Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejdtwelve
Loc: Central MI
PF jars with Perlite!!! SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!
    #690221 - 06/20/02 09:49 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I tried several jars using Perlite AND vermiculite (normal PF style, brown rice) and observed some MAJOR positive differences in several things....

I used the original PF formula, except I substituted half of the vermiculite with perlite. When I broke up the cakes for casing, I noticed that the erlite- enhanced cakes were harder to break apart, and therefore the mycelium was a lot stronger. They also colonized faster that the regular control jars, but only slightly. Maybe 3 days faster on average. When I cased the cakes (8 inch aluminum pie tins,1/2 inch perlite layer, 1/4 inch peroxide, crumbled cakes to cover surface, cased with sterilized wet verm, covered with saran wrap with poked holes, set in incubation chamber for a few days until ready to initiate pinning) the perlite enhanced cakes pinned much faster AND much more evenly. I will post some pictures as soon as I can get access to a camera/scanner. Haven't got any fruits yet, but pins are very even and I can't wait to get some fruits. I will post updates as they come. I highly reccomend this method so far. Oh yeah, and zero infection as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: PF jars with Perlite!!! SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!! *DELETED* [Re: jdtwelve]
    #690226 - 06/20/02 09:52 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by phrozendata

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflineGaNjAShRooM
===SPUN===

Loc: Southern United States
Re: PF jars with Perlite!!! SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: phrozendata]
    #691745 - 06/21/02 02:51 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

That sounds great. I'de just like to point out that perlite-PF cakes would probably have to be cased or else the cakes would loose moisture real fast, no?

the fruiting stage is where your great results will take a downfall

colonzation of jars is easy-i have used baby ceral(rice)for christs sake

but that dies not mean they will fruit,and if they do,the potency will not be that great

--------------------
Cultivation Laws Of America Suck

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF jars with Perlite!!! SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: GaNjAShRooM]
    #692202 - 06/21/02 08:31 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

while I hear you on the fruitability issue, I think we can say with absolute certainty that neither the presence nor absence of vermiculite or perlite will affect potency in any way. Neither substance affects potency, that much I'm sure of.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinejdtwelve
Re: PF jars with Perlite!!! SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: jdtwelve]
    #692571 - 06/21/02 11:54 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I innoculated with a syringe, (Hawk's Thailand Koh Samui) on two sides of the jar.

I am getting even pinning on all of these casings. One of them has just sprouted it's first few (about 1 CM tall now) I will post pictures soon.

there is not a noticable difference in the amount of water that the casing will hold. Perlite and Vermiculite have nothing to do with the potency, they are completely benign.

Is there a reason that you say I will notice a difference in fruiting? It looks as though everything is fine right now, I am just wondering what the basis for you saying that the fruiting will be affected in some way is. I am considering doing many more jars this way.

My theory is that Perlite helps to transfer water throughout the substrate better, and allows for small pockets of quasi-air (since perlite is mostly empty space) in the cakes. That was, the water content of the actual substrate is focused more where it's needed, in the mycelium and the nutrious substrate (in this case Brown Rice Flour)

I will definitely be updating as fruiting begins. I also plan on testing potency on both kinds (perlite and non perlite) as soon as it is feasible.

-JD

Offlinejdtwelve
Re: PF jars with Perlite!!! UPDATE [Re: jdtwelve]
    #717661 - 07/02/02 08:52 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Here's some updates-

The perlite casings, as expected, appear to be more dry than the regular casings. However, they are continuously flushing. I have gotten more yields and more even pins from these casings than all of the other ones. to compensate for the humidity loss, I ave been putting water back into the perlite under the casing cakes with great results. there is a convenient space created by the pulling away from the sides that makes adding moisture a piece of cake.

I can't find anyone with a digital camera, but I am trying. i have more casings on the way as well and am going to make it a higher priority in the coming days because I really think I have something here.

Potency has not been affected at all.. 8 people (including me) split 7 grams and had a very nice level 1 experience. I will personally be using this new perlite cake method on all of my new cakes because it seems to speed things up a lot, and the yields are definitely better and flushes faster. I would be very interested in seeing if anyone else has tried this experiment. I am very excited about it.

Any volunteers?

Offlineatoning_unifex
bovine entity

Re: PF jars with Perlite!!! UPDATE [Re: jdtwelve]
    #718655 - 07/02/02 06:28 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

this sounds like a good idea... ive got 100 lir\tres of perlite im not using i might have to try this next batch...

--------------------
" time is a drug.... too much will kill you"

......Ballad of Atoning Unifex.....

At the age of 30 something
he realised
he'd never ride
through london
in a black cab
with weird drugs
in his veins......

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures