Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: microscope [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6674943 - 03/15/07 10:27 PM (17 years, 17 days ago)

I got the microscope today. Beautiful. I cant wait to bring it to my laboratory tomorrow.

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
Re: microscope [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6678577 - 03/16/07 10:25 PM (17 years, 16 days ago)

I in no way intend to hijack this thread, but since there is already some information posted here, I would like to ask for the expert opinions as well.

I have been searching around for a bit and have decided to purchase a microscope for the serious study of mushrooms and also to aide my college education.  I will be taking USB pictures, so would a trinocular be better than a binocular?  Also, what are the advantages of a stereo microscope besides 3-dimensional viewing?  I have noticed that they have lower magnification than trinoculars...

I have not studied extensively with a micrsocope before and it has been about 5 years since I gazed through a pair of eyepieces.  Would a "student's" or "beginner's" microscope be a better purchase than say something meant for actual lab work?  It has long been a dream of mine to own one, so I would also like to make sure I'm making a worthwhile investment and not making a mistake by going for the cheap one.  Money is not necessarily a large issue in this decision, as I recently received $200 to go toward this purchase, and I wil be adding up to another $200 for the scope itself and accessories.  What quality microscope can I expect for $400 USD?

I happened upon this one on eBay. 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170084023786&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=170085636599&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget
It seems pretty cheap even though it comes with a camera.  Any opinions?

Thanks much :thumbup:

--------------------
Live free or die.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: microscope [Re: WoodsCall]
    #6678877 - 03/17/07 12:20 AM (17 years, 16 days ago)

A stereo microscope is not for looking at things on the cellular level. Consider it like having a super macro lense on a camera. The lense and the light source are on the same side of the object being viewed, so a stereo or a stereo zoom microscope sees the light that is reflected off the object. A zoom/stereo microscope is great for studying the gill structure of a mushroom, or looking at other objects such as jewelry or bugs.

A light microscope has the light on the opposite side of what you're viewing from the lense, so it shows you the light that is penetrating the object you're viewing. With a light microscope, you can view things at the cellular level. Take a scroll through my gallery and you'll see several pictures taken through each type. I would always suggest getting the best scope you can afford. It's no fun looking through shitty lenses or using a cheap light that won't focus on the object you're studying.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMeat_hod
sick shit
Male

Re: microscope [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6692421 - 03/20/07 06:19 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

I bought an old Lumix microscope, all metal, goes upto 900x. It's great! it just has a mirror for a light source, but it's fine with an adjustable desk lamp or something.

it was 20$ from a used junk store.

best $20 i ever spent.

--------------------

OfflineMeat_hod
sick shit
Male

Re: microscope [Re: Meat_hod]
    #6692425 - 03/20/07 06:20 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

I'll also note that with another external light, i can use it in the same way you could use a stereo microscope.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale