Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Alternative Cyan chips?
    #7566047 -

So I got some chips back to Michigan and I'm going to see how they will do out here. One thing though, we don't have Alder trees. What would be a good local alternative to Alder chips? Maple? Oak is pretty dense so I kind of guessed no. What would be my best bet?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: b3jamboree]
    #7566251 -

hardwood chips would include alder, apple, cherry, aspen, maple, beech, birch, cottonwood, hickory, mesquite, oak or any tree that has leaves it drops in the winter. try shopping for smoke chips used in grilling. they are usually available at lowes, big box grocery stores or stores that specialize in grilling. Fresh cut chips are ideal but kiln dried smoke chips will work. Just don't use softwood chips such as cedar, fir, douglas fir, redwood, sequoia, yew or anything that is an evergreen.


--------------------
Hunt On, Good Fellow


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: thetonebone72]
    #7566387 -

Cool, thanks alot. I will be able to get them fresh. Actually I'll just fell a tree and chip it up myself so a little more of my sweat and love goes into it. I'll probably go with maple I imagine.

Stay tuned next year for the results. I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried a cyan patch in northern michigan. We'll see how they handle a good hard freeze...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: b3jamboree]
    #7566406 -

Ill have one fruiting pretty soon...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: strangladesh]
    #7566412 -

by soon you mean next year?


--------------------
Everything I have ever said is total bogus bs I am full of crud therefore everything I say should never be taken literal.

And I am mentally unstable.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: budmanman]
    #7566492 -

I have a cultivated patch in cincinnati at my bro in laws house.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: Boomers420]
    #7566563 -

Cinci eh. Thats pretty encouraging. Although it does it waaaay colder up here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: b3jamboree]
    #7566762 -

Willow, elm, fir and spruce are probably the best alternatives to alder. Maple works well also.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: falcon]
    #7566788 -

fir and spruce are soft woods are they not?
thats not really a good alternative at all...


--------------------
View My Gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #7566802 -

Most softwoods are not a good alternative, spruce and fir are better than most hardwoods.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #7566803 -

Cyans usually like warmer weather i thought? so surely thats a good sign. Oak is a good, common hardwood, as are elm and beech. All easily identifiable.


--------------------
"Make hay while the sun shines"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: haymaker]
    #7566835 -

Quote:
Most softwoods are not a good alternative, spruce and fir are better than most hardwoods.




:nonono:

why do the majority of cyans grow on hardwood chips then?


--------------------
View My Gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #7567340 -

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5508532#Post5508532,
they also do well on Picea pungens. 

:shrug: I don't know why they don't turn up more often on soft wood chips.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: falcon] * 1
    #7567683 -

I've never found them on fir, and I have worked in the lanscape trade in the NW for a long time ,and mostly all that is used is fir bark where I live. Maybe the wood chipped, but I dunno...

If you go to a pet store, you can usually find bales of aspen shavings.


--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alternative Cyan chips? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #7568840 -

i think the reason pine and other soft woods are not the best is cos they have a high resin content :shrug:

im planning to make my own patch also and i will stick with hardwood, pine would be OK if it was aged correctly i guess...

that link was useful falcon, thanks :yesnod:


--------------------
View My Gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* "Wild cyans" w/pics
( 1 2 all )
h2o 6,922 27 11/12/04 06:47 PM
by Psilygirl
* Cyans north of the border? Van/Vic? Dogomush 1,829 14 11/17/02 05:54 PM
by Coma of Souls
* Cyan id?
( 1 2 3 all )
Quaevil 5,747 40 10/20/04 06:04 PM
by Quaevil
* first cyans of the year!!!!!
( 1 2 all )
cyan-shaman 3,745 21 10/06/03 06:24 PM
by azurescen
* Fir mulch/chips ranke 3,711 12 10/18/06 09:39 PM
by ranke
* Hardwood vs Softwood and more... bcfresh 3,172 13 11/18/07 01:26 PM
by cactu
* Question about cyan mycelium. hEAtOniKgun 805 4 11/09/05 06:38 PM
by didjin_d
* Cyan? bomber101 744 6 12/03/05 03:29 PM
by Dr_Mcgillicuddy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,160 topic views. 1 members, 25 guests and 66 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.012 seconds on 16 queries.