Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Simple question about coco coir....
    #701848 - 06/25/02 08:12 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey everyone...
I live in NZ so some stuff for shroom growin is a bit harder to come by than in the states. To clarify, is coco coir the fibery type stuff they put in like the bottom of hanging baskets? Kinda like a door mat? Cause that is all I am able to find, and it is in large fibres, not shredded like some people say. Is this the wrong stuff? It seems like it'd be hard for the shrooms to grow through. Do you tear/ chop it up?
Also, I saw some sphagnum moss. Does this work good? Any casing advice would be appreciated. Casings are much, much, much more vauge than cakes as far as documentation, so its hard to get a grasp of it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Simple question about coco coir.... [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #701862 - 06/25/02 08:19 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

>is coco coir the fibery type stuff they put in like the bottom of hanging baskets?
No, you are talking about coco fibre.

>Also, I saw some sphagnum moss. Does this work good?
Well, peat moss would be what you want to use. Sometimes it?s referreda sphagnum moss too.

Offlinedi11rod

i think this will help [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #701868 - 06/25/02 08:22 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Ok. I have never been to your country. It is an amazing place with a lot of things going on, from what I have heard. That whole tazmania tiger story is very sad.

as for your situation, specifically... coco coir is found at pet shops like we have in america called 'pet smart'. Other than stocking coco coir, these stores are sucky chain stores. I never buy anything there if I can get it from a local store. but they do stock coco coir. It is described as a bedding material for reptiles. It is made from the shell of coconuts. It is packaged as a brick.

I don't think spagnum moss is a good casing material. Peat moss would probably be better.

good luck.

di11rod

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: i think this will help [Re: di11rod]
    #702067 - 06/26/02 12:01 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I found some stuff at Mitre 10, it's a brick of "Palm Peat" which apparently comes from coconut palms.. so I'd assume it's good for casing, though I've never tried it. This stuff is rock solid, you soak the brick in 5 litres of water and end up with 8-9 litres of palm peat, or you can saw a piece off instead of using the whole thing. "pH Range 5.4-6.8". Does this sound like the right stuff? Oh, it cost $3.50

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#702070 - 06/26/02 12:03 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

What tazmania tiger story? no tigers around here...

You'd never find coco coir in a petstore in new zealand, people don't keep reptiles here.

OfflineL3D
enthusiast
Re: i think this will help [Re: zeta]
    #702156 - 06/26/02 02:46 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

i belive petsmart is online you may be able to order it from there or another online pet store.

L3D

OfflineWOmbdAbblER
enthusiast

Loc: IL
Re: i think this will help [Re: L3D]
    #702219 - 06/26/02 04:37 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Offlinedi11rod

Re: i think this will help [Re: zeta]
    #702429 - 06/26/02 06:42 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You are right. There are no more tazmanian tigers around there. The last one died in the Hobart zoo in 1936. It was really a marsupial wolf. Looked like the kind of animal a child would design. Settlers in tasmania complained about them eating their chickens and sheep, so the govt. put a bounty on the animal. This was quite effective at causing the extinction of this animal.

di11rod

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#703062 - 06/26/02 03:18 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

interesting.. but tasmania has nothing to do with new zealand.

bed-a-beast looks and sounds exactly like Palm Peat you can get from Mitra 10 for $3.50. I take it you have to soak Bed-a-Beast in water to get it to expand?

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Re: Simple question about coco coir.... [Re: Anno]
    #703091 - 06/26/02 03:28 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

>>is coco coir the fibery type stuff they put in like the bottom of hanging baskets?
>No, you are talking about coco fibre.

I was under the impression coco coir actually *meant* coco fiber!

Yes, the stuff you put in hanging baskets is coco coir. It's just not the compressed brick form. However, you might need to chop it up a bit as it's longer strands. But, if it's all you can find, get to it with a pair of garden scissors!

Do be wary of the rubberized coir liners, though!

-psyconaut

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #703099 - 06/26/02 03:30 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

mmm... Tis true that the tasmanian tiger is no more - although they were never in New Zealand - tasmania is part of Australia and not NZ. ANd there are many who still believe that the tiger lives in isolated pockets of temperate rain forest in Tasmania.
coco peat or cococoir is sold at hydroponic stores and garden supplies and its great to use -

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order