Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMycelium
THC Junkie
Male
using wheat straw
    #730468 - 07/08/02 04:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Does anybody know any teks that use wheat straw in them(besides a poo tek)? I just read somebody talking about using wheat straw with a 50/50 casing for larger flushes than casing with just plain vermiculite. anyway, if someone has a link it would be greatly appreciated.
Also, does anyone happen to know where I can get some wheat straw?

Edited by Mycelium (07/08/02 05:22 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMycelium
THC Junkie
Male
Re: using wheat straw [Re: Mycelium]
    #730602 - 07/08/02 06:47 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

bump

InvisibleTerrarium_Guy
Sensei

Loc: ...beyond the sun...
    #730605 - 07/08/02 06:50 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My friend is using wheat straw for the first time. He saw "OT's Starw Tek" at Mycotopia. Do a search for it. He found his straw at a local nursery. So far it is colonizing well, he is about to case it. The best part is, he used a post third flush casing as spawn!!!

Good luck!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #730664 - 07/08/02 07:24 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinesillvyr

Loc: under a tree
    #730677 - 07/08/02 07:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Bluhoney's tek for wheatstraw is awesome! it works great, and is really simple:
Make sure its wheatstraw
Cut into as small of pieces as you can ( 2inch lengths work best)
Put the chopped straw into a pillowcase(clean)
Put in a large pot and pasturize- usually bring it to the point of boiling but dont let it boil( otherwise find a candy thermometer and dont let the temp get above 180 F
Cook it for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.
Take out the wire rack in the oven and put over the sink.(clean it with alchohol)
Pull out your pillowcase full of wheat straw and put it on the rack to both drain and cool.
After it cools, break up your cake and in a growing pan place a thin layer of vermiculite on the bottom. Then put the pieces of your cake in it evenly covering the botom. Now cover with abouta 2 inch layer of the straw.
Put a piece of 3mil plastic over the straw/cake and press down lightly. ( before appling the plastic cover wash it with H2O2). Then take a fork and heat it over a flame until red hot and make tiny holes all over the plastic so the mycelia can breathe.
If you dont case it with peatmoss after you see the white growth on top of the straw, then make sure to keep the humidity at around 100 %. If you do case, then keep it at 80-90% humidity and lower slighty when pinning starts or else you'll get overlay.
* tips*
Adding a cup or two of manure to your water your pasturizeing with allows nitrogen to soak up into the other wise nitrogen defficient straw. Since straw consists of carbohydrates, adding manure gives it the nitrogen. Two very important ingrediants in mushroom growing.
Dont let the straw top layer dry out or you will only get fruits on the sides.
Its better to case, but with out is alright. A great casing to use is just peatmoss and a little bit of lime. Say for every 5 cups of peat moss add 1 cup of lime. Then wet it until you can only barely squeeze water out. Put in a pan and cover with aluminum foil tightly. Sterilize it in the oven for 1 1/2 hours on 325 degrees and let cool, then you have a nice low acidic casing layer.
One trick is to spray your casing layer indirectly until pinning starts. Then stop spraying when you see the first pin and rely on humidity from then on out. That way the casing has max moisture to fee the mycelia and expect large yeilds.
DoNot spray the casing once pinning starts, or it will kill or otherwise shrink your overall flush.
Dont put all your eggs in one basket either, MAke a few smaller shoebox size pans instead of one great big one.follow it exactly and you wil have good results

--------------------
The "Little Mushrooms" are but emisaries to the Overmind.....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation