Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetha mad pRopHet
journeyman
Re: polymers to help fruiting...
    #66664 - 11/30/99 06:25 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

TO THE TOP!!!
okay, if you dont like the cake idea, idont blame you... cheezy graphx anywayz. but if you like to case, here's my suggestion: in your casing tray, lay about a half inch of pre-soaked polymers* down...(typically, it takes around 1cup of polymers to (1cup mycelia cake) take your fully colonized cake(s) and dump the verm seal(s)out ontop and mix em in w/the polymer layer. then break up your cakes as usual and lay the chunx out. fill any of the holes w/ 50/50 casing mix... and then cover as usual- a variation is to add a few tablespoons/cup of pre-soaked polymers to the 50/50... i suggest you try this w/a small batch (1 cake worth) before you case a whole tray. BIG FLUSHES!!!! use your imagination and EXPERIMENT!!!

*PRE-SOAKED POLYMERS?!!
1.)in a suitable pyrex container or whateverz available, boil the hell out of some distilled water (bottled, whateverz, it doesnt really matter). the microwave is probably best for this.
2.)once the water is finished boiling, let it cool slightly (to prevent the h202 from decomposing) and then add, w/good judgement, enough hydrogen peroxide (3%)to make a ratio of no greater than 1:5. i must stress this!!! if you get caried away and add too much h2o2, your polymers will turn to total gooey slimey muck! -also take into consideration the fact th@ the amount of solution you use is the final amout of soaked polymers you will end up w/.
3.)now, add your polymers- (1/2 teaspoon per cup)-- to the still WARM/HOT solution (only warm/hot so the polymers soak up the water faster; they dont really need to be sterilized in my experience, but if your anal, go right ahead!). this ratio isnt set in stone, but it's best to have the polymers @ 50% of their max. capacity to prevent over-saturation/drowning of the mycelia, and to prevent any extra h2o2 from turning them to slime. [interesting note: polymers can absorb up to 450 times their weight in water!!!)
4.)let the mix sit and cool in a relatively CLEAN environent (cover and leave in microwave perhaps?). it shouldnt take too long for the polymers to absorb the solution...i suggest you let it sit for 24-48 hrs if youre scared of the polymers sliming...next time, dont use so much HP!!!
5.)all pau!

IF YOU NEED POLYMERS BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND ANY (TRY HOME DEPOT FIRST!!!), OR HAVE QUESTIONS/SUGGESTIONS, POST HERE.

------------------

shaka braddah!!!
mahaloz,
-tha m@d~pRopHet...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: polymers to help fruiting... [Re: tha mad pRopHet]
    #66666 - 12/02/99 06:27 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

wholy shit prophet boy thats pretty cool.....jups..just sayin sup from the noodlehead
homeward bound we are sooooon

Anonymous

#66667 - 12/02/99 08:10 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

dude,
i'm sorry but what the hell are u talking about?

------------------
"I'm psychedelic this time coming rainbow,
Look at the green lights and yall see my brain glow,
five colors; yellow, black, red, green, and purple"
--Dr. Octagonecologyst

Offlineoldmaverick
enthusiast
    #66668 - 12/03/99 12:58 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Could you be more specific, there are hundreds of polymers that i can recall at short notice, which one are you talking about?
It seems the polymer that you are talking about absorbs water !?
Could you please give me the scientific name, or even the brand name of the polymer !
That would really help !

------------------
Maverick shroomed@rediffmail.com
=====================
Psychedelia in India....
We arent there yet but ,
We are getting there !!!

Offlineoldmaverick
enthusiast
    #66669 - 12/03/99 01:14 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

almost a double post ! oops

------------------
Maverick shroomed@rediffmail.com
=====================
Psychedelia in India....
We arent there yet but ,
We are getting there !!!

[This message has been edited by maverick (edited December 03, 1999).]

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #66670 - 12/03/99 02:01 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

He's talking about the water absorbing polymers sold at nurseries, and that was my hot-tub liver-chest.

I've done the cake thing, I just modified the modification to the MMGG that says to make a verm resevoir. It didn't work any better than just a moist straight verm center, either way injecting water after flushes was greatly beneficial. 5 flushes from some of those cakes. Tedius though.

Note on the 2nd reply: I don't think adding the verm filter layer is a good idea. After all, it's there to filter out contams and is bound to have some in it.

I do like the idea of using them as a bottom layer, I will do some experiments mos def.

Added to casings sounds cool too, stamets mentions it, but won't endorse it due to them not being broken down.

Agrosoak is a brand name available at Lowe's and some Wal-Marts.

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Anonymous

#66671 - 12/03/99 02:28 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

mad pRopHet...Good Job! I will give your idea a try, I believe it to have substantial potential. Thanks for a free clue. One less thing to buy. :smile:

------------------
Peace, Love & Light

Offlinetha mad pRopHet
journeyman
    #66672 - 12/03/99 11:32 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

please, letz keep the comments comming! i'd love to hear how things turn out for other people...

mycofile- thanx for the insight! i agree th@ using the verm filter layer is a bad idea, but it about being lazy i guess. i havent had any contams but i think ill just start using fresh stuff.

the brand name i use is "soil moist" and the chemical name is "crosslinked polyacrylamide" if anyone cannot find em, i'll send a small pack (3 oz.) fer like $3 and believe me, this is ALOT- almost all youll need for weeks!(will absorb over 10gal of water/h2o2)

[This message has been edited by tha mad pRopHet (edited December 04, 1999).]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix