Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hygrometer, Malt Extract, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
My problem and how i solved it...
    #777436 - 07/26/02 01:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

First of all i would like to thank this forum and everyone who ever helped me (Anno, Moe, Tripmeister and so on). Most of all i would like to thank MeneerCactus for being my tutor and great helper of my whole attempt.

Well...

After a month of research and another month of actually practising the teks, i have only one point to comment on. Climate is something VERY important and on most teks it isnt even mentioning that. The problems i faced were not of those commonly to be found on amateurs, such as lack of sterilization or lack of proper care for the work. What was needed? I did more than that. I wore surgeon's mask and gloves, sterilizing everything etc... my friendz used to laugh on my method.

So, what was the problem in my method? CLIMATE. I chose to start this interesting personal occupation in summer, in Greece... what a mistake! I have read a hundred of different teks. And i have done exactly what is written in there. But then... i faced a huge problem. Temperature. How on earth could i keep a casing on a sealed [for humidity reasons] terrarium in 25 C (78 F) to initiate pinning, when outside on the streets the temp was higher than 40 C ??? I just couldnt. No matter fanning, misting, praying, the terrarium was in an almost constant temp of 31-32 C which is very bad, because not only pinning cant start at those temps, but also it is too high for the mycelium to leave normally (colonization has a max of 30 C and i was over it). The result: no matter what i did, fridging or whatever, no pins at sight for my verm casings. Two of my casings on soil resulted in overlay, probably due to long exposition on vegetative conditions. I also have one single cake which of course was there stooding hopeless.

I thought hard what to do and i realized i had no other option than RISKING. After all, i had nothing in my hands, apart from some null casings and a stupid cake. Days were passing and the only expected result would have been the contamination of them all even if i am using boiled water mixed with H2O2.

First of all, i opened the terrarium and threw the lid away. [too bad i dont have a cam]. I then took a white piece of cloth which is used as a fly-preventer on the windows. It has big holes so that u can see through it, but the holes are smaller than an insect. Hope u know what i mean. This piece of cloth was my new lid. No need of fanning anymore, as the casings are exposed in the fresh air ALL DAY AND NIGHT LONG. What is needed is misting. A lot of misting, for in an open terrarium u cant keep humidity up if u dont mist once in 2 hours. I know its a pain in the ass, but dont forget that i had nothing, so i risked everything. With this no-lid method, the temp dropped to about 28 C which at least it was okee so as not to kill my mycelium. I needed though to lower it more, and there was another risk to take. Air-condition. I moved the terrarium to another room where an air-condition is working for an hour in the noon and also all night long. When the air condition is working, the temp on the terrarium drops even to 22 or 23 C. So i said to myself, lets see what going to happen in the next days.

But i didnt have to wait long!!!!!! NEXT MORNING there was 3 pins on the casing: 1 beautiful big healthy guy and 2 smalls. The next day I had 2 lovely baby shroomies and 6 small ones, which i think will turn to aborts. Today, is the third day and my baby shroomies show such growth and look so health that i have to admit i am in loooove with them... I now understand the great feeling of seeing a shroom growing... its so beautiful!!!!!

The sealed with plastic bucket which has the cake in it, keeped well the humidity but also in high temps. As i saw that it worked on my casing, I moved it also to the air-conditioned room and the result was that today it is full of HUNDREDS! of hyphal knots or primordia, i am not sure whats the right word, but if everything go allright, the cake will have shrooms in a few dayz.

So, as a result, i am not saying that i managed to have something important in terms of yield or crop... on the contrary i have ONLY TWO HEALTHY EQ SHROOMS and plenty of null casing and a cake which carries with it a lot of hope. So, i am far away from being a succesful cultivator as far as yield goes, but i think i can be proud of myself that i managed under such weird and difficult climate conditions to produce at least 2 shrooms. My method [open terrarium on an air-condition] is probably a stupid, wrong thing to do but at least this silly idea showed me that i can do it. I will wait until October when the temps will be significantly lower. Because, after all, u can higher the temp if needed, but its difficult to lower it...

Thanx 4 reading my loooong post

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Edited by kykeon (07/26/02 01:36 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCubies4Me
Child of theShroom

Loc: Another Realm
Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: kykeon]
    #777454 - 07/26/02 01:41 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Very creative. Congrats on your success. Maybe there are shrooms you could grow that flourish in warmer temperatures? just a thought.

--------------------
:tongue:
  Livin comfortably numb, always and forever.

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: Cubies4Me]
    #777478 - 07/26/02 02:59 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

He's already cultivating what would be deemed a warm temperature strain

Congrats on your success. You're not the only one battling temperatures...

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#777479 - 07/26/02 03:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thanx!

i think that i could try "Psilocybe Cubensis Mr. G's 'A'" which are supposed to live and fruit in high temps, higher than 40.5 C (105 F) !!!!

but firstly i dunno where this info is true and where is this shroom to be found and secondly, i am NOT a shroom cultivator yet, able to confront difficulties that may probably arise, working with not-so-easy shrooms as EQ. Do you or anyone else know anything about those shrooms?

i am also thinking that i could put a towel on the walls of my terrarium, wet them for good and have a small fan working in there towards somewhere at the towel. this idea may result in high humidity without so much work [misting all the time].

did i mention i am in loooove with those babies? lol they are 3 cm tall by now, that means about 1cm / day ... their climate is: humidity high [unknown how high, spent money that i hadnt on buying an hygrometer that never worked] and temperature as follows:
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. = 27-29 C
3 p.m. to 4 p.m. = 23-25 C
4 p.m. to 9 p.m. = 26-28 C
9 p.m. to 9 a.m. = 23-25 C

Kykeon
athens, greece

---------
I forgot to write that as the air-condition dries the air in a room, i have put a wide mouth glass full of water inside the terrarium (i have read that if u sleep in a room with air-condition, you should leave a jar of water somewhere in the room).
---------

--------------------

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: psyconaut]
    #777481 - 07/26/02 03:03 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

>> Congrats on your success.

Thanx!

>> You're not the only one battling temperatures...

so, r u also living in a *HOT* place? I suppose you have a full auto setup for temp and humidity, right?

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#777502 - 07/26/02 03:55 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

a quik question : my shrooms look normal. should they look wet?

--------------------

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #777515 - 07/26/02 04:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Do you mean should they look slimey wet? If so, no....cubensis should have a 'normal' mushroom texture.

It's currently 88% relative humidity where I live....but only in the mid-20s today.

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#777586 - 07/26/02 05:33 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

so my shrooms r okee. now i put a towel on the wall, wet with h2o2 and it increased humidity a lot. thats cool, i dont have to mist all the time, for the towel is almost all the time wet

kykeon

--------------------

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #777613 - 07/26/02 06:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Kykeon! ?Ya did it, bud! ?COOL!!

Now ya just need about 7-10 more of those "babies" to get you where you want to go. (More if you take a friend or two)...

The "towels on the walls with a fan" idea is great! ?Not only will it increase humidity (you need around 80-90%) but it will also produce "evaporative cooling" so your temps will be less of a problem too!

We should call this the "Kykeo-cool-moist" tek

Congrats! and happy trips!!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: TM]
    #777631 - 07/26/02 06:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

lol

thanx bud!!!!

note: one of my babies had just become more pretty than ever!! a white line under the brown head, before the stem starts... uh, i love it!!!

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#778246 - 07/26/02 11:49 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

that sounded like a good idea - take the spores of that shroom. does anyone else know if its worth the try?

another idea that just popped up is: probably, i wont have a second crop. i mean the first is somehow a miracle that happened by the Spirit of the Great Mushroom.

so, what if after cropping the shroom i could take the mycelium out [that particular crumble of mycelium and innoculate a jar with that? does this means that if all go okee, the jar will be a cloned mycelium of that, say stronger to heat gene?

Just thoughts...

Moe will probably shoot me for not obeying his order: "dont mess with them all the time!"

--------------------

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #778264 - 07/26/02 11:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You want to clone that shroom, not use it's spores.

Take some inner flesh from the stem and innoculate some malt extract agar to make a nice rhizzy myc. to use to spawn your next jar of grain.

Get it?

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Offlinerheidiohed121
Simeon

#778283 - 07/26/02 12:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Is it possible to post a pic of your set-up?

--------------------
i apologize if i aide in the spreading of any misinformation

"Adventavit asinus,
Pulcher et fortissimus"

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: rheidiohed121]
    #779161 - 07/26/02 09:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

To rheidiohead121:
i am in very difficult financial situation at the moment, but i will try to use someone else's cam if possible!

To tripmeister:
okee i see, i have done this and worked on an Oyster bought from grocery store. Thanx!!!!

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: TM]
    #781261 - 07/28/02 01:49 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

hello!

last night, their caps were starting to open.
this morning, there are spores on the casing!!!! i put an alu foil on the bottom.

dunno why it happened, but i have a pair of WHITE EQ shrooms now...
when i say white, i mean the cap is white apart from the very very little area
on the top where it is deeeep brown. all the rest is white. its been like that
almost all the time it grew. it was born with brown cap and it matured with white cap!

i am searching desperately to find someone who have a digicam or webcam,
to post some pics of my white equadors!

have a nice day

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------

OfflineXnodieX
Stranger
    #14968636 - 08/24/11 12:57 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I seem to b having the same problem but its the opposite. i live in a colder place and cant seem to keep it hot in my apt. i have a thin heating pad used for reptiles in aquariums and it does seem to have any effect on it. this is my second cake i put in this terrarium and cant seem to get the pinning started. i have been misting and have the FAE right but keeping the Temp up is my problem. any suggestions?

OfflineJaffyJaffar
Nom Nom Nom
Male

Loc: AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!
Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: XnodieX]
    #14968713 - 08/24/11 01:19 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Success

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Loc: U.S. Flag
Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: JaffyJaffar]
    #14969676 - 08/24/11 08:51 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

:oldthread:

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

OfflineJaffyJaffar
Nom Nom Nom
Male

Loc: AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!
Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: Fungus_monk]
    #14969685 - 08/24/11 08:54 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Fuckin noobs

Wait, I'm a noob too, hmmmm

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Loc: U.S. Flag
Re: My problem and how i solved it... [Re: JaffyJaffar]
    #14969698 - 08/24/11 09:00 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

me too, its all good.

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hygrometer, Malt Extract, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation