Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeep
HELP WITH BULK SUBSTRATE
    #1587379 - 05/29/03 03:57 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

From MMGG
Step 6
Most food processors have a plastic blade that comes with them for the purpose of mixing things instead of cutting things. Use this if possible. Make sure your food processor and blade are clean. Empty the contents of a colonized spawn jar into the food processor. Turn it on until the Rye kernels are all broken apart. Add some of the freshly cooked Rye to the food processor. Depending upon your confidence and the sterility of your environment you can add anywhere from 4 to 20 times the amount of grain in your spawn jar. The less you add, the less likely you will have problems with contamination. The more you add, the faster you can create substrate. Initially, you should stay on the low side. Turn on the food processor and mix the freshly cooked Rye with the colonized Rye from the spawn jar.

Place this material in a container that can be loosely covered. This material should be treated exactly as the earlier spawn jars were treated except you should see quicker growth of the mycelium patches. The amount of spawn you have can be compounded again and again until you have enough to inoculate massive substrates.
From mmgg 3.2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I'm not sure that I get is after you have the first jars colonized and you mix the uncolonized grain with it the "container" they talk about/ do I put them in a jar? is this going to be my substrate? if so is it ok to expose uncolonized grain to the air, I thought it would get contaminated. Do I just mix the uncolonized with the colonized and place it in the container I will use to case and wait for the mycelium to cover all the grains and then Case or what? SOme body help Me pleeeeeze.

statement
All these statements and chracters in this message were not pertaning to myself, i do not nor condone any illegal avtivity. any questions posted by user: slcdeep are for research porpuses only.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedeep
Re: HELP WITH BULK SUBSTRATE [Re: deep]
    #1587395 - 05/29/03 04:03 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

By the way, If I'm using bags which one's should I use which are Pressure Cooker safe? and is it ok to use rye through the whole bag? and how do I seal the bag once I innoculate it? Sorry one more thing, is the surface area what determines the size of the flush ie. the amount of shrooms grown, or is it the substrate depth?

statement
All these statements and chracters in this message were not pertaning to myself, i do not nor condone any illegal avtivity. any questions posted by user: slcdeep are for research porpuses only.

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: HELP WITH BULK SUBSTRATE [Re: deep]
    #1588267 - 05/29/03 10:57 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Is this your first time. I wouldnt really recommend this, althought it could help, i dont personally think it would best suit you. Allowing the grain to touch air would mean contams. I would suggest just innoculating more jars. If you only have a limited supply of spores, when one jar fully colonizes, you can presure cook some more grain, and under heavily sterile conditions, transfer some of the innoculated grain into the new jar.

If you are gonna do it, make sure you clean your food processor really good, and your whole work environment. Presure cook the grain you will use to mix with your substrate also. When the time comes, mix the grain and your old jar, then put it all in a big jar, or a couple diffrent jars. The colonized portion will then be so small it will fastly innoculate the rest of your new grain. Try not to expose to much air, and if you do, make sure its clean air. Working over your oven will also help. Turn it to a low temp, just enough for the warm air to rise, then work on a rack in front of the oven, this will *help* aid in the fight against contams. You gotta do your part too.

I have never used bags. Sorry.

I think surface area matters alot, but not necesarily too much. If you are able to get all the other conditions right, then i guess. But for now, I dont think it will much matter.

Offlinedeep
Re: HELP WITH BULK SUBSTRATE [Re: tak_old]
    #1588441 - 05/29/03 12:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've cultivated before I'm just trying to up the game with bulk, i just didn't understand why you don't just Cook some more rye keep it in the jar and just ad mycelium from other jars. Like that bulk neglect, dosn't he expose the straw/dung substrate to the air and let it colonize and then case it, his substrate isn't in a closed container it's in a cardboard box with plastic over it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation