Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Small town USA
    #7318793 -

I go back to my hometown sometimes but not very often though. It has about 5,000 people in the city limits and several rural municipalities on the outskirts. It is right in the middle of the Rust Belt. There used to be factories and corporations all over, but they are mostly gone. There is still an economy but not much of one. There isn't much there for a young person. The only people who stay there are people who get stuck there or who left and had to come crawling back. The people who stay end up usually falling into one of the following categories:

1. They become drug addicts or alcoholics.
2. They have kids way too early and way too often and usually get on public assistance.
3. They manage to eek out an existence with a $6-$8 an hour job.

All I hear from people there are stories of unplanned pregnancies, drug addiction, and going nowhere. It makes my stomach turn. I just get a sick feeling in my gut when I roll into this dying little town. I don't want to be there, there's nothing left for me there, and I'm glad that I'm gone.

I could never ever live there again.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7318853 -

Yah, I'm not settling for an area that has less than 100,000 people

I mean I could probably do the smalltown thing for about a month before I lost my mind (staying in Guerneville for a few days told me that much)


--------------------
There is no valid reason you should be reading this

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: Hyper_Panda_GO]
    #7318875 -

Every day I thank my mother for getting me the hell out of a similar location when I was 12/13-- we moved to a far cooler place, and I've only returned one time in 17 years-- for a thanksgiving at a relative's...

I won't go back until said relative needs a burial service...

Small-town USA is great as long as it's spoken of in the past-tense :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7318908 -

RandalFlagg said:
I go back to my hometown sometimes but not very often though. It has about 5,000 people in the city limits and several rural municipalities on the outskirts.



when I go back to my home town there's 5 million people, it started as an
agricultural area about 15 minutes out side of atlanta, then someone said
"cheap land here ->"and the building boom started, for a short 20 year stint
a county with about 10,000 people grew to around 350,000, it just merged with
atlanta. if it wasnt for stone mountain you wouldnt know where snellville ended
and atlanta began.

I moved to a place with about 700 people

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: coAsTal]
    #7318944 -

coAsTal said:
Small-town USA is great as long as it's spoken of in the past-tense :wink:




no one bothers me out here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #7318946 -

that tends to be the norm.

my hometown was divided. you wither went to college, you went to community college for a second chance (me), or you were a junkie in ur parents house.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #7319003 -

Prisoner#1 said:
no one bothers me out here



That's 'cause you're notorious

:bouncysmoke:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7319085 -

Sounds like almost all my friends from public school. I guess I ran with the wrong crowd when I was in public school.

I have a few (distant) friends who died from ODs or crime related activities. I have about 6 female friends that had kids before 19. A lot of my friend are serving time for drug offenses. One friend in particular was pulled over with about 3 kilos of cocaine in his trunk. I believe he's serving a 25+ year sentence. Shitty. The friends that didn't fuck up hardcore are now working in the food industry and spend all their money on pot and rent. What a fucking life to live!

I'm so glad my parents pulled me out of school and got me away from that crowd.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7319232 -

I'm stuck in a small town for another year. Slowly getting my life back on track. I fight just to stay alive. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7319321 -

hey brother if it makes you feel better im from a pretty big town and a large majority of my friends from there have gone down the exact same path.........


--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:


"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7319332 -

Small town is what I aspire to.

I want to spend my working life saving, living modestly, then retire to  a small town in America and live the rest of my life like a king. If inflation carries on like it is I will be a prosperous chappy :laugh:

If you moved to a small enough town you be able to have a tasty bud garden, a few acres of land, some animals etc.

I just want to be self sufficient and live off of the fat o' the land.

For me, being British, America still holds some hope of for filling that dream.


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: Cepheus]
    #7319507 -

my town has 2,00 people but i am moving in a year or two. i think the best condition is a small wilderness town near a big city ie. outside Seattle, Vancouver that way you can live your life in peace and than make your commute to suburbia for good drugs, a job, stuff like that.  sounds good to me:yesnod:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Small town USA [Re: Phish_Dude]
    #7319557 -

I grew up in a small town. Actually, to be technical, I grew up on a farm, a few miles outside of a small town. 800 people in my town. Nearest city with more than 15k people was at least a 2 hour drive away. Pretty rural.

We visited my aunt in Minneapolis sometimes, and I always thought the city was cool. I liked the lights, the tall buildings, all the people. When I decided to go to college, I picked a nearby city with a school I liked, and moved there.

I've lived in this city now for about 10 years, and I'm ready to get back out. Not that I can just yet, I'm stuck here for now, but I definitely see the benefits to small town living. I haven't forgotten the negatives though...

When everyone knows everyone, they start to get into each other's business. Small towns have lots of housewives, who like to gossip. Cops have nothing better to do but than watch people they suspect might be smoking pot, oh heaven forbid. The pool of available "mates" is severely limited. And last but not least, having to drive hours to get anywhere with decent shopping. And by that I mean, anything but a WalMart.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* infamous whacko from my home town
( 1 2 all )
Adom 1,326 32 02/28/06 06:09 AM
by RuNE
* Fucked up investment scheme happened in my old hometown RandalFlagg 274 0 08/13/05 11:13 AM
by RandalFlagg
* Miss Teen USA
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Liquidkick 6,925 94 08/09/05 07:15 PM
by RandalFlagg
* Canada/USA weed prices?
( 1 2 all )
kadakuda 4,241 20 02/29/08 01:08 AM
by rawrmushrooms
* Small Town Blues RandalFlagg 852 9 12/01/04 12:27 AM
by Real_Poopypants
* I'm jealous of RandalFlagg's ability to travel
( 1 2 all )
Adamist 3,708 22 07/04/05 03:05 PM
by HELLA_TIGHT
* I need randalflagg!
( 1 2 3 all )
Captain Loafy McPoopdick 5,110 50 09/24/05 12:11 AM
by Tranceharper
* Randalflagg vs. Bank Trust Fund Assholes
( 1 2 all )
RandalFlagg 3,228 35 10/05/05 08:53 PM
by RandalFlagg

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
811 topic views. 9 members, 34 guests and 184 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.