, but that's just plain wrong. Spring water simply means it came out of a spring. There is no spring water that I know of that is "sterile" simply because it came out of a hole in the ground. I'm sure it's filtered, but it's not distilled. Distilled water is heated until it is steam, then condensed in a different chamber, producing "pure" water. But depending on the environment in which it is distilled and stored, it still may not necessarily be sterile.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Offlinesimon303
Papa Smurf
What are you talking about now? [Re: Bilge]
    #847129 - 08/27/02 01:57 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Spring water comes in a SEALED bottle at the store. If companies sold bottled spring water that was contaminated, it wouldn't be legal to sell. Spring water is DEFINITELY sterile.

ster?ile adj.: Free from live bacteria or other microorganisms: a sterile operating area; sterile instruments.

I fucking hate it when people argue for the sake of arguing...
Please stop chopping up my posts.

--------------------

Edited by simon303 (08/27/02 02:05 PM)

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: What are you talking about now? [Re: simon303]
    #847157 - 08/27/02 02:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Jesus, Fanatek tried to help you, what did you expect?

"Nothing is wrong, your a lovely person! Do you have a Paypal account, I'd like to donate $5 to you, just for being yourself!"

Is that was you expected?

Offlinesimon303
Papa Smurf
Re: What are you talking about now? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #847699 - 08/27/02 06:15 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Donations are gladly accepted...You guys just can't answer this question or something! lol

--------------------

Edited by simon303 (08/27/02 06:19 PM)

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #847730 - 08/27/02 06:24 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

No, it's just that you screwed up so royally, it's probably time to shitcan and start all over!

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are you talking about now? [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #847750 - 08/27/02 06:28 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

agreed!

how are we possibly going to help you?
You need to make it right before hand.....not during or after you screw up.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinesimon303
Papa Smurf
Re: What are you talking about now? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #847760 - 08/27/02 06:30 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Riight...so you guys have no experience with fixing things that are fucked up?

--------------------

Edited by simon303 (08/27/02 06:33 PM)

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #847765 - 08/27/02 06:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I'm locking this thread. Please read the FAQ and start over with the PF Tek since you don't seem to own a pressure cooker.

Peace

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Edited by mickey_rourke (08/27/02 07:26 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates