Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Thought for Food.
    #657179 - 06/01/02 08:05 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Regurgitation...
It's a common side-effect of mediocrity.

I think it was Nietzsche who said something along the lines of "one is not truly free until the act of creation..." Seems sort of obscure doesn't it?

This place (the Shroomery) is a great place... because it is a means for communication between non-mainstream people/thinkers. The only problem is when the thinking is just barely above mediocre (hey, you may think great, but your posts don't show it... by "you", I mean those with less than well-thought-out posts) and we get a bunch of regurgitation of ideas with no building-on to those ideas. Where's the re-application of concepts? Where's the creativity?

Look, I don't care if you've read one book or one thousand, I just want to see some creativity. Stating what you believe over and over again is just ridiculous... it's an egocentric crutch.

Maybe I should just ask some simple questions...

1) Are you here to expand your mind by having your ideas challenged?

2) Are you here to just state your beliefs to find others that agree so that you can sit back and know you're right?
Then you'll never have to worry about uncertainty, the unknown, or whatever, because in this small environment, utilitarianism can work for YOU (you know, pre-packaged subversiveness... revolution in a can... the "counter-culture"- don't listen to those who say it's just a subculture *sarc*).

3) Are you here to find certainty so that you can finally be "complete"?
No more soul-searching for you after this... years from now you can sit comfortably on that park bench and say "Sheeyit, I did all that thar spirituality and philosophy stuff back in my twenties. Now, where was I? Oh yeah, Heeeere birdy birdy come git yer popcorn."

"Not to offend or annoy, strike a bad note
Not to damage or destroy, say a bad word" -Self

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Thought for Food. [Re: Sclorch]
    #657225 - 06/01/02 08:37 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

The only problem is when the thinking is just barely above mediocre

No offence, but please, step down off your high horse. We don't all share your rapier-like intelliegence. This is a forum for the free exchange of ideas about spirituality and philosophy. We are not elitist.

Who's yardstick are we being measured against?

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Thought for Food. [Re: Revelation]
    #657283 - 06/01/02 09:16 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

indeed. i'm sure sclorch doesn't mean to offend anyone, although his statements could easily be interpreted to.

as far as the question at hand, i can say with confidence that one of the many reasons i am here is to expand my mind by having my ideas challenged. that's what makes conversation so great, the exchange and debate of ideas. that being said, i don't often post in this forum because i feel many of the topics in it are not of much interest to me, and therefore i cannot get passionate in revealing my own personal truths in regards to them, nor having my beliefs on the subject discussed. in other words, being that i have little interest in a topic, i am less likely to post my feelings on it, since i may not have much bias either way. however, i have to say that in my everyday life i strive for as much information as possible and wish to hear everyone's opinions no matter how radical and extreme they may be considered to be by modern society. don't believe everything you know.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #657486 - 06/01/02 12:42 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Have you been reading my brilliant .sigs?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Anonymous

#657981 - 06/01/02 06:30 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Regurgitation...

I see nothing wrong in realizing the worth of a concept and promulgating it. This is the essence of how human civilization advances. We all benefit from the advances made by those before us. In addition to your comments about building on ideas, are you also referring to the tendency of many people to accept things without attempting to integrate them coherently within the framework of prior knowledge (avoidance of subjecting things to critical thought)?

I'll try to give some answers to your questions, please excuse me if the answers are not of the simple "yes or no" variety.

1) Are you here to expand your mind by having your ideas challenged?
I'm here to expand my mind. If my ideas are challenged in a manner that makes sense, that will help me. However, I find that many challenges are those that I have already dealt with extensively and offer no opportunity for mind expansion (somewhat like conversing with a child about the existence of Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy.)

2) Are you here to just state your beliefs to find others that agree so that you can sit back and know you're right?
No. What many people call beliefs I would rather term "currently held assumptions." I am always open to change my assumptions pending the presentation of new and compelling evidence or a better explanation. If you do not learn and grow throughout your life you are not utilizing the faculties that make you human.

3) Are you here to find certainty so that you can finally be "complete"?
No, I am too ignorant of the complexities of the universe, life is too short for this, and I am smart enough to realize it. To assume that I can find such certainty would constitute an arrogance befitting the temperament of somebody who is both ignorant of their ignorance and religious in maintaining that state of mind. There is always more to experience and to learn, I will continue change or grow in some way until I cease to exist.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Thought for Food. [Re: ]
    #661262 - 06/03/02 06:28 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Revelation: This is a forum for the free exchange of ideas about spirituality and philosophy.

Of course it is... but what good will be had by repetition of old ideas? Isn't it time for some new ones? I know I've posted a few... most of which were either not understood or there were few replies. But hey! who am I to bark orders at you right? I mean, I never named YOU as a mediocre poster- however, you labeled yourself by taking offense... I guess you didn't see the Self quote. Oh well.

We are not elitist.

I think you may have misunderstood me... no, you did.

geokills: i'm sure sclorch doesn't mean to offend anyone, although his statements could easily be interpreted to.

yup.

geokills: i don't often post in this forum because i feel many of the topics in it are not of much interest to me, and therefore i cannot get passionate in revealing my own personal truths in regards to them, nor having my beliefs on the subject discussed.

So... you would encourage a little housecleaning then?

Sclorch: Regurgitation...

evolving: I see nothing wrong in realizing the worth of a concept and promulgating it.

This statement is really only a foreshadowing of question #2. It was not meant to be taken by itself.

evolving: However, I find that many challenges are those that I have already dealt with extensively and offer no opportunity for mind expansion

That's basically what this thread was about...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineProfesser_Puke

Loc: Florida
    #665689 - 06/06/02 08:16 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

ummmm

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order