Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger"
    #7275003 - 08/08/07 04:31 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I don't get how an oppressed people can reconcile legislating the abridgment of free speech.

--

DETROIT (Reuters) - Activist Rev. Al Sharpton organized rallies across the United States on Tuesday urging public divestment from the music industry until rap lyricists stop employing the "n-word" and terms degrading to women.

"We're talking about Viacom (Inc.), Time Warner (Inc.), Vivendi," three entertainment conglomerates that Sharpton said would be pressured to clean up their musicians' lyrics if threatened by the withdrawal of government-run pension fund investments.

"The opposition has tried to use the argument of free speech, but they don't have the freedom to use peoples' pension funds against their own will and interest," the 2004 presidential candidate said in a telephone interview from Detroit, where he deplored the use of "nigga," "bitch," and "ho," -- slang for whore -- in popular music.

"I'm here in Motown in Detroit as a symbol of when music was not denigrating and was entertaining," Sharpton said.

Pension funds don't act on such calls unless the state tells them to, because their mandate is to maximize returns, not make moral judgments, said Clark McKinley, a spokesman for the California Public Employees Retirement System, the biggest U.S. pension fund.

"We get all kinds of divestment calls and this is just the latest," McKinley said.

In Detroit, about 80 people joined Sharpton's protest despite rainy weather while in New York, about 150 braved heat, humidity and exhaust fumes to gather on the sidewalk outside Virgin Media Inc.'s flagship Times Square store.

"These young people are destroying the fabric of black history and black culture for a dollar," said M. Morton Hall at the New York protest, giving his age as "50-plus."

Tamu Favorite, a New York actress and playwright in her mid-thirties, wrote a play called "Ten Steps Backwards" to channel her anger at use of the "n-word."

"Our ancestors fought and marched so we wouldn't be called the N-word," she said, wearing a T-shirt she designed that read "Embracing the 'N' word is embracing slavery."

Legislation proposed in New York state calls for $3 billion in pension fund investments to be redirected away from music companies that distribute rap music with the offending lyrics, Sharpton said.

In February, the New York City Council passed a symbolic citywide ban on the "n-word" and in July, Councilwoman Darlene Mealy moved to extend the ban to "bitch" and "ho."

Sharpton was among the leading voices demanding talk show host Don Imus be fired for referring to black women basketball players as "nappy-headed hos," and to demand an apology from "Seinfeld" actor Michael Richards for his tirade at a comedy club where he repeated the "n-word."

"Nappy" is a slur describing the tightly curled hair of many African-Americans.

reuters.com

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: Diploid]
    #7275013 - 08/08/07 04:33 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

That nappy headed ho motherfucker needs to go get a real job and stop directing his people into ignorance.

He deserves to be shot in the head for politicizing the the term "nappy" and "ho" and claiming both are black. He's a waste of the publics energy and time and a virus to the black community. He needs to disappear.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Edited by StrandedVoyager (08/08/07 04:35 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7275020 - 08/08/07 04:36 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

What's wrong with saying "nigger"?

--------------------

InvisibleAfroshroomerican
Oprah's Minion
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7275036 - 08/08/07 04:42 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

StrandedVoyager said:
That nappy headed ho motherfucker needs to go get a real job and stop directing his people into ignorance.

I honestly laughed my ass off when I heard Don Imus say that. It was so immature and tactless that it was hysterical.

I do understand where Sharpton is coming from, however. I do not believe he's "advocating the abridgement of free speech," as this word has been used throughout US history to denigrate blacks. He is not going after whites; he's going after those who make the use of the word permissible--blacks themselves.

The defense people use when they are using the word in a racist connotation (and some people do)--is that blacks use it themselves. No other minority group refers to themselves using racial epithets as much as black people.

And how can ANYONE deny gangsta rap's negative influence? Blacks were once connected to blues, jazz, rock and roll, soul--but now people equate black music with "gangsta rap".

--------------------
"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

<passitbobbie> if I just showed you a closeup of my ass
<passitbobbie> youd think it was female

"You owe errrbody up in here an apology fow youwe shit, HO!" - classic

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: Afroshroomerican]
    #7275053 - 08/08/07 04:50 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I do not believe he's "advocating the abridgement of free speech,"

He's trying to get government pension funds to divest from record labels that sign artist who say 'nigger' in their songs. That's contrary to everything First Amendment and a black guy of all people should know better.

as this word has been used throughout US history to denigrate blacks.

It's a denigrating word that black people have defiantly taken as their own. It's a symbolic way to spit at white supremacists and their ilk by taking a word that used be an insult and changing its very meaning.

Clearly this concept is way over the heads of drooling morons like Sharpton.

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#7275077 - 08/08/07 05:01 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

And if you'll recall, blues, jazz, and rock and roll were all demonized in their time. Rap is no different. People get all high and mighty about lyrics but in reality, music has little to no negative impact.

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7275082 - 08/08/07 05:04 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Sharpton is such a douche. Did anybody ever see the video of him trying to broker a cocaine deal and he was wearing this ridiculous hat?

Oprah's Minion
Male

#7275084 - 08/08/07 05:05 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

as this word has been used throughout US history to denigrate blacks.

It's a denigrating word that black people have defiantly taken as their own. It's a symbolic way to spit at white supremacists and their ilk by taking a word that used be an insult and changing its very meaning.
Clearly this concept is way over the heads of drooling morons like Sharpton.

The problem lies within ignorance--most don't understand how degrading this word is. No other culture employs this technique of using a derragatory word and precipitously lessening it's power.

None of these groups have employed this "technique" at large. You may find some comedians who do; however, it is not as prominent in their music and everyday lives:

Asians do not refer to themselves as "Gooks" and it is not colloquial.
Jews do not refer to themselves as Kikes.
Most Hispanics do not refer to themselves as Spics or wetbacks.
Italians don't enjoy the word Wop--I've seen them react :-)

Speaking from experience; I was held by my shirt and called a "dirty rotten nigger," by a acquaintance at college. He responded by saying "Well I come from a very racist background. there are no blacks where I live and the KKK passes out flyers weekly--plus that Dave Chappell guy says it so I figured it was ok with u all now."

Yeah....and don't even say he's the only one with these perceptions.

--------------------

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

#7275177 - 08/08/07 05:42 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe the reason black people get so mad at being called a nigger is that they don't want to be reminded of being black. Even the word black has become politically incorrect.

negro is Spanish for black
nigrum is Latin for black

Acer nigrum = black maple
Piper nigrum = Black Pepper
Allium nigrum = Black Garlic
Solanum nigrum = Black Nightshade
albus nigrum = white nigger
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=albus

Quote:

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Hi, well I don´t know why the previous answerer only translated the opossite tranlation and gave the meaning:

let nothing be said of the blacks but what is bad

and nigris here is the plural nominative of niger, nigra, nigrum that in latin referrs to the color black, the adjective black which could also mean bad, dark, gloomy or it also meant death like in nigromant .

During Roman times and greek times they used either the word Aethiops, opis, which in Latin meant negro, that came from the greek Aithiops or literally "burnt-face". Much later in history when the Europeans discovered the river Niger, which the people living there had of course discovered much earlier, they used the word niger, to refer also to the people living on the banks of the niger river.

So black person in latin is Aethiops
Since the nominative plural of Aethiops is Aethiopês your sentence should be:

De Aethiopês nil nisi bonum dicendum est

or

let nothing be said of the blacks (negroes) but what is good

and the opposite

De Aethiopês nil nisi malum dicendum est

or

let nothing be said of the blacks (negroes) but what is bad

Anyway, these are the two sentences you asked for

Hope it helps
S

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070531190219AAB4PFo

Edited by Luddite (08/08/07 05:45 PM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: Luddite]
    #7275200 - 08/08/07 05:46 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Well, the way I see it, it takes two to tango. One guy to speak the insult, and another guy to cooperate by becoming offended.

You can get upset over what someone else said, but why would you give another person that power over you? It makes no sense.

--------------------
Republican Values:

Oprah's Minion
Male

Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: Luddite]
    #7275284 - 08/08/07 06:07 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Luddite said:
Maybe the reason black people get so mad at being called a nigger is that they don't want to be reminded of being black.  Even the word black has become politically incorrect.

negro is Spanish for black
nigrum is Latin for black

Acer nigrum = black maple
Piper nigrum = Black Pepper
Allium nigrum = Black Garlic
Solanum nigrum = Black Nightshade
albus nigrum = white nigger
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=albus

Quote:

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Hi, well I don´t know why the previous answerer only translated the opossite tranlation and gave the meaning:

let nothing be said of the blacks but what is bad

and nigris here is the plural nominative of niger, nigra, nigrum that in latin referrs to the color black, the adjective black which could also mean bad, dark, gloomy or it also meant death like in nigromant .

During Roman times and greek times they used either the word Aethiops, opis, which in Latin meant negro, that came from the greek Aithiops or literally "burnt-face". Much later in history when the Europeans discovered the river Niger, which the people living there had of course discovered much earlier, they used the word niger, to refer also to the people living on the banks of the niger river.

So black person in latin is Aethiops
Since the nominative plural of Aethiops is Aethiopês your sentence should be:

De Aethiopês nil nisi bonum dicendum est

or

let nothing be said of the blacks (negroes) but what is good

and the opposite

De Aethiopês nil nisi malum dicendum est

or

let nothing be said of the blacks (negroes) but what is bad

Anyway, these are the two sentences you asked for

Hope it helps
S

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070531190219AAB4PFo

Um no.

Look at my name, foo lol.  <3 blackness ty

Anyway

If anything the people who use these words flippantly have a problem with being black. 

Most of these comedians and rap artists who use the N word and vilify black culture are usually married to white women--not just any white woman--the whitest Scandinavian looking chick they can find.  Most of whom aren't even "hot" by white standards. 

Those blacks who purport positive aspects of black culture: Samuel L. Jackson, Will Smith (and OMFG is jada gorgeous), Denzel Washington, Al Sharpton -- are married to black women.  But the media doesn't focus on them.  In fact most of powerful black hollywood are black couples--except those that call their women "ho's" and "bitches"

Now hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

There has to be some correlation between refusing to date your own people and constantly chiding your people.

I know PROUD PROUD Italians and Asians who would definately react  to being called a Wop or Chink/Gook respectively. 

But they're making money--a negro's gotta eat I suppose. 
( I say negro all the time--it isn't degrading :froman::froman:)

--------------------

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#7275294 - 08/08/07 06:09 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I use "Negro" myself. The liberals hate it to distraction.

--------------------

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: zappaisgod]
    #7275425 - 08/08/07 06:34 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

pressured to clean up their musicians' lyrics

ha, well at least they are open about it now - record companies own the musicians, and tell them what to write and sing about.

Al Sharpton vs all of rap music: I don't think his odds are very good.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: zappaisgod]
    #7275661 - 08/08/07 07:44 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I use "Negro" myself. The liberals hate it to distraction.

Negro please

--------------------

LAGM2024

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#7277837 - 08/09/07 12:35 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Afroshroomerican said:
The problem lies within ignorance--most don't understand how degrading this word is. No other culture employs this technique of using a derragatory word and precipitously lessening it's power.

About the "no other culture employs this technique" I think you need to rent the "Blue Collar Commedy Tour" and then come back and tell me whether or not other cultures attempt to adopt terms of denigration and wear them with pride. It goes beyond the commedians too. Head down south someday and see how much "Red Neck Pride" you come across.

Quote:

Afroshroomerican said:
Speaking from experience; I was held by my shirt and called a "dirty rotten nigger," by a acquaintance at college. He responded by saying "Well I come from a very racist background. there are no blacks where I live and the KKK passes out flyers weekly--plus that Dave Chappell guy says it so I figured it was ok with u all now."

Yeah....and don't even say he's the only one with these perceptions.

It's funny, I went to college on the South side of Chicago and I can't even recall how many times I was called a "cracker". Probably two to three times a week, mostly by complete strangers when I refused to give them handouts (true story, I wish I was joking or exagerating, but I'm not).

Dave Chappell also says cracker frequently. Would I have stopped being called a cracker if Dave Chappell stopped using the word? Or is popular media once again being falsely blamed for a problem that would persist anyway?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: Economist]
    #7277870 - 08/09/07 12:49 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

About the "no other culture employs this technique" I think you need to rent the "Blue Collar Commedy Tour" and then come back and tell me whether or not other cultures attempt to adopt terms of denigration and wear them with pride.

My gay friends all call each other fag, and queer, and worse all the time. They crack me up (no pun intended, heh).

--------------------
Republican Values:

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#7278584 - 08/09/07 05:03 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I call my fellow Irish friends mick, hell, I even call my black friends nigga and nigger. Language is all about meaning, if the meaning is not maliscious then the word is not maliscious

--------------------

LAGM2024

OfflineThe Crow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: giving birth
Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #7279837 - 08/09/07 11:31 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I never considered "nappy" a racial slur.

I'm not trying to be funny when I say this, but over 90% of the Black people I have met, I have met when I was in jail (as well as juvie, a few years ago)

I'm very surprised at this "news" that nappy is a racial slur. It was used VERY commonly by Blacks that I knew to describe other Blacks' hair texture. It was mildly offensive, but only because it implied the person who has "nappy" hair is not well-groomed.
Usually it meant that they needed to pick or wash their hair.

Or when it tangles up, especially with people who have an afro. When it became messed up in little knots accidently, it was reffered to as "nappy" by other people as well as the person with nappy hair themself.

Here is UrbanDictionary's definition:

1. nappy
407 up, 220 down

one of African desent who has tightly coiled unkept hair; one with locks of hair that is tightly curled that is unwashed and uncombed

Sholanda has such nappy hair you can see her buckshots even after she gets a perm.
by K-izzle Earth May 2, 2005 email it
permalink: del.icio.us
Send to a friend
your email:
their email:
send me the word of the day (it's free)

2. nappy
280 up, 116 down

Tightly coiled / curled unaltered hair. Coiled hair in its natural state

as found on people of African descent who do not chemically alter their hair texture.

See? Just because it is applied to a certain race, does not mean it is derogatory against that race.

IMO "nappy-headed hoe" is offensive and degrading to women, not African-Americans.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Sharpton Upset Over The Word "Nigger" [Re: The Crow]
    #7281324 - 08/10/07 12:19 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

No, it is offensive and degrading to garden tools.

--------------------

Invisibleelbisivni
    #7281969 - 08/10/07 04:13 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Afroshroomerican said:
Asians do not refer to themselves as "Gooks" and it is not colloquial.
Jews do not refer to themselves as Kikes.
Most Hispanics do not refer to themselves as Spics or wetbacks.
Italians don't enjoy the word Wop--I've seen them react :-)

oddly enough, I have known at least 1 person of each of these ethnicities who referred to themselves comically with these words..and many more.

my favorite though was what my old roommate (half Jewish, half Italian) used to call himself - pizza bagel :rofl:

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates