Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Spawn Ratio Calculator. * 5
    #7803673 -
Log in to view attachment






Update 07/20/08

I’m really happy to see that some users have found this calculator useful.  I am now releasing version 1.4.  I have removed UK Quarts and decreased the decimals displayed in the results, overall the newer version just looks a little “cleaner” and that’s it.  So if you already have v1.3 your good to go and there is no need to upgrade to this one.

I purposefully did not add any features because I don’t want the calculator to become overly complicated to understand or too presumptuous into other aspects of the grow.


This will be the last release, and I regret not doing it much sooner.

Compatibility,

This file is a Microsoft Excel (.xls) file.

If you don’t have MS Office you can download openoffice at www.openoffice.org which is a free application that will run on any OS.

Or

www.docs.google.com is a google application that will let you view the file through your gmail account.

I’m paraphrasing posts that have been buried in this thread; I’d like to thank the people that brought these recourses to everyone’s attention, you know who you are.


If there are any problems with the calculator, post your question here and I will try and help you.

Thanks for all of the great feedback people, and hey, if you found this useful don’t hesitate to thank me! :wink:










VVVVV Original Post VVVVV




I know some people struggle with calculating spawn ratios.

I hope this may help people so they don’t have to post every time they buy a new container, it may also aid in picking the right container for a specific amount of spawn you already have.

I made this calculator in excel.  You simply type the dimensions of your container with the desired substrate depth into the calculator and it will tell you how much spawn you need to use in order to achieve a 1:4 or a 1:10 ratio.

I don’t know much about the common measurements outside of the united states so the SI version will calculate the volume in both UK Quarts, and Liters.

I appreciate any input.  And if no one is interested than there are no hard feelings, it took a mere five minutes to throw together.

Let me know if anything should be added or subtracted.  I wanted to keep it simple.

I had to zip the file in order to upload it.

Edit:

I’m glad to see a positive response.  I have upgraded the calculator to v1.3 so you might want to check out the new one.

I have modified the calculator to show the total volume, as well as the fractional amounts of spawn and substrate required to reach it.

I also protected the worksheet so you can only input values where they need to be.

Im still looking for input, and I appreciate the positive responses so far. 


Edited by Mojo (07/20/08 04:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: Mojo]
    #7803742 -

You magnificent bastard, thanks.


--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: Crasher]
    #7803769 -

well played, we should sticky it.

is a uk quart close to a us quart?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: Mojo]
    #7803818 -

will it work on macs?


--------------------
I like to look at mushrooms the way most people like to look at flowers.

this is an amazing game
http://www.kongregate.com/games/customlogic/sprout

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: Molasses]
    #7803823 -

One US liquid quart is equal to 0.83 UK Quarts.

I used US liquid quarts as a standard because it is what you commonly see in measuring devices here in the US, it is also much easier to convert liquid quarts into cups (4 cups = 1 liquid Quart).

I would appreciate some input from people that reside outside of the US. I assume that most of your jars are measured in mL, and that’s why I put liters in the calculator. I put UK quarts in case anyone uses it. But i would be happy to modify it if anyone can chime in about what is commonly used.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: origami.octopus]
    #7803828 -

origami.octopus said:
will it work on macs?



It should work if you have Office 2003 or higher. Let me know if it doesn’t work for you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: Mojo]
    #7803910 -

Pretty sweeeeeeeet!

Thanks, takes out the guess work for sure!

Doc


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: Mojo]
    #7804172 -

That is awesome. Ive yet to actually spawn to anything, But this might just encourage me to spawn my WBS on my next grow.

Thanks Brother :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: Mojo]
    #7806589 -
Log in to view attachment

Nice job. :smile:

I was just using it to check the ratio of a half pint (240ml) pf cake crumbled to hpoo in a 1.5 liter tuperware container and it was very useful, thanks. :smile:

I then went on to check how much casing material I was going to need to pasturise for 4 of the trays.
http://www.shroomery.org/5227/How-and-how-deep-should-I-apply-the-casing-layer suggest 1/4 of the substrate depth with a max depth of 2 inches.

I added a few calculations onto the bottom of your sheet to calculate the recommeded depth of casing material and its volume (very badly formatted) which are attached. Any chance something like this can make v1.4? :smile: :smile:


--------------------
Rye -- WBS | Grain LC -- G2G | Bulk -- Monotub | 50/50 -- Late Casing -- A Pinning Strategy
Disclaimer: My opinion is subject to change at short notice subject to but not limited by new information and knowledge being made available.

Edited by shaggydogman (12/28/07 06:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: shaggydogman]
    #7806616 -

you are awesome

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: norml840]
    #7807003 -

Wow

I'm quite impressed to see another way to incorporate computers into mushroom growing
and i thought the shroomery was all there was :smile:

i sincerely thank you for putting this togethor
it will be a serious aid in the near future


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: anarchOi]
    #7822566 -

Very practical. Extremely useful tool as well.

:thumbup:

Watch the views for this thread exponentially increase as I'm sure many will refer to this future to come :smile:

Definitely going to help me in the future with some projects.:cool:

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:


--------------------
I've got bigger blunts to smoke...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: PinniesPlox]
    #7822586 -

Very nice, though i have never ever heard of a quart being used in the uk before.

Its always litres

Whenever i buy bilk its either 4 or 6 litres

When buy a can oh juice, its 440ml

When i buy orange juice is 1 litre.


--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7824070 -

veda_sticks said:
Very nice, though i have never ever heard of a quart being used in the uk before.

Its always litres

Whenever i buy bilk its either 4 or 6 litres

When buy a can oh juice, its 440ml

When i buy orange juice is 1 litre.



Have we Brits finally adopted metric? It must be at least 6 years since I was last in the U.K. and it was all pints then.


--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: Nibin]
    #7825950 -

We use both, but pretty much everything you buy comes in metric.
Beer still comes in pints :smile:

Jars and Tubs come in metric :wink:


--------------------
Rye -- WBS | Grain LC -- G2G | Bulk -- Monotub | 50/50 -- Late Casing -- A Pinning Strategy
Disclaimer: My opinion is subject to change at short notice subject to but not limited by new information and knowledge being made available.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: shaggydogman]
    #8185599 -

This should come in handy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: creekfreek]
    #8185823 -

is there any way to use this without Microsoft office?


--------------------
"Ten thousand flowers in spring
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life."
            -wumen

Edited by navyseals101 (03/24/08 02:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: navyseals101]
    #8185904 -

You can use the Excel viewer from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&displaylang=EN

I'm pretty sure it'll open in OpenOffice. It's an open source office suite like MS office but free. :smile:
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html


Edited by shaggydogman (03/24/08 04:10 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: shaggydogman]
    #8185916 -

^ I actually just mentioned excel viewer but I deleted that post because when opening the program with excel viewer you cant enter values...

I tryed clicking on the boxes and pressing numbers in but it didnt work..

any idea?


--------------------
"Ten thousand flowers in spring
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life."
            -wumen

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn Ratio Calculator. [Re: navyseals101]
    #8185936 -

Excel VIEWER! Yeah makes sense, bad call there! :smile:

Just tried it using google docs (you need to sign up a google account) and it works there.
http://docs.google.com/

If not then I'd certanly give OpenOffice a go...


--------------------
Rye -- WBS | Grain LC -- G2G | Bulk -- Monotub | 50/50 -- Late Casing -- A Pinning Strategy
Disclaimer: My opinion is subject to change at short notice subject to but not limited by new information and knowledge being made available.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Poo/Spawn Ratio
( 1 2 3 4 all )
ACN45 8,735 60 06/27/08 06:43 PM
by wissper
* Spawn Ratio bulk SixTango 5,859 14 03/16/03 01:25 AM
by d1giPhux
* Spawn ratio? stonErollEr1 3,208 4 10/24/01 07:14 AM
by stonErollEr1
* Sterilized poo bulk spawn ratio houshroom 1,723 2 07/14/03 07:05 PM
by houshroom
* Determining Spawn Ratio? u4ia 3,018 5 02/01/03 08:42 AM
by u4ia
* bulk spawn ratios?? rebelmoon 5,098 15 03/23/02 11:36 PM
by bluhoney
* 15% spawn ratio in bulk spliffmasta 2,202 16 01/12/05 02:52 AM
by Drink_Punk_Soda
* poop to grain spawn ratio. Derek 1,601 5 05/06/04 04:56 PM
by psilocybinjunkie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
31,478 topic views. 19 members, 228 guests and 133 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.