Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedownt1me
Stranger
Mushroom Identification
    #830571 - 08/20/02 01:46 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I found some rather interesting looking mushrooms today, and I was going to try to get an identification from someone on this forum. I took some pictures of what they looked like, but they didn't turn out so well. I am going to just describe what they look like, and hopefully someone can at least give it a shot Thanks for trying. :-D

These mushrooms were all growing in grass in a shaded area. I found four that were solid white with a somewhat flaky brown coating over them. Also they weren't caps, but instead looked like bulbs. I don't believe these are edible, but I am curious as to what they are.

The second kind of mushroom I found was also growing in grass in a shaded area. It has a flat top, but around the edges it kind of curves upward. The cap on top is a pinkish/redish color. Underneath the caps there are no gills, but instead pores. I haven't seen anything that looked quite like this mushroom before.

I know it would be a lot better if I had pics. I am going to try to get a better camera soon, but please just tell me what you can with the information I have provided.

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedownt1me
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Identification [Re: downt1me]
    #830579 - 08/20/02 01:50 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one thing. I am in the process of making spore prints right now. When that information is available I will also post that here. I'm just waiting for the spores to drop

Anonymous

#830599 - 08/20/02 02:01 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #830602 - 08/20/02 02:02 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Could you give approximate sizes?

Good to see other people with a curiosity towards identifying mushrooms regardless of their "activeness" or not! Also good to see people learning how to ID properly (by using a spore print)! I'm not that great at ID's (even with pics!), but I hope someone else here can help you!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinedownt1me
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Identification [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #830641 - 08/20/02 02:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I will definately take some measurements later. Right now I have all the mushrooms I found sitting under cups trying to make spore prints. I don't want to disturb them right now, but when I do complete that step I will definately take some measurements. I can say right now that all the species I found are rather small. They are small enough to fit in the palm of my hand anyway.

Of course I'd love to find some mushrooms that are active, but I also enjoy being able to identify all the mushrooms around me. It's a great challenge! That's part of the fun. I like knowing what is around me.

Mr Mushroom, thanks for posting those pictures. I saved them on my harddrive. I am sure that they will help me in the future. The second picture you posted does look somewhat like the mushroom that I found, only larger.

Offlinedownt1me
Stranger
    #830661 - 08/20/02 02:25 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hah! I hate to keep replying to my own posts, but I just encountered another interesting fact. Just out of curiousity I sliced open the stem very carefully. Inside this stem (which is completely white), there were long, thin, white fibers stretching the whole length of the stem. Just thought I'd mention that as well.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #830767 - 08/20/02 03:20 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

It's a great challenge! That's part of the fun. I like knowing what is around me.

Same here!!! I'm so glad there are others here with an innate curiosity about the world around them. I love IDing everything I can... From wildflowers to trees to insects to fungi! It's just fun!

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinedownt1me
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Identification [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #830789 - 08/20/02 03:36 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You are definately right about that. I just hate walking around and seeing something, and be like, hmm, I wonder what that is. Some people will just walk right on by and never think about it again, but I will get it and do a little research. Maybe I am just obsessive compulsive. Oh well.

I did a little more research on the mushrooms that I found, and I found out that the brown, flaky, substance around the bulb is called volva. I am referring to the pure white mushrooms. I also read that mushrooms that have this are not to be eaten. There goes that idea! haha.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #830892 - 08/20/02 04:37 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Boy have you got that right! *Never* eat any all white Amanita. At least some of the all white Amanitas are among the deadliest mushrooms on earth. You would be looking at liver failure and possible kidney failure (and, obviously, possibly dying).

As far as the other mushroom with tubes under the cap, it is a member of a group of mushrooms commonly called boletes. The other test you should try to verify that it is not a polypore (a different group of mushroms) is that the tubes on boletes can be easily peeled away from the cap (try using your thumb). Many of them are among the best tasting mushrooms to be found anywhere. And, fortunately, they are one of the safest groups of mushrooms for beginners. The rules for boletes are:
1. The tubes and tube mouths must not be red or orange
2. The mushroom must not bruise blue
3. The flesh must not taste bitter or peppery (take a very small piece, put it in your mouth, chew for a few seconds, and spit it all out)
If the mushroom fits those 3 rules, the bolete will not be poisonous. It might not be really good, but at least you shouldn't get real sick from eating it. Remember that those rules only apply to boletes, not to any other mushrooms.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedownt1me
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Identification [Re: ToxicMan]
    #832190 - 08/21/02 05:49 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I want to start off by saying thanks for the replies. They've been helpful. I just checked on my spore prints. Two of the mushrooms didn't turn out too well, but one, the white mushroom (without the volva), turned out to be black or a really really dark purple. I am going to keep this spore print even if this mushroom is not edible. I plan to at least try to grow from this print. Never hurts to have a little practice under your belt. I am going to have to research though and find out what kind of environment this mushrooms really likes. Thanks once again.

Toxicman, the pores underneath the cap were a whitish color. Also this mushroom was real juicy. When I tried what you said with gently scraping the surface with my thumb, juice jus covered my thumb. haha. I wish a spore print of this mushroom would have turned out. Maybe the print is just white. I did use white paper. That's always a possibility.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #832385 - 08/21/02 07:36 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Some ways used to find if a spore print is white: Use the shiny side of freezer paper for the spore print - the print will be very visible even if it is the same color. Use colored paper - useful if you have good paper of a contrasting color to the spores. Use glass - easy to see spore regardless of color.

When trying to peel the pores from a bolete, if the mushroom is very young the pores may be very short and more difficult to peel. Try cutting the cap in half and seeing if the pores can be peeled from under the cap. With polypores you will find that they cannot. The other main difference is that polypores are mostly wood-like in texture, not fleshy. This test mostly helps a beginner on the few fleshy polypores. Note also that almost all polypores grow on wood, most boletes grow on the ground (there are some exceptions to both).

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedownt1me
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Identification [Re: ToxicMan]
    #832431 - 08/21/02 07:59 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the spore printing tips. I'll be able to use all of that information for sure.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck