Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Melatonin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Papers

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
The "Quitting Weed" FAQ * 4
    #8441606 - 05/24/08 10:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Are you contemplating quitting weed? Is it interferring too much with the rest of your life? Well here's a little write up on what to expect and how to deal with it. Disclaimer: This will not go in any particular order as I am not an organised thinker.

To start this off lets discuss your habit. Maybe you've smoked weed daily for the last 6 months or more. You've become comfortable with it and use it to regulate your emotions, sleep shedule, attitude, appetite, and life style. You budget your money with your weekly stash in mind and make sacrifices when you are short on cash to maintain a steady supply. Maybe you hang out with people that you know always has a stash and likes to share, but you dont care for their company. Or, perhaps you realized that for the last 20 weekends you havent left your house or seeked out new experiences because you're too content to be high on the couch. .... .... umm... and 50 percent of your diet is comprised of dollar menu items!! :crazy2:

:mcdeath:

Any of that sound familiar? STONER!

That brings you to the present, you want to change, cut back, take a break from it, or maybe quit it all together. The difficulty varies between us all.

The first thing you want to consider is your goal. Smoke less, or quit all together. Either way you're going to have to quit for a substantial amount of time so you can re-learn the normal state of mind and dealing with all the extra time that comes with it. You'l suddenly realise that alot of what you enjoy isnt the same without weed. Because hell, anything bullshit can be fun if youre baked.

DIET AND APETITE
The first 2 weeks you may be compulsivly eating in reation to the feeling that "something's missing." You can also loose your apetite because the "munchies" are missing. This is how i dealt with both.

Go grocery shopping! This is going to sound like hippie nonsense but it is based on real science. Bare with me for a moment. Get fresh fruits - pairs, strawberries, peaches, pinapples, apples, oranges, mangos, blue berries, grapes, anything you like. Or get em all for variety. Get fresh NOT CANNED. Canned fruit is just sugar syrup. Get decaff sugar free drinks like green tea, natural juices (not the sugar water concoctions) milk, or water. The reason for it being decaff and sugar free is to keep you from unconciously resorting to them for a "lift". Sugar cravings are a natural response from your body when you're in a state of distress. Constant sugar intake will make your energy, as well as emotions crash through out the day. You dont need this right now. Caffeine often becomes the drug of choice for "sober" people. It will also raise your stress signs, adrenaline, hormones, and cause crashes.

fuck salads, they suck. just kidding.

Fruits will serve as a snack if your compulsively eating. Chances are, if youve been doing the munchie stoner diet, you've unknowingly become addicted to apetetite triggering substances like sodium, sugar, and processed food with perservatives. Because of this diet, you may have developed a seriuos lack of nutrition. This will stimulate your apetite - do you get hungry soon after you eat? Snacking on raw, fresh stuff will re-regulate your diet after a while. No uneeded weight gain, acne, sweating, or foul body oder. Or diareha... and taking a shit 6 times a day.

Are you eating conciously... are you aware? When you eat are you driving, watching tv, playing video games or working? Well you're gonna have to stop that. Spend at least a half hour eating meals. Just you and your plate. at a table. Eat slowly, chew your damn food, then sit around for a while afterwards. Even if you are still hungry, wait 15 minutes and your hunger will be gone. It takes a moment for your body to shut your hunger off.

Which brings me to meals! Whatever you eat, cook it yourself. The activity of cooking will suck up some of that extra time your sober life provides you with. There's plenty of easy stuff you can cook without too much work in half an hour. Rice, pasta, veggies, potatoes, corn, peas, sauteed vegies, some nice cuts of meat... whatever. Maybe some fancy bread you french fag nasty. You'l also be able to eat like a king for the price of eating dollar menu garbage 3 meals a day.

This will help you get away from apetite triggering crap, and get you eating healthy things give you a sense of well being. When you are stoned all the time, you dont notice how crappy a poor diet will make you feel.

You want to minimize the shock to your metabolism

Are you not able to eat? You dont want to loose too much weight too fast! Your bodys reaction is that you're in a state of famine. Loosing more than 4 or 5 pounds a week triggers this. Your metabolism slows down and you bring on unneededd distress. Side note - this is why fast diets do not work! Try supplementing with protein shakes in the morning to maintain muscle and body mass.

PARAPHENALIA

This is a quick section. No doubt you've accumulated a nice collection of high quality glass. But it's time to get rid of this. If you have enticing glass shrines dedicated to a habit you're trying to change, you're not dedicated to changing the habit. It's hard, trust me, I spent 2000$ collecting unique glass from local artists. I sold most, and gave some away. Once it's gone you dont miss it so much. Look at it this way; if you're trying to become an occasional smoker a joint here and there will get you off PLENTY. Shwag will rock your world. An eighth of middies will bake you out for a week for vacations or whatever. So all you'l need is a pack (high quality!) rolling papers for your occasional stashes. But this is way in the future.

Don't be that half hearted quitter who's sitting on the sofa and taking dry hits out of an empty bong. sheesh.

LIFESTYLE
You'l probably be spending alot of time with the people you used to smoke with. If you stay sober you'l realize how boring it is to be around alot of these people. Don't smoke to make it fun, find something thats actually worth doing.

You'l be lonely for a while, and extremely bored. Take up an instrument, get a library card (can i reccomend invisible man by ralph ellison?), start brewing wine, start growing vegitables, whatever. You need something mentally stimulating so you dont get fixated on what you AREN'T DOING. When i quit i made up for the lack of social life, crippling boredom, and negative feelings by reading. It rips your life away and doesnt rot your brain like TV. I also got immensly better at guitar, studied music theory, learned how to grow shrooms, and started getting my degree from a local community college. I got a 3.8 gpa and am working towards a transfer to a university. When youre not drugged up all the time, you'l enjoy little challenges with deeper rewards. I started doing meditation which i think was the biggest thing in helping me control impusive cravings and attitudes. It feels retarded sitting there doing nothing, but after awhile you'l understand what it's all about.

You may want to consider a hobby with lots of stuff to buy. That way weed money starts to look like a subtraction from stuff that youd rather do. I started investing in gold and silver just for kicks so i wouldnt spend extra money. Turned out to be a great investment and a fun collection.

EXERCISE
I don't. I hate treadmills, weightlifting, and everyhting else. fuck it. Alot of my hobbies provide plenty of physical activity. According to 98% of the science community... you need this! This is where I set my foot down and say FUCK YOU to science. Just kidding.

You need to get the exercise. It will help you mentally as well as physicly. For me its swinging a pick ax, hitting a punching back, digging, swinging a hammer... give me something to hit something else with. I'l get sweaty for a few hours and im happy. Walking is also nice and relaxing. Whatever does it for you, it's a great way to get rid of the tension you'l have. If you are an inactive person or youve been lazy for a while youl notice the effects when you stop. The rest of the evening you have a great sense of well being and your body feels great. You can do your own research on exercise. Im not a gym goer, or know anything about body building. If it makes me tired and sweaty, its exericise. 

Oh and depending on the area where you live, id reccomend mountain biking. I sold my bike because it's impractical where i currently live. It's a cheap hobby (once you drop a couple grand on a bike), you can tinker with your bike in the garage when you're bored, plenty of stuff to buy ect. You wont want to buy weed (or food for that matter) when you're looking at the knobiest downhill tires in the bike shop. Or upgrading 6 inch rotors to 8. i miss it allready :sad:. But you get what im saying.

A Breif note on psychology and picking the right activity for you Are you a fighter or a runner? Consider this - If you are the type of person who gets pissed of and hits stuff pick something similar. If you are the type of person who runs away or escapes pick an activity where you move alot. There is a huge link between the neuro peptides in your muscle (the "memory" in your muscle) and what activities personally will give you the most satisyfying emotional release. After all, you're trying to find alternatives to smoking weed for a release, right?!? Explore it and try some things.

TRIGGER ACTIVITIES AND BEHAVIOURS
What session of the day do you hold dear?
-"just get home from work" session?
-7:30pm "evening wind down session"?
-10:00pm "before bed session"?
-wake and bake?
-"driving home" session?

What things make you want to smoke consistently?
-A great day with great weather
-A bad day
-sex
-coffee
-boredome
-stress
-herpes

If you want to quit you have to REPLACE this pot smoking with something else in each situation. It's alot easier to tell yourself "instead of smoking pot, im buying a cream cherry soda... the good kind... in the glass bottle...with the pop top... on the way home" It's alot harder to just say "I'm not going to smoke on the way home today." That's because repression doesn't work as well as replacement. Repression isn't a solution, you're not changing anything. Behavior replacement not only forces you to create something new (intruducing new thought into the brain), but puts that repressed energy, pleasure, whatever into something else. The brain doesnt give negative commands, just like a computer doesn't give negative commands, it only cancels positive commands. You'l be doing this all day for a while.

Personal note - my "late evening wind down session" activity replacement has come around full circle and in time you will notice this too. I was offered some weed at a friends house before i went home for the night and said "no" without thinking. I thought about it on the way home and realized I didn't want the weed to interfer with my "replacement" activity. So it's a powerful tool for changing yourself.

The problem with this area is that there's so much room for you to rationalize. "man it's such a pretty day, i SHOULD smoke" or "this has been a great day, it can get better if i smoke a little..."

really its alot of words that mean the same thing. "I'm going to smoke because ________." And after you've had your little fix and the fiend side of you has shut up you realize you've been tricked again damnit!!!

IL ADD TO THIS LATER im taking a break.

Edited by moon_glue (05/25/08 01:23 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: moon_glue] * 1
    #8441627 - 05/24/08 10:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i scroll down and read this:

Quote:

Exercise
I don't. I hate treadmills, weightlifting, and everyhting else. fuck it. Alot of my hobbies provide plenty of physical activity. According to 98% of the science community... you need this! This is where I set my foot down and say FUCK YOU to science.

dude, being active is important no matter what

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: moon_glue]
    #8441644 - 05/24/08 10:14 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There's some good advice in there.

In the past when I've tried to quit, I've found that it's impossible to do without severely impairing my school/work performance for a substnatial amount of time (at least a week). Last time I tried to quit, I started back up to rescue my grades when they started spiralling. If you have any tips for dealing with this anxiety/irritability and decrease in cognitive function, I'd be interested.

Also, I don't get insomnia too badly when I quit (maybe because I'm always short on sleep anyway), but for people who do, I hear melatonin is a great natural sleeping aide.

And along the lines of nutritional deficits: Whether or not you quitting smoking, it's a good idea to take a good multivitamin.

Oh yeah; excersize is extremely important. It's been shown to be more effective than antidepressant drugs at treating common depression. Plus it helps keep your metabolism running strong. It only takes 20 minutes a day or so to experience benefits from it.

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: Atheist]
    #8441653 - 05/24/08 10:15 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i know. i get plenty of it. it was a joke.

InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #8441655 - 05/24/08 10:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I don't.

k, i didnt know you were jokin

but exercise is seriously important

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8441664 - 05/24/08 10:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
There's some good advice in there.

In the past when I've tried to quit, I've found that it's impossible to do without severely impairing my school/work performance for a substnatial amount of time (at least a week). Last time I tried to quit, I started back up to rescue my grades when they started spiralling. If you have any tips for dealing with this anxiety/irritability and decrease in cognitive function, I'd be interested.

Also, I don't get insomnia too badly when I quit (maybe because I'm always short on sleep anyway), but for people who do, I hear melatonin is a great natural sleeping aide.

And along the lines of nutritional deficits: Whether or not you quitting smoking, it's a good idea to take a good multivitamin.

il be sure to add it to the list of things i'l be including in this FAQ. im trying to keep it concise and organised, so i'l write it in installments.

i want this to be helpful for someone.

OfflineDscid
 User Gallery

#8441809 - 05/24/08 10:56 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There is good information in there. That's pretty much how I handled it, too. Shroom cultivation, guitar, music theory/composition, piano, meditation, and cooking. Then getting out in the world a little more :P

Make it worth it to smoke, not due to habit that something is missing, like you said, not to make it fun, but while having fun. Agreed.

I say, keep this little FAQ growing

OfflineRun DMT
information is Power

Loc: ignorance is bliss
    #8441817 - 05/24/08 10:57 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I noticed that my dreams were way intense when I quit smoking. They would seem so real and I would wake up sweating and toss n turn a lot. I never realized how much pot inhibited my dreaming till I quit. After a few months they weren't as bad. I still would rather not dream though, even if it is healthy to.

--------------------
I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal?

Offlinesandman_130
Neo-Classical Spiritualist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: Run DMT] * 1
    #8441894 - 05/24/08 11:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I was a typical hardcore stoner from about 16-20, sold weed, smoked large amounts all day etc....

I quit 2 years ago, I have come back a few times, here and there on the weekends. But as of late i'm on my biggest roll, about 6 months without a hoot.

Once you quit its never the same, I couldn't start again if I tried, and when I look back, I never hurt anyone but myself. So much wasted time, great times, but at this point in my life I have to be going somewhere and when I was smoking weed I wasnt.

Sure everyone's different, but for me getting stoned meant watching tv, playing video games and listening to music.

Now that i'm sober, I feel like I have my soul back. I love to work out again, I dont get paranoid, and it just feels like i'm actually living my life.

Please dont get me wrong, i'm not all against weed. I love weed and I always will, but I believe that for most people their is a time in life when they need to quit or at least cut down alot to get a full perspective of where they're going in life. We all know weed isnt bad for you, but it does get you acustom of being satisfied with the same old job, and the same old shit.

If your thinking about quiting, it does suck, and it is hard. But it only takes a couple weeks to get sleeping easy again, and then its just breaking the lifestyle.

moderation is the key to all pleasures in life.

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand.":mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

:sunny::mushroom2:Maria Sabina:mushroom2::sunny:

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: sandman_130]
    #8441982 - 05/24/08 11:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I noticed that my dreams were way intense when I quit smoking. They would seem so real and I would wake up sweating and toss n turn a lot. I never realized how much pot inhibited my dreaming till I quit. After a few months they weren't as bad. I still would rather not dream though, even if it is healthy to.

do some research on the stages of sleep and how it effects the mine. Learn the science. Then do some research the holistic approah and using sleep and dreams as aids in life. its an interesting read

Quote:

Once you quit its never the same, I couldn't start again if I tried, and when I look back, I never hurt anyone but myself. So much wasted time, great times, but at this point in my life I have to be going somewhere and when I was smoking weed I wasnt.

yeah, it takes on a different meaning. but for me, there's alot of pleasure in rolling and smoking a joint occosaionally. then putting on some pink floyd or ambient trance and exploring matress land lol. makes me feel like a kid again.

Invisiblebryguy27007
Cosmonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8442030 - 05/25/08 12:03 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

moon_glue said:
(can i reccomend invisible man by ralph ellison?)

My old Comparative Politics teacher gave me that book, I got about 10 pages into it but got distracted by other things, I should pick it back up again.

Good post by the way.

Offlineporcupine
Stranger
Male
Loc: MI
Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: bryguy27007]
    #8442116 - 05/25/08 12:37 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

weed is the most psychologically addictive substance i ever tried. i finally managed to give it up 2.5 years ago but i still get cravings for it on a daily bases. its funny cause after i quit opiates the cravings only lasted six months or so. alcohol, the bad cravings only lasted a few weeks. but it just the most addictive drug for me by far. i know i can never touch it again because every time i do, i automatically start smoking all day every day. as soon as i get stoned, i dont care about any limit i set for myself.

OfflineCyrone
That guy
Male User Gallery

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: porcupine]
    #8442310 - 05/25/08 01:47 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

This is an excellent FAQ.
One of the things you may add is eating weed, instead of smoking it. Especially if your coughs and whatnot are bad.

InvisibleKOPELANDIAA
Stranger

Loc: under a pine
Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: Cyrone] * 1
    #8442324 - 05/25/08 01:53 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

ask the mushrooms to heal you and get rid of this addiction...it works !

Offlinewildchild68
lion in a coma
 User Gallery

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: KOPELANDIAA]
    #8442599 - 05/25/08 04:02 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

My quitting weed tek:

1) Don't smoke.
2) Done.

--------------------

OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: wildchild68]
    #8442612 - 05/25/08 04:08 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

quit quitting, quitting is for quitters and thats quintittiling gay

--------------------

Offlineezkiel
IV:XX

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: Coaster]
    #8443059 - 05/25/08 10:19 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
quit quitting, quitting is for quitters and thats quintittiling gay

questionable

--------------------

I've made  few spore choices in my life. :mushroom2:
Chop... Drop... and Roll

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: ezkiel]
    #8443148 - 05/25/08 11:49 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You make it sound like it's hard to quit cannabis.

When it runs out, it's out. There! Desired outcome is reached. You can now spend your money on booze and heroin.

--------------------
Wiccan_Seeker said:
slide down a pole than with your legs spread and using your pussy as a brake. Ask the fire department :imslow:

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #8443155 - 05/25/08 11:54 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

That's well and good if that works for you. But for some of us, cannabis is extremely psychologically addictive, and abruptly ceasing use brings on a withdrawal syndrome (can't eat or sleep) which lasts over a week.

InvisibleEll Ess Bree
reppin state tostate, wat uneed?

Re: The "Quitting Weed" FAQ [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8443158 - 05/25/08 11:59 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Here's what I did to quit smokin weed:

I found a girl to spend my time with and money on instead of pot.

Irony is, she smokes just as much as me + coaster + the rest of you together and then some...  so I just ended up smokin' more.

Only now I don't give a fuck how much I smoke because this wondaful lady keeps me feelin' good about anything and everything all day, soooo :grin:

<3 women, fuh rullz 

:heart::heart::heart::heart: :peace::peace::peace::peace:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Melatonin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Papers

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience