Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions?
    #7334287 -

Here's a good question for all of you. Is it dangerous to coast in neutral with your car on at high speeds? I heard that the pump disengages in neutral, because the driveline isn't supposed to be spinning, and then you can overheat and fry your transmission. It's all hydraulic.


I don't know if this is still true today, what do you all think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Maverick]
    #7334295 -

yah, im no expert on cars, but i can't imagine it'd be the best thing switching from neutral in a high gear when you're going fast. It probably wont do too much damage tho.


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: coda]
    #7334299 -

i'm hoping not. I just found out it's a bad idea to do, because originally I thought the pump would always stay flowing and would always keep the transmission cool. Now I don't know if it does or not. I just put 2000 into this damn car and bought a new transmission, I hope i didn't fry it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Maverick]
    #7334318 -

nah, it probably didn't hurt it too bad, it's just not something you should be doing repeatedly :wink:


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: coda]
    #7334324 -

It's mainly when I'm coasting down hills or on very flat straightways that have a tiny slope. I figure it's dumb to keep the engine revved at 2700RPM when if I put it in neutral it drops to around 900RPM. Supposedly it should save around 3x as much gas? But the transmission is worth a lot more...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Maverick]
    #7335870 -

nah man, you can't hurt anything popping it into neutral going down hills. As long as your tranny doesn't make hideous clunking noises when you jam it back into drive, you're straight. georgia overdrive baby!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Maverick]
    #7335878 -

automatic transmission eats bags of cock for breakfast followed by anice hot mug of faggotry to wash it down. Then takes a nice hot steamy golden shower with the excrement of starving european children.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: eastcoastremedy]
    #7335906 -

eastcoastremedy said:
nah man, you can't hurt anything popping it into neutral going down hills.




yeah, you can actually, just because it's not making noises doesnt mean it's not causing problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #7335921 -

It may not do much to the transmission, but doing it to save gas? Just wait till you have it in neutral and reach over to pick up a cd and knock it back into reverse or some stupid shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: gotyerback]
    #7335935 -

Your transmission is full of fluid at all times. If you can shift from 1-2-3 with an automatic, why would it hurt to shift out of nuetral?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: djcube]
    #7336141 -

DJCube, from what I understand, when you put it in neutral the your wheels aren't supposed to be moving, so the pump that circulates and sends the transmission fluid to its little radiator turns off, so the liquid isn't being cooled, but still being heated.

Also, every automatic transmission uses a hydraulic coupling to switch gears, it's totally different than a manual, heh.

Edited by DRTMaverick (08/26/07 12:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Maverick]
    #7336212 -

Yes i understand the difference between automatic and manual shifting, but you can "manually shift" an automatic through its low gears. And even if it did stop pumping through the cooler, its not going to over heat in the matter of seconds or even a couple of minutes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: djcube]
    #7336222 -

djcube said:
Your transmission is full of fluid at all times. If you can shift from 1-2-3 with an automatic, why would it hurt to shift out of nuetral?



because you've got an engine spinning at 900rpm driving the input shaft at the
same speed, everything else is stationary until you get to the rear of the trans
mission in which case the output shaft and drive shaft are moving at another
speed, maybe 200rpm... now pop that tranny back into drive abd guess what's
happening to the rest of the innards in between the shafts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #7336242 -

Well the coupling on the Torque Converter should keep all the freefloating gears somewhat moving in the transmission, the gears teeth are shaped in a way to allow the fluid to spin inside in a cyclonic fashion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Maverick]
    #7336447 -

DRTMaverick said:
DJCube, from what I understand, when you put it in neutral the your wheels aren't supposed to be moving, so the pump that circulates and sends the transmission fluid to its little radiator turns off, so the liquid isn't being cooled, but still being heated.

Also, every automatic transmission uses a hydraulic coupling to switch gears, it's totally different than a manual, heh.



Wrong wrong wrong. It doesn't hurt a damn thing to coast in neutral.

Also, if you aren't supposed to have the wheels moving when it's in neutral, then what the hell is neutral for? :confused:


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #7336474 -

See, that's what I'm trying to figure out if it's true or not. So the pump does still stay engaged as long as the engine is running?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Maverick]
    #7336484 -

Automatics eww.

I have a question sort of related to this thread; Sometimes when I change gear (manual ftw), particularly when I go down, my car makes a horrible crunching sound... I'm not really very knowledgeable about cars so I don't know what else to say =/

However, I know whatever it is, it isn't good.


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Cepheus]
    #7336504 -

It's the way you're engaging the clutch as you shift. Automatics FTW if you've got a touchscreen in your car...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: Maverick]
    #7336510 -

I can tell you that if you're thinking that deeply into this, you're probably better off driving a stick.

Edit: That's nonsense about the touchscreen. You can do all the same things with your hands driving a stick that you do when driving an automatic, once you get practiced at it. And I hope you're not looking at your screen during acceleration, whatever trans you use.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Edited by supercollider (08/26/07 02:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Neutral Coasting in Automatic Transmissions? [Re: supercollider]
    #7336529 -

I'm a pretty crazy driver, but it's more like I know where to touch without looking at the screen at all, so my hands are always on the screen, my other hand's always on the wheel, and my eyes bounce 90% road 10% screen.

Edit: also, manuals in cars you Don't race and have no desire to race just means more work while driving something you don't necessarily care to enjoy driving, you just use it to get places.

Edited by DRTMaverick (08/26/07 02:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Manual or Automatic
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
KilroyMilosevik 6,295 127 10/19/07 11:17 PM
by Crystal G
* First Day with Manual Transmission
( 1 2 all )
nanananotehead 2,571 32 12/19/04 08:57 PM
by HereFishyFishy
* Protect Network Nuetrality Boots 423 3 07/07/08 10:08 PM
by supra
* Stick shift or Automatic? exclusive58 2,359 17 03/26/05 12:49 PM
by California
* pack your bags and run, human to human bird flu transmission discovered! ZippoZM 1,792 12 05/23/06 08:04 PM
by THE KRAT BARON
* Manual or Automatic
( 1 2 all )
Ginseng1 2,135 28 02/19/06 08:10 PM
by TYL3R
* Transmission for Mac ezwider 636 7 03/23/10 07:53 PM
by sheldogg5
* Battle for 'Net neutrality' arrives in Canada and could forever alter Internet Psilocybeingzz 1,255 2 11/02/06 08:40 AM
by Psilocybeingzz

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,939 topic views. 2 members, 10 guests and 155 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.