Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomRider
Stranger
Loc: Atl, GA
Stalled growing and failure to pin
    #816722 - 08/14/02 06:15 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I have some completely colonized birdseed (EQ), and decided to try casing for the first time. I tried the sea of shrooms tek but am having no luck with it. One problem I had is all of the growth was cottony rather than rhyzomorphic. The growth did continue into the casing layer at first but now it seems like it has stopped growing. After 2 weeks and no sign of pins, I took half of the cakes out of the cups to see if any pins would form on the sides of the cakes, and no luck. After another week I cold-shocked the other half of the cakes for 24 hours, then put them back into the aquarium not in their cups. That was 5 days ago, and still no luck. Contams have not been a problem.

I am using natural indirect daylight for the light cycle, keeping them at 74 F, humidity through perlite and misting kept at 95 - 100%. I have an air pump running every other hour on a timer and have been fanning 2 times per day for more exchange for the last week.

Does anyone have any more ideas or will the cakes just never fruit?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Stalled growing and failure to pin [Re: ShroomRider]
    #816749 - 08/14/02 06:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The cold shocking sounds like it might do the trick - it somestimes can take up to two weeks to show pins after a shock, though.

Although cold shocking is supposedly not necessary for cubensis to pin and fruit, my cat often encounters casings that simply will not pin unless he at least sticks them in his 60-degree basement for a couple of days. He doesn't have a fridge large enough to hold his newer projects, though.

You said the mycelium was growing into the casing - did it completely colonize the casing, like covering all the casing material with mycelium?

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

OfflineShroomRider
Stranger
Loc: Atl, GA
Re: Stalled growing and failure to pin [Re: FanaTEK]
    #816755 - 08/14/02 06:34 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

No - The mycelium is only showing through the casing in a couple of spots, and in some of the casings you can not see any mycelium at all.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation