Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStarspawn
NotGoodJustLucky
Loc: ShowMeState
Straw:pasteurize or H2O2 soak
    #839474 - 08/24/02 12:14 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Is the H2O2 soak better then pasteurizing straw? If the soak in volume 2 works then how much care does it take to keep it from contamination problems?And what about the vineger concentration?I have vineger that is reduced with water to 5% acidity,is this the right stuff?And one more thing,i can only find HayCob in the city,should i go to whatever length to find wheat straw,or will the soak keep the HayCob from getting contaminated?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineentheo_smurf
journeyman
Re: Straw:pasteurize or H2O2 soak [Re: Starspawn]
    #839690 - 08/24/02 05:14 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know if you have read Rush waynes peroxide manuals but he says that peroxide doesn't work well for pasturization sp? of straw.

"On hearing about the peroxide method, many mushroom growers have the thought that peroxide could be used to replace the cumbersome hot water steeping or steaming required to pasteurize straw for oyster mushroom cultivation. Unfortunately, peroxide cannot be used by itself to pasteurize straw. This is so because the many microscopic and macroscopic particles of live mold in straw are highly resistant to peroxide, and also because straw contains a large amount of active peroxide-decomposing enzymes." -Rush Wayne Ph.D.

--------------------
This is for the sole purpose of information only. Not intended for use in the actual manufacture of known drugs.

Offlineaural
Hola Amigos!
Loc: The Desert In The Spring
Re: Straw:pasteurize or H2O2 soak [Re: entheo_smurf]
    #839719 - 08/24/02 05:40 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

I don't know if you have read Rush waynes peroxide manuals but he says that peroxide doesn't work well for pasturization sp? of straw.

Starspawn has apparently read volume 2,but maybe you haven't.It describes treating straw with H202 plus either vinegar or lime.

Personally,I'd just use heat,but I'm lucky enough to have a 10 gal. brewing kettle with a spigot on the bottom (for draining off the water afterwards).Holds enough straw to do 2 bags of Oyters.

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Straw:pasteurize or H2O2 soak [Re: Starspawn]
    #840324 - 08/24/02 12:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i own both of Rush Wayne's manuals. his work has certainly changed the cultivation on mushrooms for ever. i have found, however, that in order to use peroxide to pasturise straw requires a huge amount of peroxide. the whole point of using straw is economic in nature, since a bale of straw costs me less than two dollars us. using twenty dollars worth of peroxide to pasturize that doesn't make a lot of sense.

take a look at Stamet's books. in one of them there is an outline for pasturizing straw with bleach. this is very low cost, and can easily be done in your bathtub.

i use a rubbermaid inside the bathtub, fill the rubbermaid most of the way full with chopped straw, fill that with luke warm water and about a cup of bleach. push the straw down into the bleachwater with your hands to be sure you have coated it all. let it stand ten minutes, then turn it over to be sure you have covered it all, let stand ten more min, drain. just dump the rubbermaid, leaving most inside. the straw that escapes will not make it down the drain. rinse with plain water, drain.

use the drained straw to create trays using whatever type of innoculant you have on hand.

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Re: Straw:pasteurize or H2O2 soak [Re: tchyted]
    #840482 - 08/24/02 01:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting Have you suffered any contamination in the straw using this method??

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Straw:pasteurize or H2O2 soak [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #842125 - 08/25/02 01:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

to this day, i have a pile of straw in my backyard compost heap that derives from my earlier failures with straw.

most of these failures were due to greedieness on my part, in not wanting to use a lot of spawn. once i made up my mind that i could still be economical and use a generous amount of spawn at the same time, then it went well from there. i have learned also that it is best to layer spawn in with straw, covering every bit of the straw with spawn before adding a new layer of straw, then finish with a layer of spawn topped with casing.

but there is nothing advanced about getting straw to grow out. discussion of this would be better in mush cult.

Invisiblemycophreak
journeyman
Loc: Europe
Re: Straw:pasteurize or H2O2 soak [Re: tchyted]
    #846098 - 08/27/02 07:44 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Like sawdust/woodchips straw does not need to be pasteurized at all if it is spawned outdoors (and not wrapped in plastic). Keep it moist.

Yachaj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology