Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Pink Floyd, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Bass guitar
    #1886555 - 09/05/03 09:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

While ive owned a bass and very nice amp for awhile now... I was into it for ahwile, and progressing, just on my own. Then i kinda lost interest...as with plenty of people im sure, the skill just wasnt there and i felt like giving up, very discouraging. I really awnt to learn, but i cant afford lesson's, and thing's seem awkward with my friend's...i basically havent played the thing in a couple month's and dont have any rhythm and dont know where to start. I just dont have a musical understanding, and its sad.

How do i learn!

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineQuintessence
I am Hydrogen

Re: Bass guitar [Re: PDU]
    #1886594 - 09/05/03 10:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Learn the fret board, scales. The best way to learn though is just to play. Your goal is to make it to a point where you can play a note without thinking about where its located on the instrument.

Try to learn songs by ear. Put your favorite song on and try to play along.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Bass guitar [Re: Quintessence]
    #1886618 - 09/05/03 10:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

"Try to learn songs by ear. Put your favorite song on and try to play along."

Impossible i say. I mean...i might just listen to the wrong kinda music, super fast punk rock is easy, blah, anyone can make it sound punk. Ska and regae seem impossible....

But yeah, i think ill go back to my theory tutorial and start learning note's and scales, rather than playing tabs. Beginner to pro in a month, an hour a day! so it says...

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinedpc2424
headfull

Loc: inching towards the light
    #1886878 - 09/05/03 11:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i tought myself guitar, and at first it was very discouraging...i stopped playing for a few months, but eventually conjured up the motivation to learn.  the first thing i did was looked up guitar or bass tabs to songs that sounded simple in structure and that i knew very well.  while learning scales are important, i thought gaining some finger speed and common transitions were most important.  after i got that basic knowledge down i learned the scales...the scales are only needed for improvising, which comes second to basic finger skills.  there's a lot of ways to practice technique, with all the tutorials scattered about on the net.  keep pluggin away...guitar doesn't come easy for most, practice is key.  good luck  :thumbup:

--------------------
"What is needed today is a fundamental reexperience of the oneness of all living things, a comprehensive reality consciousness that ever more infrequently develops spontaneously, the more the primordial flora and fauna of our mother earth must yield to a dead technological environment."

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Bass guitar [Re: dpc2424]
    #1886993 - 09/06/03 12:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I thought the same as you DPC, ive developed my finger speed, and can move quickly and precisely up and down the neck, and have somewhat proper picking technique... I just dont know what note's to hit, and cant put together tab's to sound half decent. I started out in a band...and that was easy, being told what to do and having other instruments to follow...but just playing bass, it doesnt sound right, so i naturally try and complexify thing's and that just doesnt work.

Work work work...i know it too, i just gotta get to it. Ive been really wanting to trip with my bass.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1887736 - 09/06/03 05:21 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Just practice,practice,practice. You don't even have to take it that seriously,just keep playing and you'll get better,I promise. Learn a few scales and get a basic understanding of music theory and just play some practice exercises and a few easy songs. You can learn the real theory later when you have the skills to put it to use. If you're getting frustrated,move on to something else and come back to it later when you have a clear head.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1887773 - 09/06/03 05:45 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I started out in a band...and that was easy, being told what to do and having other instruments to follow...but just playing bass, it doesnt sound right, so i naturally try and complexify thing's and that just doesnt work.

Well,bass isn't usually a lead instrument,so there is only so much you can do without being really good and have improv skills.
I used to play bass,but I switched to guitar because I couldn't stand practing bass lines from songs that don't sound right without the other instruments.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleZenBhikku
BuddhistProdigy, longpast the age ofmaturity...
Loc: TN
Re: Bass guitar [Re: monoamine]
    #1887963 - 09/06/03 09:11 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey PDU, I taught myself guitar, then bass, and then finally 2 years ago I taught myself banjo. None of this came easy for me, but Im a great guitarist/bassist, and Ive never had a lesson. Ive never wanted one truthfully. If pl;aying bass is something you really want, then like someone else said, learn scales and do monotonous excersizes. One thing about the bass is, you have to have strong fingers for the fretboard. The best thing about bass is the slap. Once ytou learn how to do some funk slap bass lines, you'll never get bored of your axe again. I hope this helps.

Reuben

--------------------
Dark Star crashes, puring its light into ashes.
Searchlight casting, for faults in the clouds of delusion. Shall we go? You and I while we can...
Through, the transitive nightfall of diamonds...

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Bass guitar [Re: ZenBhikku]
    #1888090 - 09/06/03 11:14 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I think grandmasterfat hit the nail right on the head with this one.  Practice, practice practice! :smile:  I've only been playing for a couple years now.. but and like GMF said.. The only way you'll get a feel for the instrument is if you PRACTICE!  :smile:  I didn't start off learning scales really either.. Like you mentioned, I practiced moreso working my fingers on the fretboard for a while..Trying to develop my technique.

Try to make a habit of using all your fingers on all strings (don't forget your pinky!) ..A friend of mine showed me some 'excercises' to do..The most basic one I'll try to explain..

This is actually pretty time consuming to do, but it was well worth the sacrificed time in my case.  Start with your index finger on the first fret..Then your middle finger, second fret..ring finger 3rd fret.. pinky, forth fret.. plucking the string for each note.  Then move on to the next string, do the same thing.. fret one, two, three, four..use all four fingers. Once you do this for every string, do it again, starting with your index finger on the the second fret.. At this point it would be index, second fret, middle, third fret, ring, forth fret, pinky, fifth fret, for each string. Then again, starting on the the third fret..and so on and so on..You'll find it gets easier as you move down the fretboard. But, THEN do it all again, backwards, from fret 22 (or however many you have), back down to 1..with each finger, on each string.  I hope that makes sence. I've never actually tried to explain it in writing..Anyway, this really helps in getting a feel for the whole fretboard.. You could also 'invent' different variations of it, such as, starting with index finger, first fret, first string.. middle finger, second fret, second string.. ring finger.. third fret, third string.. pinky finger, forth fret, forth string... you get the idea..

Also learning some songs..I don't know..nirvana or something..simple stuff.  Will help.  Once you gain you're dexterity, everything just sort of comes together.  Learning some songs and playing them while listening to them on my computer has helped with my timing ALOT. 

If its something you want to do, you will be able to do it! Try to notice your progress, and especially what you need to work on, whenever you play.  It does take some time, but once you get a feel for your instrument, your progress will just keep gaining more and more momentum. 

Be patient..with time, you'll exteed all your expectations, and you'll fly on that thing.  :thumbup: 

Offlineeggystardust
Viva elDirector!

Re: Bass guitar [Re: ekomstop]
    #1888692 - 09/06/03 04:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I just started trying the bass myself recently, I'm kind of sick of having no musical talent... :smirk: I've really started building up the calusces (sp?) on my fingers and doing some fret exercices similar to what you stated above, ekomstop. Any body have some good links for begining/learning bass? 

Offlinefirstrays
Title? We don'need nosteeenkingtitle!
Male

Loc: TX
Re: Bass guitar [Re: eggystardust]
    #1888797 - 09/06/03 05:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

An easy way to learn without having to pay for lessons is to cultivate friendships with other musicians, other bass players. If you can find a guitar player that used to or still plays bass, you should be golden.

--------------------
Everybody knows you love me baby, everybody knows that you really do. Everybody knows that you've been faithfull, awww, give or take a night or two.

OfflinePurple Haze
Lime and limpidgreen, a secondscene

Loc: Canada
    #1889910 - 09/07/03 01:32 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hehe I felt like you are

I started playing electric guitar about a year ago, at first I could barely play... I never played accoustic before.

and today, after a lot of practicing, pauses, training.. I played this quite nicely..

~~~~ P
e---------12--------------------------|
b--15(U17)---15-12--------------------|
g-----------------14(U16)-(D12)----12-|
d-------------------------------14----|

~~~~ S S
e---------12-----------------------------|
b-15(U17)---15-12---------12-------------|
g-----------------14(U16)----14-12-14-12-|
d----------------------------------------|

H
e--------------------------------------|
b--------------------------12----------|
g-----12----12-------------12----------|
d-14-----14--------12-14-------14\-----|
a-------------/14-----------------S----|
E------------S-------------------------|

~~~~~
e---------------------12 12 12---------------------
b--15(U17)--15(U17)---12-15-12---------12-15-------
g------------------------------14(U16)------14(U16)
d--------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------

e-----------------|------------12-15(U17)-D15-12----------
b-12--------------|---------12----------------------------
g-----------14-12-|-14(U16)----------------------14(U16)--
d----12-14--------|---------------------------------------
a-----------------|---------------------------------------
E-----------------|---------------------------------------

S H ~~
e-----12------------|------------------------|-------------
b--15----15---------|------------------------|12-----------
g-----------14(U16)-|-12----------------9-11-|12-----------
d-------------------|----14\------9 11-------|---14--------
a-------------------|-------\----------------|-----\--/-S-\
E-------------------|--------S--0------------|------S------

and the chromatic one...

e-----------------|-----------------|---------------------
b-----------------|-----------------|---------------------
g-----------------|-----------------|------tr-------------
d-----------------|-----------------|-----0--2------------
a-3---------2-3-4-|-5----------4-5-6|-7-------------------
E---0-1-2-3-------|---2-3-4-5-------|---------------------

it's the solo in Hey Joe from Jimi

it was fun to hear myself ^^

I dont know if its right tho

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: Bass guitar [Re: Purple Haze]
    #1890064 - 09/07/03 02:45 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Alot of the internet tabs going around are pretty shitty. They sound good, but dont go tellin your friends thats how its really played. Im emotionally attached to my guitar. Once youve been playing for years and years and you can just jam as easily as youde hum to yourself, add mind altering drugs, and youve got the craziest, most emotional trip ever. I wouldnt give my guitars up for anything.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Bass guitar [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #1890419 - 09/07/03 06:47 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I_was_the_walrus said:
Im emotionally attached to my guitar. Once youve been playing for years and years and you can just jam as easily as youde hum to yourself, add mind altering drugs, and youve got the craziest, most emotional trip ever. I wouldnt give my guitars up for anything.

Thats how i wanna be. I really want to have a psychedelic session with my guitar, but i think at this point...it would more likely to discourage me, rather than encourage. As others said...If i want it, it will happen....and i certainly do. Im going to add *practice* my daily schedule. Id better be able to keep up with it...

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #1890858 - 09/07/03 02:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Learning to play sucks, you have to work, work, work. It will be shitty, you will want to smash your guitar, you will get discouraged time and time again, you must keep at it and one day it will hit you like........ BAM! wow that sounded really good!, and you will see some of your efforts pay off and it will be amazingly gratifying. Trust me.

I highly recommend Fretboard Logic. It is a complete fret board road map with simple intro's into theory. http://www.billedwards.com

OfflineDigs
Stranger
Male

Loc: aca
Re: Bass guitar [Re: Adom]
    #1891118 - 09/07/03 03:23 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It comes and goes in waves. (Doesnt everything?)

I've gotten to the point where I can entertain myself coming up with new licks and such, I think that's the point where you find it much easier and more enjoyable to "practice".  Good luck with sticking it through. :smile:

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: Bass guitar [Re: Adom]
    #1891201 - 09/07/03 03:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ive allways enjoyed my guitar. I didnt look at it like work, work, and practice and so on. Its allways been great, and somehow I just got better and better. And before I knew it I was blowing peoples minds :wink: 

--------------------

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: Bass guitar [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #1891623 - 09/07/03 08:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Being somewhat okay on the bass having played it for four years I would suggest this to you:

Atleast half of your practice time should be dedicated to probably an instructional book or lessons.  Books are cheap so lets say books.  A book will guide you okay.  Not as good as lessons but they are expensive.

The other half should be dedicated to some time spent trying to play other people's music.  Now when people say that they can't make it sound right it makes me think that perhaps you don't have the timing right unless you are not hitting the right frets?  The trick is to start with easy songs, identify them by listening to music you like and spotting simple basslines.  Try not to spend too long playing songs where the bass is just "meat" behind the guitar (lots of metal that has two guitarists, some punk).  Play some sabbath.. paranoid.. not a bad song to get into the groove with.  Floyd is simple but heavily variated (so hard) you have to be on your toes.

Being a tool fan I would spend hours playing the bass line from flood, which has you going up the frets like a scale so it requires strong little finger.  Before long my little finger was incredibly stronger.  Songs like these are very useful because they strengthen your fingers as well as teaching you a timing.  Yes tabs can often be inaccurate but the funny thing is that by exploring a tab you will often hone your listening abilities to spot the errors and you may very well figure out the problems with them.

You need to learn by "small victories" - by that I mean you want to achieve goals along the way, it is no good never achieving anything when you are learning, small achievements will keep you going, they keep the thirst.  Get a decent stereo system so that the bass guitar in other people's music can be well reproduced so you can figure it out.  Try to get some decent amplification for your bass also.  If you can rattle the roof with it, its loud enough.  The louder you play stuff the more energised you will be from it and the more fun it will be - just my opinion :smile:

One final thing, you must get into the mindset of practice every day.  Its hard I know.. hell I'm trying to learn to sing and its really hard to practice every day, the bass I enjoyed but yeh. its hard - I understand your pain.

Dare I risk this.. oh well:

Picking a bass has an ok sound but if you really want to be a bass player you should develop your fingers more.  The sonic variation available on a bass with fingers is great.  Not so great with a pick.

Basstab Archive
Tool Tabs 

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
Dank Nihilist
Other User Gallery Arcade Champion: Blackjack

Loc: BC
Re: Bass guitar [Re: utopianglory]
    #1891691 - 09/07/03 08:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i play some bass. I rekkomend going to the bass tab arkive ^^^^^ and then printing off some tabs of a few easy songs and going from there.
Iron Man - blakk sabbath
New Millenium Homes - rage against the mashine
Money - pink floyd

I got a book of skales and stuff, i looked at it onse and that was it. I kan read musik, but i have no idea where it korresponds to a bass. I kould figure it out, but it would take me a bit. Its good to just get playing. Just play notes and make a few kool riffs, Maybe find a few people that you kan just jam with. Even if you suk, its still good to get out and playing.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Bass guitar [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #1892084 - 09/07/03 10:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Lots of great advice, and encouragement. It seems repetition is really driving me to get my life straight...Today or tommorow i am going to make a daily schedule and follow it, and it will include bass practice.

Ive got a 400watt amp, its fucking awesome... And yesterday a Couple fella's offered to start a hardcore/crust band...Not the most technical or talented genre's, but it will be fun. All my friends are all into the punk stuff, and thats cool...but its pretty basic. Bass is all about picking and slapping, i want to excell and be able to carry a lead with my bass, that is what i respect, and aspire to...I mean, since i was 3 feet tall i wanted to play standup...

Yesterday at the metal fest...there was a band with a 6 string bass..and a couple other fantastic metal bassist's, and i really observed their technique's and riff's...

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Pink Floyd, Scales

Community >> The Pub