Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Expert Opinions?
    #770695 - 07/23/02 01:10 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

A family member picked these and wished to know what they were. I know they?re not "magic mushrooms" of any kind, and nobody wants to eat them. I would like help identifying these guys for the sake of expanding my knowledge. To aid with scale, the red capped/white stem mushroom is approximately 2" tall. I will post spore prints in a couple of hours.

Thanks...

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Expert Opinions? [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #770726 - 07/23/02 01:32 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The first one(Red one) is Russla emetica. Poisonous. The second one is some type of bolete, notice that it does not have gills, some boletes are poisonous, some are edible, but none are hallucinogenic.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Expert Opinions? [Re: Gumby]
    #770748 - 07/23/02 01:44 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Think the other one might be a Boletus subvelutipes? I'm taking a spore print, so that should help make a positive id.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Invisibleshaggymane
PHARMER

Loc: great white north
    #770895 - 07/23/02 02:42 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Boletus are neat looking eh! I think your right Boletus subvelutipes

Anonymous

#771045 - 07/23/02 03:41 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #771270 - 07/23/02 05:18 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Nice pics!

The one on the right is probably, as you guessed, Boletus subvelutipes.

The other is a Russula, but IDing to species is another matter. Unfortunately, IDing Russulas to species, except for a few very distinctive ones, is not possible without a microscope and some time and effort. A couple key things you can check without a microscope are:
Is the mushroom acrid (peppery) to taste? Take a small piece (smaller than a fingernail), put it in your mouth, chew for a few seconds and spit all of it out.
With Russulas, the spore print color is important. They range from pure white to deep yellows to almost pale orange.
If you can get some, surface reaction to Ferrous Sulphate solution identifies some species. Ferrous Sulphate is not controlled or anything, and a couple ounces is a lifetime supply.
Bruise the mushroom and watch for color changes. Some of the easiest Russulas to ID are because of bruising.

Lots of people see the red Russulas and automatically say Russula emetica (or some other common species) but it's not that easy. One year at NAMA I watched Raymond Fatto separate specimens that all looked pretty much like what you've got into more than 10 different species. Humbling, to say the least.

Finally, I'll give you a quote from Ben Wu (one of the premiere Russula IDers around). "The thing Russulas are best for is kicking." (They kind of explode - much better than most mushrooms)

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Expert Opinions? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #771357 - 07/23/02 05:49 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

>"The thing Russulas are best for is kicking." (They kind of explode - much better than most mushrooms)

LoL... So true... They are incredibly brittle

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Expert Opinions? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #771751 - 07/23/02 08:07 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with Toxic, Russulas are very hard to identify. Anyway R. emetica is a good guess.
http://www.ilmyco.gen.chicago.il.us/Taxa/Russuemeti459.html

The other one could be Boletus erythropus:
http://www.kki.pl/zenit/grzyby_spyt/ga10.htm
http://www2.ac-lille.fr/myconord/PhotBoletusErythr.htm

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder