Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool(wow ...such a cool tone, such magical sounds)
    #6820362 -

EDIT:


So I recorded this at the pot rally.......


And ever since then I've been trying to figure out what that instrument is, now I know.
Someone at the shroomery told me it's a hang drum, and they're right. Now I want one, oh so very badly. :grin:

Now I need to know where to buy a good one. There is more to this "simple" instrument then I thought.
And it's a fascinating instrument.


It's pretty new. It was created in only 2000! ohmy.gif

And I assumed it was middle eastern.
But it was created in Switzerland!

Quote:
The Hang Drum

Created in 2000, the Hang (pronounced "hung") is one of the younger musical instruments. It comes from Bern, Switzerland, and was created by Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer OF THE PANArt Company. It was the result of many years of research on the steel pan and many other resonating percussion instruments from around the world: Gong, Gamelan, Ghatam, drums, cowbells, MUSICAL Saw...

There are many Hang models with various MODES proposed by PANArt. However, since each Hang is tuned individually, you are encouraged - if so inspired - to design your own "tone circle". Thus you participate in the creation of an instrument that best meets your own creative needs. The PANArt firm through its various regional representatives can help you in this project.

In the Bernese language, Hang refers to the human hand, as in "hand-drum." This percussion instrument is comprised of two metal hemispheres bonded together: the DING side and the GU side.
The DING side CONTAINS 8 tone fields which together form the "tone circle" (scale or mode). This circle surrounds a central dome, called the DING (which sounds like a Gong).
On the GU side, there is a hand size hole (called the GU) for sound resonance. The GU can be played like an udu, or used to modulate the sound of the DING.

There are many ways to invite the Hang to sound: with fingertips, thumbs, and the heel of the palm - and a mix of all three. Most of the time, the Hang sits on the player's knees, but you also could play it on a drum stand. Players can let their hands and their feelings discover how to play. Indeed, there are no rules for playing except one: the joy of music!

The Hang makes friends quickly. In my experience, people remember it as a fantastic instrument with a fabulous tone from the first time they encounter it, and musicians are intrigued by it as soon as they touch it. The Hang is on its way to centre stage.





http://www.hang-music.com/videos.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V352Rj_eRQ4
[url=
youtube.com/watch?v=T8OD-Bp1fEg&mode=related&search=[/url]
WOW! :smirk: Ok, you try and tell me this shit isn't cool.
[url=
youtube.com/watch?v=_Az-F9hTtjI&mode=related&search=[/url]
[url=
youtube.com/watch?v=2eKfSyytW6Q&mode=related&search=[/url]
[url=
youtube.com/watch?v=2GaK4S36bYU&mode=related&search=[/url]

[url=
youtube.com/watch?v=RjIW_lByX2Y&mode=related&search=[/url]

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (12/19/09 03:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6820373 -

:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6820387 -

anyone know what instrument he's playing?


--------------------
_______________________________________________________________
namaste said:
no flamz in da ODD, if you got nothing to contribute then keep yo lips zipped
_________________________________________________________________

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6820388 -

Because it's an Indian making a fool of himself, trying to play music with a trashcan lid?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: psiclops]
    #6820394 -

psiclops said:
Because it's an Indian making a fool of himself, trying to play music with a trashcan lid?



You are an idiot...


Its a WOK turned upside down!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: Noviseer]
    #6820454 -

I'm still trying to find out.

As the pot rally was winding down, I was looking for a sunny spot to smoke another solar bowl. So I went to the back of the art gallery where the pot rally was thinner, and there was more room to sit,...and I found this guy. Playing some amazing music. You should have seen the stuff I didn't record. :tripping:

I even jammed with him for a few minutes before I left. It was fun. :thumbup:
I played some simple trippy 3 part song, with just these simple droning rifts, and he laid something overtop of it. Even with a few mistakes on my part it was pretty neat.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
And to the fool that spoke of an empty trash can lid, you are a fool. And you must be both deaf and blind, because all I see is a man good at what he does, and some great music.

I would love to have an instrument like that. The audio on my digi cam doesn't do this guy justice. And I wish my video camera wasn't dead when I recorded this.... but still, even with the poot quality audio. This guy's talent shines through.

You have piss poor taste if you really think it's that bad.

And I love how you point out he's an Indian.
Really, he is???

Ya leik OMG dudez, he's and Indian!! we only seen 2 of those before! :flowstone:

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (04/22/07 07:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6820471 -

Seriously what is that though? That's not a steel drum is it?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6820472 -

That's what he does? He just sits on the steps and bangs on that trashcan lid? WFT? The guy is obviously an attention whore. Look at him. Try watching that video more than once.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: psiclops]
    #6820493 -

This kid "plays so good".... great music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14Ag2oyJAs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6820502 -

Thats pretty fuckin awesome. Now I wish I knew what kinda instrument that is so i can go on ebay and buy one...


--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: GreenScreen]
    #6820506 -

It sounds similar but I like the sound of this better. And it has a different sound, IMO, a better one. I've heard steel drums before. Though I'm no expert.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And to Psilame, seriously man, if it's that bad just go away. Jesus Christ. Your comments don't even make sense. Attention whore? the guy showed up at the pot rally. And I found him around back, where there was no free pot, or prizes being handed out, just trying to relax with his friends and play music.

Try watching the video more the twice???? I've heard it about 20 times since I recorded it. He's talented. Those are beautiful sounds and rhythms. Maybe not the radio fare you are used to, but beautiful none the less.

You're being a :flowstone:
The least you could do is be funny. JeBus.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: HighTek]
    #6820509 -

Hey, I thought it was badass.  I'm all into steel-drum sounding music.  I love it. :smile:


--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: psiclops]
    #6820510 -

:bitchplease:    :popcorn:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: GreenScreen]
    #6820516 -

it's the same principle... i would say it's a kind of steel drum... it looks like a ufo and you play the lid where it has the same kinds of concavities a steel drum has... the bottom part is the same size, but has a hole in the middle where the sound comes out...

i have actually played on one of those... wish i'd had the mind to ask the guy the name of the instrument...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6820522 -

Psilocybeingzz said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S3nu-anXnCI
And can anyone show me how to embed it???

PLEASE? :grin:



All you have to do is click the "f" icon and post the link--and as soon as you click one of the width/height boxes the numbers will automatically appear.


Paste the URL and just click "OK"


--------------------
HOW'S MY POSTING? CLICK HERE

Edited by JunkFood (04/22/07 07:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: JunkFood]
    #6820535 -

looks like 2 steel drums welded together inside out. nifty idea he shouldve used some sticks though

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: In(di)go]
    #6820537 -

Awesome. We are getting close to a name. someone told me they searched the internet, even WiKi! :tongue: and they couldn't find the name. But they've seen it before.

Also, didn't you say you saw one before? :smile:
Not that I posted the same thing in another thread or anything :ninja:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: GreenScreen]
    #6820542 -

Looks like a wok to me. He goes home after his concert and stir fries dinner in it. :tongue:


--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: JunkFood]
    #6820560 -

JunkFood said:
Psilocybeingzz said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S3nu-anXnCI
And can anyone show me how to embed it???

PLEASE? :grin:



All you have to do is click the "f" icon and post the link--and as soon as you click one of the width/height boxes the numbers will automatically appear.





Junkfood, your so close to being right.
but you need to get rid of the "watch?" and the "=" sign from the address. and you need to put a "/" where the "=" was.

So in the url bar it should say:
http://youtube.com/v/S3nu-anXnCI


--------------------
Oh man, I can't wait to see the look on those little Eichmanns' faces when they hear this crunchy groove.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ok hippie.... try and tell me this isn't cool [Re: In(di)go]
    #6820563 -

Awesome. We are getting close to a name. someone told me they searched the internet, even WiKi! :tongue: and they couldn't find the name. But they've seen it before.

Also, didn't you say you saw one before? :smile:
Not that I posted the same thing in another thread or anything :ninja:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* So, what herbal hippie crap are you on? Young_but_cool 2,740 15 10/16/02 05:25 AM
by Penguin
* Smiling Trashcan whos picture was it? POTtismGOD 1,119 9 01/17/07 06:20 PM
by Liquid_Dimension
* Hippie or Punk? Hug a tree or Chop it down?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Bullfrog1 9,138 66 04/24/03 06:55 PM
by monoamine
* hippies,pagens,witches...o my oDin 1,623 10 05/25/04 12:40 PM
by oDin
* classic southern rock lovin hippie rednecks
( 1 2 all )
bluesky 5,078 22 04/04/09 09:59 PM
by MrBump
* Strawberry wine n hippies prince_toadstool 1,522 11 04/15/03 07:24 PM
by prince_toadstool
* Post your instruments
( 1 2 all )
kindkesey 5,257 38 04/06/04 05:33 PM
by Gus
* Hippies
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,671 30 06/18/04 10:22 PM
by beatlebangboy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,910 topic views. 5 members, 18 guests and 70 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.