Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCham
harro.

Smashin yer popcorn... reduces colonization time?
    #7270259 - 08/07/07 01:08 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

After soaking and simmering the popcorn I took a sterilized meat tenderizer and worked my way around the pot like churning butter. This caused all the popcorn shells to split open and some of the yeasty inside to be exposed. I knocked up four quart jars with 5cc's of honey LC maybe 3-4 days ago and three of them are almost 80% colonized.

I read a tek on using cracked corn, so I figure it has to be the same kinda idea. Maybe it's just the LC, or the fact that I used 5CC's, but it does seem to have sped up the process some.

Input appreciated€

--------------------
Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steaks and leather.

Edited by Cham (08/07/07 01:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Smashin yer popcorn... reduces colonization time? [Re: Cham]
    #7270298 - 08/07/07 01:17 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

surprising results...

pictures?

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleCham
harro.

Re: Smashin yer popcorn... reduces colonization time? [Re: Roadkill]
    #7270309 - 08/07/07 01:21 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'll try and find some batteries for my camera, heh

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#7270822 - 08/07/07 03:40 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

80% colonization in 4 days,I hope its not mold:confused:

InvisibleCham
harro.

Re: Smashin yer popcorn... reduces colonization time? [Re: Blutjager]
    #7272914 - 08/08/07 01:27 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

it by no means has that marshmallowy white appearance. I'm still fairly new at this, but I'm 99% certain it isn't mold (atleast no molds I've experienced yet) Perhaps I just shook the jar better than I have in the past, had a properly loaded LC... I dunno. It was just an idea I wanted to discuss with some old hands:confused: maybe pics tomorrow... too much old Milwaukee to break the camera out.

--------------------

Edited by Cham (08/08/07 01:28 AM)

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#7273041 - 08/08/07 02:26 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Never used popcorn but I have seen scores of people taking about it here,its one of those "I love it" or "I hate it" kinda situation

I have used cracked corn and my results were mediocre at best,it may work but it doesn't beat rye or wbs

InvisibleCham
harro.

Re: Smashin yer popcorn... reduces colonization time? [Re: Blutjager]
    #7273658 - 08/08/07 09:15 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

checked it again today and the speed is incredible. correction: it's been six days since they were knocked up.

I haven't had any issues with popcorn so far. It's cheap and easy, just the way I like it.

--------------------

Offlineaberrant
Stranger

#7273793 - 08/08/07 09:58 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I used popcorn recently as spawn to bulk h.poo/straw. I found no problems with using cracked/split kernels and the opinion on the shroomery is about 50/50 (Starch is bad, don't split them vs. The mycelium likes to get into the grain for nutrition, etc. [I don't really know, seems like a lot of opinion flying around and not a lot of hard evidence]).
Also, just some general notes - the colonization seems quick at first but you need to leave them for a long while (you'll notice when you shake the jars that they're not even close, though you first thought they were ready to spawn to substrate or case). Another problem is that the grain tends to dry out by the time it should be good to go (depending on your lid choice - tyvek,polyfill,just metal). You can try putting them in a sterile humid environment with the lids slightly opened when this happens (perlite fruiting chamber with the heat cranked up to 82ish is perfect and you'll see nice thick growth you'd otherwise never see on popcorn). Finally, wait until the grain starts to clump a bit, then leave it a couple more days after that. I wouldn't suggest casing popcorn directly though, it is a great spawn however.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale