Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: Canada
On general hunting..
    #700686 - 06/25/02 03:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

When I read mjshroomer's site it seemed like mushroom hunting was pretty simple and goes as follows:
=Run around like crazy looking for mushrooms,
=Put caps on white paper and check the colour
=Check for bluing

And if the spore prints were brownish something or black, and the stems or cap bruised indeed, it's a magic shroom..

Is this true? I do plan to actually obtain more information on mushrooms before i go hunting, but is this the minimum that somebody needs to put into it? Now that I have a digital camera i can take pictures when i find them and when they've blued, plus the spore prints; so i'll be able to review them later.

I've also heard that some poison mushrooms blue, but this was probably because the source considered magic shrooms poison. Are there really magic mushroom look-a-likes that blue or is that only because of the chemical whose name i cannot spell (pysilocybin..?). And of those possibly existing poison mushrooms, what colour are their sporeprints.?

One last thing, do you take the spore prints in the field or back at home... in the field seems very inconvenient.

I plan to help my mycology skills by identifying every mushroom i find with books and the internet, so eventually i can do the field work by eye, and only take what should be good home..

Thanks, another newbie. [but one who is researching! just finding conflicting answers]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: PA
Re: On general hunting.. [Re: jjhlk]
    #700808 - 06/25/02 03:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

There are a few basic features that will tell you if it is an active species:

1. They must be gilled mushrooms, meaning that the tissue that releases the spores radiates from the center of the stalk in distinct lines. If it is spongy, and it blues, it's likely boletus.

2. They must have purplish\black or black spore prints.

3. They must stain blue. (not all active species do, but this feature limits the thousands of species possible down to only several hundred, increasing the safety margin)

After those features are narrowed down, the other features really only serve to distinguish the active species. So if you see all of those traits, it should be active. Another mushroom that I can think of that has a strong bluing reaction is a species of boletus, which is said to cause pretty bad stomach discomfort but is extremely easy to identify.

- Jason

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification