Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Shroom Wiz Tek & Sterility
    #67083 - 11/30/99 07:39 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I am looking at a tray (as soon as i get back from work) done alla wizard that has begun pinning madly all over and uniformly.

First layer: just coarse verm MOISTENED with heavy H2O2. (200mls peroxide to the liter)

Second layer: PF rice cakes fully colonized crumbled over first layer.

Third layer: The highest PH potting soil I could find mixed with some added lime powder stuff ( 75% caco3 and 15% Mg oxide)
Also sprayed to moist capacity with abovementioned h2o2.

******VERY IMPORTANT (my previous mistake)
MOIST MEANS MOIST. EASILY CONFUSED WITH ALMOST DRY.!!!!!!! Trust me with all this talk about humidity I had a tendency to make my original casings too wet.

Also if you use ShroomGods cool mist contams will be minimal. Have been for me. So far none with this new setup.

h2o2+cool mist= no contams were previously the whole spectrum of the rainbow appeared.

Hope this help
From someone who had no idea before the shroomery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Make senior membership now more valid its kinda embarassing to have so many posts with so little success. BUT NOW!!!!!!)

happy happa trippa man.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#67085 - 11/30/99 07:40 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Oh and to answer your question......

NO HEAT STERILIZATION WAS EMPLOYED WHATSOEVER.!!

OfflineTriGuy
Skeptic

Loc: Georgia
    #67086 - 11/30/99 06:45 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

My $.02

In the nutrient rich substrate jars, it's a race among the microbes to see which can get the strongest foothold first. We sterilize to eliminate the competition. Even better is to give our spores a headstart in a jar of sterilized liquid substrate (malt extract) and inoculating the sterilized jars heavily with the so called "liquid mycelium". That's what I'm going to try next.

The contamination is not as much of a concern in the casing tray if you buy normal bagged (sterilized?) potting soil from Home Depot or Walmart. No need to fertilize. Just make sure the cakes are FULLY colonized in the jar before breaking them up into the tray.
Don't overwater 'cuz that will drown them and pack the soil. The manna was watered by dew. You can loosen it up with a fork if it gets too heavy on top. That allows gas exhange and more places for the pins to com up through the soil. I think this is what people call "deep scratching". Some people have tried sticking the tray in the fridge overnight to shock them in to fruiting, but of course that will only work if the mushrooms are ready. I have not tried that, but I think it might have the effect of synchronizing the whole colony.

Anyways, good luck... and I have some Gulf Coast spore prints to sell for $10 each (3 for $25 and 10 for $70). They are hardy, and potent. The harvest was good.

BTW Greco: What's the purpose of hydrogen peroxide in the casing layers? Does your mister (as opposed to mistress, hehe) have H202 in it as well? And what's the Calcium for, just to raise the PH of the surface layer?

[This message has been edited by TriGuy (edited November 30, 1999).]

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #67087 - 11/30/99 08:13 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

No need to sterilize casing layer. At this point your mycelium is strong and healthy and won't generally become infected. I have used the tek with no sterilization and no H202 and had awesome sucsess and so far no contams. I did find that adding a little vermiculite to the top layer helps keep things moist and speed up pinning to lessen chance of envasion. The only problem I've ever had with casings is flies. I'm not sure what kind of flies I call em' psiloflies. They will envade and attempt to eat your crop before you do. Anyway about sterilization, don't waste your time, its a pointless time consuming step.

The Lizard,

--------------------

Anonymous

#67088 - 12/01/99 12:55 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I like to sterilize my casing layer, specially if you use soil. I had problems with green mold and white flies before and the sterilizing took care of that...

Just bake the soil/verm in the oven for 15 minutes or so... No need to overdo it.

------------------
//Moomin666 -When madness is an art...

Anonymous

#67089 - 12/01/99 01:01 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I have found that If I don't first microwave my casing layer i get green mold. I use pure h202 to mist.

------------------
Long live the fighters!!!!!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #67090 - 12/02/99 06:39 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

green mold has nothing to do with sterilization, since everything in your house is and will get covered in it's spores. The secret with green mold is air exchange. It can't live with high air exchange. Cubensis terrerium should have the air exchanged about 3 times an hour for optimum performance. At this rate, most casing contaminants do not exist.

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #67091 - 12/02/99 06:46 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I guess that would make sense. I always open up my terrarium a few times a day to mist.

--------------------

Anonymous

#67092 - 12/02/99 09:11 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Ah, I see mycofile... Thanks!

------------------
Long live the fighters!!!!!

Anonymous

#67093 - 12/02/99 09:26 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

OK, so we have 4 who say don't sterilize, and 2 who say do. Should I assume that it'll work either way?

------------------
"At work they showed me how to open the door by pulling on the handle, so now I don?t have to hurl myself through the glass anymore." -anonymous

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract