Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
wood chips
    #731295 - 07/08/02 12:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I just cannot get hardwood chips in this country, other than oak/hickory chips for the barbecue at ?4 a pound
A few Ps. cyanescens have been popping up in parks and gardens, over the past decade or more, growing in "decorative" bark mulch. I'm pretty sure this bark comes from softwoods, as the number of softwoods cut down these days is very small compared to softwoods, mostly spruce and pine. My guess is that only bark that has been weathering for a few years, getting the resins washed out by our overabundant rainfall, is what has been allowing psilocybes to colonise it, as they won't usually colonise softwoods.
So, I bought a 100 litre bag of chips today (almost breaking my back in the process) and have started a few experiments on colonising it straight from the bag, and after soaking in hot water for progressively longer times.
So far I've got one of straight from the bag chips, which smells very resiny, and I don't have much hopes for, but we'll see, and one of chips that were boiled in water+a tiny smidgeon of detergent to try and wash the resin out. The second one smelsl considerably less resiny but still appreciable.
I also have chips which will be soaking for 24h, the water being changed 2 or 3 times over the 24h, or maybe longer depending on how patient I can be
So, anyone have any experience of using softwood bark chips, or think I'll have any success?

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: wood chips [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #731335 - 07/08/02 12:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

A friend brought me a large bag of softwood shavings from where he works. It has some hardwood in it, but very little (maybe 10%) It seems to colonize fine, but not having tried staight hardwood shavings, I can't tell if it is as good.

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
    #731681 - 07/08/02 04:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Do you have Maple trees where you are? I went down the backlane yesterday looking for Maple seedlings. There are lots of homes that have let the maples grow wild behind their garage. I found that if you just bend the 1/4" branches to 45 degreees they will snap like a matchstick. I gathered huge armfulls in minutes, took them home and snapped them into 3" pieces. Even half dozen branches will snap at the same time. Now I have a very good pile of maple and maple leaves. Any time I have a few minutes to spare I can walk down the lane and gather Maple. By the end of the summer, I can have a huge woodpile for my P. cyanescens. I also found Aspen shavings and fine fir bark at the pet shop. Please read my postings under cyanescens update in the Grow Log section to find out how much they like the Aspen. It seems that people everywhere seem to have trouble finding the recommended wood. I have read postings that say anything will work except ceder. I have a feeling the problems are generated by the volatile oils not by whether the wood is hard or soft. One way to eliminate the oils is to boil the wood. I think this will help a lot. Volatile means that the oils will evaporate. Heat speeds evaporation. I have some pine chips in the garden that have been there for several years. They don't smell at all now and I feel they will be fine. I've been thinking of trying the pine, but Anno told me that Spruce would work fine. I hope you hauled the right bag home and got Spruce, not Pine. Unfortunately they don't use Spruce as mulch here, only Pine and Ceder. I know they will like the Maple because I spawned them on Sugar Maple sawdust and bran. I think the answer for me is going to be the Maple. Check out my Grow Log, there is a lot of information there.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

OfflineBuzzDoctor
Runs withscissors
Male

Loc: Atlantis
    #731720 - 07/08/02 04:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not really sure what the best chips are to fruit on, but wal mart carries cedar chips and pine shavings to be used for dog bedding. They come in big square blocks, haven't checked the prices. Any ideas on whether that may work or not? Seems like I've heard that alder chips are best, but I really don't know.

--------------------
Is the glass half-full or half-empty? I say it is both.

long standing member;)

Re: wood chips [Re: Orchidman]
    #731928 - 07/08/02 06:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

>Volatile means that the oils will evaporate.
tell me about it. My whole house smells like a plantation just now
>I hope you hauled the right bag home and got Spruce, not Pine.
no way of telling really, though from a few stray twigs I found I think it might be pine.....
>Check out my Grow Log, there is a lot of information there.
will do

--------------------
hmmm........

long standing member;)

Re: wood chips [Re: BuzzDoctor]
    #731935 - 07/08/02 06:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I tried wood shavings from a pet store with my nameko a while back.
don't know if they were pine or cadar, but I'm guessing not cedar.
didn't work, even though nameko is supposed to be one of the few edibles that'll tolerate softwoods.

--------------------
hmmm........

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #732576 - 07/08/02 10:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I grew P. azurescens on spruce bark outdoors.
Alos P. cyanescens and P. azurescens on spruce chips.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology