Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
About Sterility...
    #844700 - 08/26/02 04:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I 've been contemplating alot of the information i've gathered about ensuring sterility in the mushroom cultivation process. Some of what i've read makes sense, but alot of it seems erroneous or just plain stupid.

An example: Oven Tek?? This doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't warm air create currents which could potentially carry more contams than still air?

Another example: Sterility box. You know, with hand holes and a viewing window and such. It seems like the complications of working inside a box that you are outside of are not worth the trouble. What if you touch the needle against the box w/out noticing or something. Is it that important not to breathe into the air during innoculation? How about a dustmask instead of a clumsy box.

What about cleaning jars before filling with substrate. It seems to me that the risk of contamination involved in the logistics of preparing a freshly cleaned jar (ie: wiping dry or air drying) would be about equal to the risk of using the jars right out of the box. What do you think?

Question: Has anyone ever found contams growing top side of a Ramsey seal? Just wondering if you think this step is worthwhile.

A note on work area: I do not think the kitchen is a very sterile place, and i live with someone who would probably be frightened by the mushy cultivation dream i've been having . So i decided to innoculate my jars in my bathroom. I have a stand up shower with a solid door. I first sprayed the inside down liberally with bleach/H2O solution. Then i covered the top with cardboard and sprayed that down as well. I set a dinner tray and a metal chair in the shower and sprayed them down and wiped them dry. Then i set my materials in the sterilized shower workspace. Before all this was done, the door to the bathroom was closed and there was no moving air in the room. The virtue of this method seems to be in shrinking down the workspace thus making it much easier to control.

I did make one foolish move in this process. I neglected to wipe down with alcohol or flame my spore syringes during innoculation. Perhaps i was too pleased with my sterility chamber. The syringes remained sealed until the moment of innoculation. It's day 2(and a half) after innoculation and no sign of contams yet. I'll give lady luck a good goosing when i think of it. How important do you think it is to flame or wipe down a needle prepared and packaged under sterile conditions. Should it be resterilized after each hole and/or jar? What do you think.

Thanks for reading. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: About Sterility... [Re: bruisedBlue]
    #844754 - 08/26/02 05:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

both the oven door tek and the ramsey seal are best avoided.
but a good glovebox is worth its' weight in gold.
i spent $500 on my flowhood and don't regret one penny.
build a good one, do your sterile work inside.
a bathroom is not much cleaner than a kitchen, [where would you rather eat ?]
a dusk mask isn't going to keep contams out of your jars.
as long as the needle doesn't touch contaminated materials, there's no need to flame every time.

Admin @ mycotopia.net

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation