Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs)
    #6616193 -

Everyday for the past few days, I have been studying, asking questions, looking at the photo gallery, doing quick searches etc. I have spent hours and hours educating myself on cultivation, contamination and so on. I am very confident that I can enjoy this hobby with minimal risks of contamination, good yields, storage, spore printing, and personal saftey. To the noob: do your damn homework! You could screw up your entire yield, or worse end up with a life long organ problems or even die.
I realize this might be the wrong forum to post this in, but the noob often doesn't know what to look at first, and I think this might help.
I want to say thanks to everyone for being helpful, constructive, and supportive. Be safe.


--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

Read his library of books to expand your mind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: mikemushroom]
    #6616220 -

Some people don't care about the hobby they just want some yield. So they will just do the bare minimum research and post when they have problems.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: exinth] * 1
    #6616250 -

Quote:
Some people don't care about the hobby they just want some yield



They're not hard to spot either. They're the ones that want the rest of us to hold their hands and guide them every step of the way, while doing nothing for themselves. That's why their questions often go days without an answer. If they don't care, neither do we.

Thanks mike. Those who do their homework, then ask questions on what they don't understand, get all the help possible. Remember this is a mycology forum, not a drug site. Those who just want to get high can visit any street corner with twenty bucks and give it to that shady looking dude who forgot what a bathtub and washing machine is.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6616556 -

Even though I won't be innoculating until Saturday, I have done so much research that I find myself able to help others, discuss various topics, and so on. I firmly believe one should get to this point before going about it themselves. This is why grad. students find themelves required to teach a class or at least assisting their professors.
Am braging on myself? Maybe. I will be able to when I do a handy dandy job!
To those noobs who don't give a shit...you'll probably end up with the shits,I hope.


--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

Read his library of books to expand your mind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: mikemushroom]
    #6616738 -

I myself am a NOoB & have been growing for approx. 3 mo. but have been visiting this, and many other related sights for over a year. I have refrained from asking too many ?'s because: 1) any that I have I can usually get answers to by using the search function or THE HOLIEST of THE HOLY the ARCHIVES (praise to the Archives!!). & 2) I never want to be one of those guys that asks a question that was answered in the preceding post.
Growing shrooms is not the easiest undertaking that I've ever had, and I must say that it's a lot easier to research the technique, than to actually start, that being said why not do your homework? I'm constantly amazed at all I find each and every time I start a trip through the Archives. I am equally amazed at the support and the utter quickness of said support given to & from NOoB's and vet's alike in this Community.
I'm both excited and proud to be a part of this endeavor and I think R.R. summed it up best with this:

Quote:
Those who just want to get high can visit any street corner with twenty bucks and give it to that shady looking dude who forgot what a bathtub and washing machine is.
RR




Thanks to you all,
-P.M.-


--------------------
All I have written is and always will be fiction, with nothing anchored in the realm of reality.

Edited by professor_mudd (02/27/07 02:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: professor_mudd]
    #6616787 -

I will admit that at first, I asked a couple questions that could easily be found in the archives. Sometimes people need clarification on info, so go for it. But don't push valuable posts to the 2nd page (which people will tend to ignore) because you refuse to do a simple, one word search.


--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

Read his library of books to expand your mind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: mikemushroom]
    #6616796 -

I believe one should educate themselves before trying anything. But you have to remember we are some what of a family trying to make a difference in consciousness through mushrooms, so no matter how mundane the question try to be supportive of the people attempting to learn this very special method of growing. The more people out there that have this hobbie the more mushrooms can be supplied to the masses and the more awake people will be.....its all about *harmony*


--------------------
GREETINGS CITIZENS... we are living in the age in which the pursuit of all values will end......MONEY, SUCCESS, FAME, GLAMOUR has either been discredited or distroyed....MONEY, SUCCESS, FAME, GLAMOUR... for we are living in the age of things.....

*wake up america*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: mikemushroom]
    #6616815 -

Lol, noob advice from a noob, how novel. I'm a noob too so it's all good. Noob noob noob.


--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: mikemushroom]
    #6616849 -

I remember when I used to ask a million questions,I usually did try and research on my own 1st so just as mentioned above I got help when I needed it and wasn't usually ignored or just told to do a search,growing mushrooms is an undertaking that takes both time and effort and if you are lazy and uneducated on the topic you wont last long and will quickly grow frustrated and tired of trying if you don't have the persistence to look at your failures as learning experiences.One word of advice to people who are actively looking for answers on their own and are not finding them because I had this problem in the beginning as well.

NEVER use "Search site" always use "Search posts",I have found search site to be completely useless,you can type in something simple like say you are looking for info on liquid culture and you type that into search site,you will not get a single thing that has anything even remotely to do with liquid culture and are more likely to come up with completely irrelevant and useless trip reports and recipes for raspberry pudding from the culinary forum that don't even contain the word liquid or culture,this will leave you scratching your head and wondering what on earth you did wrong.If you type it into search posts you will find more than you could ever need to know about the topic at hand.

Also don't neglect the option to narrow down your results by using a user name of who posted said information,it doesn't take long to figure out who here knows what they are talking about and searching their posts will get you good and accurate information.You can generally never go wrong with posts by the old hands,some of it may not a bit advanced and not be in the easiest way to understand but if you think about it and try it you will see what people mean when they say things they say,you can never go wrong with posts by Monster Mitch,RR,Creamcorn,Agar,Fastfred and there are probably a dozen others that just aren't coming to my mind right now but you will know when someone know what they are talking about when you read it.

O and when you try and fail following something you read actually think and reread and analyze where you screwed up cause even after you read all the information in the world you are still likely to screw it up a few times when you put it into real life practice,dont get discouraged and keep trying,mushrooms like to be grown by smart people not lazy idiots who don't pay attention

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: Blutjager]
    #6618335 -

Exactly. Perhaps this thread went a little off course. The point is knowledge = power, period. If you are looking for some insight you came to the right place. I would also like to say that this site is really all one needs for up-to-date techniques, and a sense of family, or perhaps a trippin family.


--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

Read his library of books to expand your mind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: mikemushroom]
    #6618462 -

I really dislike the noobs that grow simply because they tried mushrooms once and grow specifically for that purpose, to get high again. They do not give two shits about fungi in general, and because of that, they need the MOST coddling of anyone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6618474 -

Quote:
RogerRabbit said:Those who just want to get high can visit any street corner with twenty bucks and give it to that shady looking dude who forgot what a bathtub and washing machine is.
RR



You can get high on bathtubs and washing machines?? Oh man, how do I grow that... I'm going to go post a thread now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: ozzyozzyozzy]
    #6619674 -

I find experimentation vital to learning. I for instance went out of town for 1 week a only had a bubbler going in my terrarium. When i got back 3 cakes had fruits and 1 died the trych death. so dont be afraid to just try it and see...


--------------------
Was the lockness monster in fact Jack the Ripper?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: tihkalpihkal]
    #6622842 -

i to am a noob and havent grown anything yet, but i can still answer many of the questions that get posted simply because i have spent a lot of time reading...that being said READ then READ some more


--------------------
Eddie Money doesn't have to put up with this shit.
The wonder has a name: shrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: farva86]
    #6622879 -

experimentation is vital. you learn more from your first grow than you learn during all your research, its just different types of knowledge. i would estimate that i did over 100 hours of reading before i tried my first grow(two monotubs, wbs spawned to 40 pounds of tennstudd

i learned all the essential teks and had a tremendous understanding of the life imcycle, why we do what we do as cultivators and everything else you need to learn. i consider myself mikemushroom from 6 months ago, and as a noob i found myself answering other noobs questions all the time. people come to this forum like me and mikemushroom and are willing to read(let me note its not just willingness but also a fascination for the hobby is needed) and get help when they need it. the people who post the most supid questions get stupid answers...i guarantee 90% of the people who post questions exhibiting little research done and ask about mycodome type products or what syringe to buy probably abandon their cultivation dreams shortly thereafter...


basically im gonna use the old adage i apply when smoking pot with a noobie..."you gotta cough to get off..."

you gotta read and study and be devoted to start a first grow.

anyways, kudos to noobs like mikemushroom and myself from the past as im pretty sure all the great contributing posters here started like me and him, not like other noobs asking if pressure cooker is "really neededd" for grains, etc...always looking for shortcuts.

also i found the most helpful thing i could do when i was learning was setting up a folder in my bookmarks called mycology or w/e, and then setting up categories in t hat...i believe i had categories titled :spores, grain, spawning, fruiting, and others...this way when i found helpful teks i could save them and have them easily organized for future reference.


--------------------
Yes, ordinary water. Laced with nothing more than a few spoons full of LSD- professor farsnworth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: jenerikcairet]
    #6622889 -

Quote:
also i found the most helpful thing i could do when i was learning was setting up a folder in my bookmarks called mycology or w/e, and then setting up categories in t hat...i believe i had categories titled :spores, grain, spawning, fruiting, and others...this way when i found helpful teks i could save them and have them easily organized for future reference.



thats what ive been doing since i started reading...yay for me
"if u aint chokin u aint token"


--------------------
Eddie Money doesn't have to put up with this shit.
The wonder has a name: shrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: farva86]
    #6622950 -

you gotta cry to get high
its gotta hurt to work
etc...


--------------------
Yes, ordinary water. Laced with nothing more than a few spoons full of LSD- professor farsnworth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: jenerikcairet]
    #6624293 -

So there you have it: education, ask good questions, and learn from your mistakes. J-thanks for the love.


--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

Read his library of books to expand your mind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: exinth]
    #6628914 -

exinth said:
Some people don't care about the hobby they just want some yield.



not me, i throw my mushrooms away after i grow them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Competence Through Education (this is for the noobs) [Re: LayYouIn]
    #6629240 -

My advice to any noob is to participate in the upcoming scavanger hunt. It will by far be the most educational tool you have yet to use.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? fr0g 1,528 14 08/24/03 06:48 PM
by fr0g
* SOY SPAWN TEK*****NOOB friendly knowledge share***** FORMSHIFTER 3,080 4 10/09/06 08:08 PM
by FORMSHIFTER
* A few Noob q's bombardier420 627 11 03/02/06 10:43 AM
by Anno
* noob questions *DELETED* bigkingjc 800 8 09/10/06 03:50 AM
by gema
* noob question about germination time itsallnines 1,347 16 01/05/08 06:14 PM
by itsallnines
* Cake resurrection?? doug_philips_420 814 7 01/18/03 08:11 AM
by I_Fart_Blue
* More Noob Questions Billy1111 509 11 06/15/05 09:31 AM
by Billy1111
* White, soft, stipes okay? SlapnutRob 971 14 04/13/03 03:37 PM
by SlapnutRob

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,356 topic views. 26 members, 47 guests and 174 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.042 seconds spending 0.018 seconds on 18 queries.