Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenavyseals101
Stranger
Male

Setting up an HPS ballast CHEAP
    #7775878 - 12/18/07 10:42 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I've learned that you can construct your own ballast through kits online or through parts at electrical supply places.
I dont know how to mount the lights onto the reflectors though

Do you guys recommend constructing your own? I'm really wanting to make this grow as cheap as possible, effective and a good project to build some basic knowledge with things

I've found a security light HPS 150W that can be purchased for 20$ and reassembled to be a remote ballast.

Whats a remote ballast?

any advice or recommendations? I think I should start acquiring parts so I just start getting things done and get this project to fall into going.

Do you recommend I buy the seperate HPS parts and construct my own ballast and reflector or what?

--------------------
"Ten thousand flowers in spring
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life."
            -wumen

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Setting up an HPS ballast CHEAP [Re: navyseals101]
    #7778566 - 12/19/07 05:35 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

a 150w hps is a joke. Use at least a 400. You can buy a pre fab economy ballast with bulb and reflector ready to go cheap, $125. If you search on the internet, you can figure out how to build your own shit. There is many websites that sell the ballast componants that have information on this.

I would reccomend buying the econo ballast because it is cheap. I would buy a reflector also. You can make your own but you need a source of shiny aluminum and some tools to do this. The reflector is one of the most important parts of the lighting system.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinenavyseals101
Stranger
Male

Re: Setting up an HPS ballast CHEAP [Re: derx]
    #7778638 - 12/19/07 05:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

^ Hmm, I've actually done some reserach already on constructing my own ballast.

Why are 150W HPS's a joke? I've heard someone who got the 400W regret it and he wishes he would of got the 150W HPS.

I'm thinking of doing a cabinet grow with 3-4 plants and have them in DWC buckets like this guy.

MOD EDIT: no non sponsor links it is right in the rules

but I may have to take your word for it. I just don't want heat to become an issue especially if the extra wattage isn't really needed to cover the small amount of space I'll be planning on utilizing.

--------------------
"Ten thousand flowers in spring
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life."
            -wumen

Edited by royer9864 (12/19/07 07:36 PM)

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

Re: Setting up an HPS ballast CHEAP [Re: navyseals101]
    #7778862 - 12/19/07 06:44 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I've seen many succesful ICmag grows that utilize a 150 watt bulb, and it's a good choice for a cheap bulb that you don't have to worry about overheating. However a 600 watt bulb is the most efficiant bulb there is and I'd reccomend using one. If you use 150 watt your buds will be loose and fluffy, so you'll just lose some yield at the end

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

OfflineNalim
OTD Kelly Girl
Female User Gallery

Re: Setting up an HPS ballast CHEAP [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #7779516 - 12/19/07 09:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

150W tends to give off to much heat compared to light to be a good idea. I'd go with 400W if that is an option.

--------------------

Rodney Brooks on Robots
Nalim said: "Quoting yourself is retarded."

Offlinegilrand
wannabesomething
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sub Arctic
Re: Setting up an HPS ballast CHEAP [Re: Nalim]
    #7780734 - 12/20/07 08:23 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Heya,

The wattage really depends on the size of your growth space. I have around 2x2 foot cabin and I wouldn't put a 600W light there no matter how efficient it is. The prices of 150-400W don't differ much, but I would really consider growth room space when acquiring one as more wattage means more heat. Also having a 600W bulb in small space doesn't increase the yields as I believe smaller light will give enough light to saturate the photosynthesis rate there.

Also I believe that you should buy kit with reflector as it is propably easiest way and you propably COULD save only like 10-20 bucks if finding and fitting all parts yourself. Just my opinion tho :P

--------------------
//Gilrand

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Setting up an HPS ballast CHEAP [Re: gilrand]
    #7781018 - 12/20/07 10:21 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

christ, 2x2? talk about a micro grow. Anyways, for most grows a 600 watt ballast is optimal since it provides a nice balance of lumens to money spent on electricity.

Unless you are an electrician or proficient at electrical work i would highly suggest against building your own ballast. Not only does it have the potential to kill you it's also a huge fire hazard as well. The last thing you want is a fire in your grow area.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinegilrand
wannabesomething
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sub Arctic
Re: Setting up an HPS ballast CHEAP [Re: coda]
    #7784439 - 12/21/07 03:21 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Well not all of us are living in cozy detached or similar SPACEOUS houses, some are confined to one room which includes kitchen.. :smile:

You can get pretty decent yields on 2x2, FOR PERSONAL (and friends) USE.. It can house six untopped plants which together can easily yield up to 100-150 grams which is enough for me to smoke TOO MUCH for over 6 months and in that time I've easily grown next batch :wink:

But I'll agree with buying a ready kit as I said before, for safety reasons aswell.. :smile:

--------------------
//Gilrand

Edited by gilrand (12/21/07 03:23 AM)

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Setting up an HPS ballast CHEAP [Re: gilrand]
    #7785331 - 12/21/07 11:49 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

If you are going to buy parts you can save money. All you need is enough basic knowledge to be able to twist wires together and put a wire nut on them. You strip about 1/2" of bare wire from each and twist them together in a clockwise direction with the tips toward you. Then put on the wire nut and twist it clockwise until it's good and tight. You should see no bare copper when you are done. Make sure you have the right size wire nuts for the size of wire. Kits will have all that in them.

A remote ballast is simply having the ballast a ways away from the reflector instead of built into the reflector. The ballast is heavy so remoting it is an advantage. Also, the ballast puts out a lot of heat and if you have it outside the grow room or grow area, then the heat is not put into there with the plants. Just use long enough wire so that the ballast is where you want it. Use the shortest amount of wire you can while leaving a little bit for leeway. You don't want 50' of wire because each foot uses a tiny bit of your electricity to make heat.

Even with a kit you have to put on wire nuts. Get some scrap wire and practice if you haven't done it before. Buying parts just means you buy a ballast and a reflector separately. The ballast should have a guide showing what wire goes where so it's like a kit. If the ballast doesn't include it, you will also need a cable to connect from the ballast to the reflector and a socket. Ask if the cable and socket comes with it or is extra. Then of course you need the right size bulb and hangers for the reflector. It's a piece of cake if you can use tools and are able to follow directions.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals