Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePinner
Loc: NNY
Birdseed first time for spawn
    #663515 - 06/05/02 02:46 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I bought some spawn bags from bluethumbs i then decided to use wildbird seed. I have to sift it to get the sunflower seeds out had bad contams before with them. I then simmed the seed for about 30 to 40 minutes until tender. I placed in large spawn bag added some gypsum and pc for 90 min. Looks really good but just wanted to see if anyone has done this in this manner and what kind of results they got with the seed .

--------------------
I have fresh cow dung and worm castings cheap if interested pm me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Birdseed first time for spawn [Re: Pinner]
    #664166 - 06/05/02 11:04 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Pinner,

A Racoon down the street buys bulk bags of cheap bird seed, then places some in a large pot w/water, skims off the floaters & SS seeds, soaks overnight, rinses & drains for about 15 minutes.

The Racoon figures the seed will soak up all the water it needs & this method does away with any measuring of water.

Then, puts about 2 - 3 quarts ea. in autoclave bags w/o filter patchs, places them in PC w/top folded over, places a few 1 or 1.5 inch bore automotive heater hose about 3 inchs long & some filters on top the bags in the PC, then sets a plate over all contents in the PC.

Then PC's for 90 minutes @ 15 pounds. Lets the PC cool overnight, then w/o opening the PC, then PC's again for 90 minutes & lets it cool overnight.

The Racoon figures the initial soak time will allow all contam mold & endospores in/on the seed to germiate, then PC'ing twice is pretty sure to do them in.

Then, when all is ready. Meaning -- having a quart of fully colonized rye berries. Open the PC in a clean place (in front of flow hood or glove box), open the quart jar, open a bag, spoon in a few table spoons fully of colonized rye berries into the BS spawn bag, hold the bag closed & shake gently to dispurse the colonized rye throughout the bird seed.

Then twist/flatten the top of the bag, slide the top of the bag through the heater hose, double it back over the outside of the hose, apply a filter, then a double paper coffee filterover the filter, then using a radiator hose screw type clamp, tighten it over the hose & filter. Which seals the bag & allows air/gas exchange.

Then, after all bags are done, place them in a black garbage bag, place that in a cardboard box, then store @ around 80 degrees. Wait a few days, check on it, if colonization is 5 to 10%, shake very gently, store again, wait a few more days, check, if colonization is around 50%, shake very gently again & store again. When the bags are fully colonized, you have a LOT of spawn for dung/straw substrate.

If I can get the Racoon off his lazy ass, maybe I can get him to post a pic of a bag just done like this.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates