Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread!
    #7597772 -

My favorite thing to do is play guitar and jam with other people. There's nothing like cranking up the amp in a basement with a few of your friends and jumping into a groove.

...put the bong on top of the amp, pass around the beers and play all night long. There's a point in the night where everyone is pretty buzzed and the music just flows.

i am feining for a good jam session. unfortunately my friend's basment has been taken over by an uncle that moved in. we have been jamming there since highschool days.

on another note, smoking pot or drinking has become pretty pointless unless i'm jamming. it feels aimless and depressing. we havent had a good jam since the summer.

anyone else share this obsession? like your emotionally and musically bonded to the people you jam with?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: moon_glue]
    #7597787 -

jamming is sweet. gigging is even better. recording sucks. hahaha. far out. peace.


--------------------
my techno: www.myspace.com/funkbungus
my acoustic:

www.myspace.com/icanplaythetambourine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: moon_glue]
    #7597805 -

I raise my hand to this one. I almost exclusively smoke pot before/during a jam. I'm often disappointed though, because I'm so much more invested in the whole thing. I always end up being the most capable of whatever group I'm playing with and end up wishing I had some folks that were on my level, or better musicians than me (which only happens when my brother is around). I usually become the leader of the jam which I'm trying to stop doing.

I recently took part in a music club jam session at a local college. I was by far the youngest guy there, most of the others were teachers/professors or whatever. Anyway I ended up making them feel bad about their own skills, I guess. I guess I'm too serious about it, but it feels so good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: BoneMan]
    #7597837 -

Did a lot of stoned/drunk jamming in college.  We had this house on a hill with a big backyard and a detached garage at the far end... we just to set up in there among the spiders with a case of beer on the floor and joints flowin around and play blues all night [no matter how fucked up everyone is, you can still play the 12 bar blues].  People from the party would wander in and groove for a while, then go socialize some more or whatever, we'd just play for hours. 

For my 21st birthday my ADD friend gave me a shitload of orange 15mg instant release adderalls.  Soon after that my jammin buddies and I took em and played for like 12 hours.  We had to stop when the drummer's hand turned into a claw, he literally couldn't hold his sticks any longer.  Actually started to freak out a bit, cause his hand stayed clawed like that for a good hour :lol:

Main thing I learned was, getting fucked up and jamming is fun, but you don't get better.  If you want to improve as a band, or start a band, or get better as an individual guitar player or whatever, you gotta have discipline, a teacher, and like a good hour or more of practice a day.  Then you get good and you don't need the pot for jamming to be fun.


--------------------
_______________________________________________________________
namaste said:
no flamz in da ODD, if you got nothing to contribute then keep yo lips zipped
_________________________________________________________________

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: ThePeruvianTorch]
    #7597869 -

ThePeruvianTorch said:
jamming is sweet. gigging is even better. recording sucks. hahaha. far out. peace.



this is the story of my life right now.

me and my friends jammed all the time. made it official, got some gigs. even more fun. now we have to record - and it sucks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: moon_glue]
    #7597957 -

Man I loved jamming with my friends. Just kicking back all night, getting stoned and jammin out for hours and hours.

Was in a band with 3 of my closest friends for about 7 years. We played the club scene for a little while, opened for some national touring bands, met some of our musical heroes etc. Wouldn't trade it for anything. We recorded a couple demos but even though we had 3 albums worth of material, we never recorded a full album - too poor.

But one of my fondest memories ever was when me and the guitarist were chilling in his room, we split a quarter of mushrooms and spent, I think it was about 6 hours.. just freestyle jamming. Holy shit. Talk about synchronicity.. we were just riding off each others vibe and making the most beautiful music out of nowhere. We did one jam that literally lasted 2 hours, of nonstop playing. Good. Fucking. Times.

http://www.zebox.com/skultamaphon

Those are the old ass songs we ghetto recorded in 1996, using 2 mics in the middle of the room, no mixing, no mastering. No overdubs except the vocals (which suck). But hey, we were 16. Woot.

If you check it out.. listen to Insanity. That is a good example of what our epic jams were like.
12 minute instrumental metal symphonies FTW


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: Shroomism]
    #7597976 -

i have an equally shitty recording of us covering scarlet --> fire.

it was the first song we played after a 3 week hiatus so scarlet was ROUGH, but as soon as we switched it over to fire we were just ON POINT. (for the most part).

i'd upload it but im lazy and dont know how.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: Shroomism]
    #7597985 -

Quote:
Main thing I learned was, getting fucked up and jamming is fun, but you don't get better. If you want to improve as a band, or start a band, or get better as an individual guitar player or whatever, you gotta have discipline, a teacher, and like a good hour or more of practice a day. Then you get good and you don't need the pot for jamming to be fun.




some people consider practicing a chore. i can scale to a metronome in church modes, pentatonics, arpegios and it's the most relaxing part of my evening. when i play by myself i usually "practice" not play. or i fiddle with pickups and such to alter the sounds. When i'm with a group it's free form time! you have to practice to STAY good as well as be good.

Quote:
I'm often disappointed though, because I'm so much more invested in the whole thing. I always end up being the most capable of whatever group I'm playing with and end up wishing I had some folks that were on my level, or better musicians than me (which only happens when my brother is around). I usually become the leader of the jam which I'm trying to stop doing




im not the best guitarist by any means, but i can indentify with this. i'm a passionate musician, it's my escape from all the bad stuff. it's my zen! i sometimes end up being leader of the jam just because i have logged so many hours over the years. experience and efficient practicing is what it comes down to.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: memes]
    #7598010 -

Where I live there are quite a few musicians that get together periodically. The best times are when people show up that you've never met before and you get fresh licks.
Last year at my fourth of july party we were jamming in the front yard and these two guys pull up and said they heard the music as they were driving by and asked to sit in. They stayed and played for about three hours. One time I was playing the harp by myself in the house and I got a knock on the door. The guy said he heard the music from down the hill and asked if he could play with me. So he grabbed one of my guitars and we jammed for a couple of hours.
Those are the best times. Completely spontaneous.
Playing the blues with strangers, you really find out who you are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: El Zorro]
    #7598017 -

its hard to find good fusion musicians where i live,

infact impossible.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: El Zorro]
    #7598042 -

you can also tell alot about others when they play. example:

one of the most interesting people i've met and someone who was a total mystery as well. you could tell his life on the street in his early teens took him some bad places. he played guitar allmost lyricly, and there were a few songs he'd only play for his sister and i got to hear a few.they were very sad, very intense and melodic. it made you depressed but at the same time left you stunned.  he did some recordings of his bands and he could have gone far with it. the last i heard of him he was bumming around in his truck deep into his addictions. :frown:

i lost contact with him, and his sister. they were one of a kind people. his sister was proven to be a genuisse, the brother dropped outin 8th grade. they've both succombed to addictions. i wish i had a recording of him playing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: druqs]
    #7598339 -

mycelismymind said:
its hard to find good fusion musicians where i live,

infact impossible.



lol no kidding. it's hard enough sometimes to find people who understand some things need to be played slow and without distortion to sound good.

shredding isnt everything. i can't stand to listen to it really. i like to hear the whole group mesh as a whole then on instrument sticking out so much.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: moon_glue]
    #7598651 -

Well I've just started learning guitar.. a few of my mates are pretty fucking good (they're into tech death metal stuff.. and have their own prog death metal band).

When all my works done and I have a friday night to myself (normally I see my woman on the weekends, as we both go to different colleges), I like nothing more to lug a bowl or 2 and sit fucking around with my guitar.. making music out of the few chords, tidbits and scales that I know.

When one of my metal head friends drop by I take up the bongos (I have a few I bought in Cambridge a few years ago :laugh:) and do percussion while they jam :laugh:.

When I'm proficient enough I'd love to sit around with my my mates smoking spliffs and jamming out some tasty blues :grin:

In fact.. I can't wait :laugh:


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: Cepheus]
    #7599509 -

I had a great jam this weekend...

drums, bass, acoustic and electric guitar

Myself and 3 other friends switched it up all night long.
I am the best guitar player, never really played a drum kit before but I got the hang of it, esp the ride cymbal hahah

Ganja, Beer, and WhiteUnperf'd was on the menu

I didn't eat any of the acid because, well, I just wasn't feelin it at the time.

But what a fucking awesome jam!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: bluedolphin]
    #7599606 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: moon_glue]
    #7599776 -

Ive just started jamming (playing with other people). We usually just drink and play. Including myself, we have two guitarists and a drummer.

I have such hard trouble improvising a lead. So, ill usually get a chord progression going while the other guy leads, or ill play like bass lines. I can learn any song fine, but i cant improv for shit unless im smashing power chords. kinda sad, really.

i dont even know what blues sound like cause i dont listen to any blues music.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: moon_glue]
    #7599815 -

I'm saving up for a guitar,bass, or cello


--------------------
There is no valid reason you should be reading this

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: guitar/jamming/instrument obsession thread! [Re: Hyper_Panda_GO]
    #7599909 -

nice drum kit, and a sunroom would be a killer place to jam!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Learning Guitar
( 1 2 all )
ChopperDave 5,787 32 10/21/03 12:10 PM
by fireworks_god
* Jaco Pastorius Appreciation Thread Jim 1,436 17 01/22/05 01:15 AM
by Madweed420shroom
* Who here plays musical instruments?
( 1 2 3 all )
RRhoads 7,641 58 11/16/04 10:52 PM
by pantsboy
* Bass guitar
( 1 2 all )
PDU 4,302 32 09/12/03 10:36 PM
by Tasty_Smurf_House
* Buying a Guitar
( 1 2 all )
Comfortably_Numb 5,178 33 12/07/04 05:24 PM
by Jim
* My instruments. Hooty 1,744 10 07/04/04 03:27 PM
by Snape
* Post your instruments
( 1 2 all )
kindkesey 5,257 38 04/06/04 05:33 PM
by Gus
* Only HEndrix and Page can play guitar
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Big Fi52 11,119 93 02/17/06 01:09 PM
by gdman

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,903 topic views. 4 members, 16 guests and 167 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.