Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCerebro
Spawnmaster C
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cocytus
Milk in substrate
    #6652814 - 03/09/07 02:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Has anyone tried milk in their jars? I've heard of milk agar. I imagine if this did encourage bacteria it would be beneficial bacteria. Ones which produce H2O2, ethanol. It could simulate cowdung. As many bacterial species found in their milk can also be found in their dung.

The addition of citric acid would help to stabilize the casein in the milk. Citric acid would also drop the pH down to 2-3.2. Well below the pH in which most undesirable bacteria thrive. It would promote Malolactic fermentation like with wine. The milk wouldn't produce a strong sour smell because the lactic acid is being used for the organism's energy cycles. Most bacteria in milk are obligate anaerobes anyway. The milk would add enzymes, nutrients, fats, and different proteins. So what do you all think?

Edited by Cerebro (03/09/07 02:49 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDr_Demented
Shape Shifter

Loc: At the other end
Re: Milk in substrate [Re: Cerebro]
    #6653381 - 03/09/07 05:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Mabe, I dont know.
I suggest posting this in the advanced forum....

/Dr.

--------------------
-It all makes sence if you think about it for a while.

All you need to success in growing!

OfflineSpire
Mycophagous

Re: Milk in substrate [Re: Dr_Demented]
    #6653423 - 03/09/07 05:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Isn't milk also slightly acidic?

--------------------
Old Member, New Name.

One makes "good luck".
With the ability to recognize a good opportunity.
Then, to exploit it.
-SixTango/Agar

InvisibleSofaKingGood
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Milk in substrate [Re: Dr_Demented]
    #6653509 - 03/09/07 06:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Dr_Demented said:
Mabe, I dont know.
I suggest posting this in the advanced forum....

/Dr.

I second this.

--------------------
[quote]I8thesh400m said:
he-has-as-have-i-chek-My-ratings:thumbup:
to-the-post-origionator-5-to-you
there-are-nice-people-but-be-smart
my-spacebar-is-broke:p [/quote]

OfflineJunkFood
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: NYC
Re: Milk in substrate [Re: SofaKingGood]
    #6653533 - 03/09/07 06:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Also consider unpasteurized milk--for the real batch of bacteria!

http://www.organicpastures.com/

:sleepingcow:

(Just a thought)

Offlinet3knology
33 threes

Loc: USA
Re: Milk in substrate [Re: JunkFood]
    #6653677 - 03/09/07 07:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

From using milk agar in microbiology I think that i remember that it was just for certain strains of bacteria. I don't think that it would be beneficial for mushroom production. It would probably just help different types of contaminants that you don't want set up shop.

--------------------
"If our Gods and our hopes are nothing but scientific phenomena, then let us admit it must be said that our love is scientific as well." - Mathias Villiers de l'Isle-Adam

Invisiblegeko
Human
Male

Re: Milk in substrate [Re: t3knology]
    #6654495 - 03/10/07 01:01 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I asked the same question some time back and they answered that it will be sure to contaminate. I haven't tried it, though. The safe bet would be to soak in milk before pc-ing, like in coffee. But what will happen to the milk in the grains during the PC process I don't know.

OfflineCerebro
Spawnmaster C
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cocytus
Re: Milk in substrate [Re: geko]
    #6691322 - 03/20/07 02:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

UPDATE!

The jar contamed but I tranfered it to a casing and put it outdoors. I planted some rice on top of it. Strangely enough the half colonized jar didn't smell, at least it doesn't smell like sour milk. Bacillus & Lactobacillus compete. Lactobacillus produces bacteriocin which kills other microbes.

Edited by Cerebro (03/20/07 09:17 PM)

OfflineCornBall
Stranger
Re: Milk in substrate [Re: Cerebro]
    #6820567 - 04/22/07 09:46 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Cerebro said:
Has anyone tried milk in their jars? I've heard of milk agar. I imagine if this did encourage bacteria it would be beneficial bacteria. Ones which produce H2O2, ethanol. It could simulate cowdung. As many bacterial species found in their milk can also be found in their dung.

The addition of citric acid would help to stabilize the casein in the milk. Citric acid would also drop the pH down to 2-3.2. Well below the pH in which most undesirable bacteria thrive. It would promote Malolactic fermentation like with wine. The milk wouldn't produce a strong sour smell because the lactic acid is being used for the organism's energy cycles. Most bacteria in milk are obligate anaerobes anyway. The milk would add enzymes, nutrients, fats, and different proteins. So what do you all think?

I think this idea deserves further study. I know people who harvest wild sheeps head (maitake) mushrooms, and they swear by dumping milk on the mushroom. Supposedly, it makes the mushroom grow a lot within twenty four hours. I did some searching on the subject, and all I could find were references to milk dunking. I didn't find info (outside of your one test referenced in this thread) regarding milk as a substrate material.

It would also be interesting to know the effect of other sources of substrate moisture. What about blending a few ounces of cow manure in a quart of water to use in BRF cakes?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation