Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
ID: Pink/Orange Beastie
    #2980854 - 08/09/04 08:53 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I came across this rather large find yesterday growing on a dead log in a forest in Rhode Island, USA.  The larger of the two clusters is almost 30cm across.  The mushrooms are salmon pink to orange on top, and pure white underneath.  The flesh is pure white, very moist, and does not appear to bruise.  The fertile surface is most puzzling to me, because it is COMPLETELY smooth-- there is no evidence of either gill tissue or pores.  Obviously attempts at a spore print have produced nothing.  Nothing in my Lincoff field guide even comes close to matching this thing.  The closest match would be the chicken mushroom,  Laetiporus sulphureus.  In the Comments section Lincoff notes a variety ( semialbinus ) that has "a salmon-colored cap and white spores."  I wonder if he meant to say white PORES?  No picture is provided.

Where is the fertile tissue on this specimen?  Is this what the undersides of polypores look like when they are immature?  What do I have here folks?  (Please click on thumbnails to enlarge pics.)  :confused:

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: ID: Pink/Orange Beastie [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2981117 - 08/09/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hi Basidiocarp,,,,I too am from RI
I found a few of those this year..
I ID them as laetiporus cincinnatus...
A sub species of L. sulphurus.. some
have even started classifiying them as
there own species as the spores are unable
to mate with L. sulphureus...Nice speciemens!!!
They look young and supple... go ahead and cook em up..
with garlic butter and scallions or something.. I'm not a very good
cook.. "All I know is whatever you mix them with they take on",,I put
too mutch salt in mine. I enjoyed them, next time less salt...

I noticed a definite pore surface on my finds... try a magnifying glass...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #2981152 - 08/09/04 10:49 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ive never identified chicken of the woods but it looks alot like it... could be some form of coral fungi?!?! there should be little holes on the bottom, im sure if you put it white side down on a black piece of paper you would get spores... everything living has some way of reproduction, except trannys.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2986338 - 08/10/04 02:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

bleached out Laetiporus sulphureus [Chicken of the woods, sulphur shelf].

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: ID: Pink/Orange Beastie [Re: canid]
    #2986569 - 08/10/04 03:03 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

L. cincinnatus
l. cincinnatus" mushroom expert"..

With all respect I believe them to be
Laetiporus cincinnatus.... The links provided
should clear up any question.... Nofindum....

:thumbup: :thumbdown:

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID: Pink/Orange Beastie [Re: nofind_um]
    #2986657 - 08/10/04 03:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

this form is not speciated from L. sulphureus in my guides. it is called L sulphureus var. semialbinus [ as in somewhat albino, for the lack yellow pigmentation usualy characteristic of this species]. specimens of L sulphureus growing in full sun also tend to loose thier yellow pigment in age [hence the "bleached out" comment.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2986766 - 08/10/04 03:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I concur with L sulphureus var. semialbinus (not correctly named in my books either) or Laetiporus cincinnatus. Even sun bleached specimens of sulphureus have yellow fertile surfaces in my experience. The upper surface does indeed look like an older sulphureus, but the pure white underside gives it away...

I found the biggest cluster of sulphureus in my life while in the Smoky mountains. It was growing out of a hole in a tree, above my head. I could only reach the bottom specimen, and cloned it sitting at the table in the cabin I rented (open air). Both plates have taken... More on my vacation when I get the time to sort through all my pictures...

Abstract from Tom Volk's page:
However, with L. cincinnatus the whole fruiting body is usually edible and, I think, more delicious.

Now I want a culture of this one... Somebody find one for me... Please?
Hint, Hint....

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

#2986817 - 08/10/04 03:49 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Do you agree there is a species
L. cincinnatus????? If so do you
feel basidiocarps specimen
could possibly be considered
L. cincinnatus????

This is from Tom Volk's website..
Laetiporus cincinnatus (Morgan) Burdsall, Banik, & Volk has recently been recognized as a separate species from Laetiporus sulphureus (Fr.) Murr. (We accomplished this in a paper with this citation: Banik, Mark T., Harold H. Burdsall, Jr. and Thomas J. Volk. 1998. Identification of groups within Laetiporus sulphureus in the United States based on RFLP analysis of the nuclear ribosomal DNA. Folia Cryptogamica Estonia 33: 9-14). It has also been called Laetiporus sulphureus var. semialbinus (although that nomenclatural combination was never "legally" made). Laetiporus cincinnatus is the correct name in Laetiporus because "cincinnatus" is the earliest available epithet at the genus level, having been described by Morgan (a high school teacher near Cincinnati) in 1885 as Polyporus cincinnatus. Peck's description of Polyporus sulphureus var. semialbinus did not come until 1905. Thus, according to priority, Laetiporus cincinnatus is the correct combination. Isn't fungal nomenclature fun?

The first link provided is some good reading if anyone cares to find out about L. cincinnatus....

Either way cincinnatus or sulphureus var semialbinus I bet it all tastes like chicken...... get it chicken!!! I'm sure you do... Nofindum.....

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID: Pink/Orange Beastie [Re: nofind_um]
    #2986896 - 08/10/04 04:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i do not disagree about the speciation, as i have no information on it. normaly, the deficiency alone of one pigment in an organism would not warrant speciation, but they don't let me make those calls :smile:.

if L. sulphureus var. semialbinus and L. cincinnatus are synonyms then that is certainly Laetiporus cincinnatus as far as i can say from the information i have.

--------------------

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
    #2992738 - 08/11/04 06:58 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm definitely going with  L. cincinnatus.  My specimen is actually quite young, moist, and tender throughout, and was found in a very shaded location.  Thus I think we can rule out a "bleched" specimen of  L. sulphureus.

I cooked up three small fronds to taste tonight, and they were quite delicious:  Very much like chicken in tate and texture.  They also turned a beautiful shade of saffron red/orange when cooked, and imparted that color to the oil in the pan.  If I have no "swollen face" reactions tonight, then tomorrow I shall cook a real meal with them.    :beer:

I have one agar clone that appears to have taken;  I  hope it remains contaminate-free.  I think this would be one great species to cultivate!

Thanks for all of your input guys.  :thumbup:

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates