Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinexburn
V card
Microscope help please, Graduation Present
    #4121996 - 05/02/05 01:47 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

OK i am graduating from high schhol and going to college. My parents want to buy me presents i think a cool micrscope would be awesome. I just started working with agar recently. Some contams here and there i think it would be sweet to look and see that stuff up close for myself. I have become quite the enthusiasit and need help picka good microscope. I think it would be nice to be able to take pictures to my computer with it. and i want to be able to observe the growth process of mushroom and its various contaminates. Also if it could take video that would rock. if i can view thorugh the computer though it probably already has that. SO please list what i am looking for and if you know some good ones for 500 or around their please enlighten me.

P.S. can i take the petri dish with mycelium or bacteria growing in it and look at thorugh the microscope without taking the lid off and get a decent pictures

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Microscope help please, Graduation Present [Re: xburn]
    #4122054 - 05/02/05 02:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

iwas looking at this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71410&item=7511093156&rd=1

are there any ,ajor difference between micsroscopes.  what should i watch out for.i think it would be cool to get a vidoe hookup for the top so i could watch  the mycellium grow in speed time : )

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinekanpan
The Beast
 User Gallery

Loc: Kanbodia
    #4122424 - 05/02/05 08:11 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Look at this one .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie..._PcY_BIN_Stores
It even has the video cam included..

Enjoy

--------------------
"Love is the Law"
"Love under Will"

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4122568 - 05/02/05 09:15 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

the problem with that one is it is made to go to tv.
i think  i want this camera http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58192&item=7512303552

because it will have a higher resolution

but as far as microscopes go is there anything wrong with this one or anything i should reconsider about it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71410&item=7511614852

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4125778 - 05/02/05 10:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I hate and distrust ebay so they're out as far as I'm concerned, but that's just me. I started out with the observer series microscope at www.microscopesusa.com and the mini vid camera. They say the minivid won't fit the 18mm eyepieces of the 0bserever, however I found that it will, but it's a tight fit. I've used the combination to film time lapse videos of mycelium growing. If you can afford it, the M2 is much better.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Microscope help please, Graduation Present [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4127060 - 05/03/05 08:56 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

ok sweet, that gives me an idea. Now to my next question if soemone could. can you put your agar plates straight onto the microscope without removing from the dish to view or must you use a slide.

also what magnification is usually used to observe mycellium, and for spores?

--------------------

Edited by xburn (05/03/05 09:03 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4128022 - 05/03/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

With one of my microscopes, the 40X objective can be used over a closed petri dish. My better scope needs to be closer to get in focus. To go to higher power requires removing the lid, or making a plate. Some of my time-lapse agar videos have been made using a microscope slide cover over the agar in a petri dish. As the mycelium grows under the slide, you can use 100x, 400x, or even 1000x if you get silly and want to break out the immersion oil. If you want pictures of spores germinating, you can use karo water on a microscope slide, then place the spores on the drop of water before putting the slide cover over it all.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
Re: Microscope help please, Graduation Present [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4128612 - 05/03/05 04:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I personally love Leicas:

And Nikon:

For 500 you might find some secondhand deals. Let me know if you want the specs on the models I use. Their video capabilities are excellent.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Microscope help please, Graduation Present [Re: pluteus]
    #4128799 - 05/03/05 05:13 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Holy shit! I'd sell my soul for all that equipment!
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Microscope help please, Graduation Present [Re: pluteus]
    #4131599 - 05/04/05 07:53 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

why is it that everytime i see a pic that i really want to get a good look at i discover that pic is actually only as big as the default thumb size?

you people do realise that you can put up full size pics and the forum will auto-resize it to a thumb for faster page loads, right?

it is really disappointing to get excited about some mycpr0n that you want to use as wallpaper only to discover the thumb is what you get.

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
Re: Microscope help please, Graduation Present [Re: debianlinux]
    #4131652 - 05/04/05 08:21 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My pics are plenty big, no? When I click on them I am shown the saved images which are about four times the size of the thumbs. If you want the full-size originals, for wallpaper or whatever, PM me. They are massive.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale