Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
Is it laughing? Pix/ID.
    #733452 - 07/09/02 09:26 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In the back of my mind I remember reading Gyms can also be shelf-like mushrooms. The again, I?m probably completely wrong. These looked like they were laughing when I first saw them - the mushroom had an ?upper lip? and a ?lower lip?, and were bright rusty/reddish/orange gilled. So far I can?t see a spore print (white paper), so I am assuming it?s white spored at the moment. They are VERY fragrant, and can smell them accross the room. The smell is hard to describe...farinacious(?),no not really, hmm. Sweet, strange, strong but not at all repulsive smell. They bruise blue. They bruise over time (see pic 4), NOT immediately like some boulettes. The ones in pic 4, with the exception of the upper far right mushroom, were older and had dried on the tree (and show some of the blueing). I can?t get a good ID out of the Nat. Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms. Oh, by the way...national parks rule...If only it had rained for a week previous... .

Bluemoon

See, its laughing at me damnit! Screw you shroom!...ahh, too much southpark.

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
Re: Is it laughing? Pix/ID. [Re: bluemoon]
    #733664 - 07/09/02 10:26 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know what they are, but they're not Gyms. Gyms are that color, but look like regular mushrooms. They're kind of acrid smelling.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #733915 - 07/09/02 12:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Try comparing your specimens with Paxillus corrugatus. Lincoff doesn't have a photo of that species, but he does have a close relative, Paxillus panuoides. The wavy, bright orange gills with some crossveining near the base of the cap (the group to the lower left in the first photo) are the most distinctive feature I used to guess. Paxillus gills are typically easy to separate from the cap (compared to other gilled mushrooms). Bessette states that P. corrugatus develops a disagreeable odor when they dry, and describes the bruising as reddish brown, not blue. Otherwise, your specimens conform to his description.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
Re: Is it laughing? Pix/ID. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #734053 - 07/09/02 01:22 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Those photos look similar to mine but mine don't have a stem. The first photo is a few mushrooms scraped off the tree. The upper lips and lower lips are seperated and placed back on the tree when the pic was taken, showing both the gills and the top of the mushroom. The second and third photos show the shape of the mushrooms best. Also, some of the mushrooms I looked at were growing togother in stacks. They grow with the top 'lip' coming off the dead logs like a shelf and the bottom lip growing on the log, gills facing out. An upsidedown L shape. They also darken (bruise?) reddish brown as they dry, and they are still very strong smelling, if not stronger, similar to the ones you described toxic man. The dry ones on the tree had turned blue in the 'gill' area, with blue areas showing on the tops.

Bluemoon

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

Anonymous

#734555 - 07/09/02 04:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Is it laughing? Pix/ID. [Re: ]
    #734567 - 07/09/02 04:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

They might be laughing...but are not Gyms...

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflinePapa_Bear
M-M GOOD!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
    #734625 - 07/09/02 05:14 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Excellent photos ! As near as I can guess is they look very much like Paxillus..Crinkle Gilled...? Found on Conifers and deciduous trees.....eastern north america. Your right national parks and state parks are great places to hunt.

Edited by Papa_Bear (07/09/02 05:16 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #734634 - 07/09/02 05:19 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Paxillus corrugatus has no stem, or, at best, a rudimentary one. The photo in my copy of Lincoff's book (Audubon Society) of Paxillus panuoides is number 499, labelled Stalkless Paxillus. In the notes for that species he mentions P. corrugatus as a similar species with corrugated orange-yellow gills. According to Bessette, the spore print should be yellowish olive when fresh, drying to yellowish cinnamon, and the spores should be very small, 3-3.5 x 1.5-2 microns, smooth, and hyaline (transparent) to pale yellow in color.

Remember that the photos in the books are of ideal or perfect specimens. For many species you are unlikely to ever see a mushroom that looks exactly like the photo. Matching your mushroom to a photo can be an OK way to start identification, but you then need to match the rest of the description to the specimen. Too many beginners match photos to their specimens, think it looks OK, and eat them, then end up in the emergency room.

Actually, I would like to compliment you on your photos. They are some of the few posted which give enough information to make a reasonable guess as to the species of mushroom. They are in focus, and you even included the habitat. I assumed that the second photo showed the mushrooms as they were growing. Great job!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: Is it laughing? Pix/ID. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #734687 - 07/09/02 05:40 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #735971 - 07/10/02 07:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Those are not gyms.
This are laughing gyms i found, notice they have stem, and the color and texture of the cap is diferent than yours.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Anonymous

Re: Is it laughing? Pix/ID. [Re: MAIA]
    #736207 - 07/10/02 09:03 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #736615 - 07/10/02 11:19 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I find that all of the gyms I find even different species tend to smell kind of anise like, sort of like liqorice...it was only later that I read they are supposed to smell that way...it is pretty cool, last fall a friend and I would actually usually smell the Gyms before we found them...

Nice picture...cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Anonymous

Re: Is it laughing? Pix/ID. [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #736843 - 07/10/02 01:19 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #736859 - 07/10/02 01:25 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Cool...my Gyms usually blue a bit..or more like green really. But bright blue...sweet, gotta find me some of those this year.

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Anonymous

Re: Is it laughing? Pix/ID. [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #736957 - 07/10/02 02:15 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags