Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStainBlue
Da Man
 User Gallery

Cactus Soil Update!!
    #650523 - 05/29/02 02:53 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I recently suggested to someone on the board to use cactus soil as a casing medium. Some were a little skeptical about whether or not it would work. Well here's the bag of beans.

A 4x8 inch pan of B+ had been cased. Pinning did not take any longer than with any other casing. Actually it seemed to occur a little faster. Within 4 days of pinning the beauties were ready to be harvested. All in all there was 16 dry grams of mushroom glory. Pretty good i think. The fruits were really awesome. The biggest being just over 5 inches tall with a cap 2.5 inches across.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to show you (actually I do, they just haven't been developed yet). So maybe when they're developed.

Anyway, just thought I would update everyone.

--------------------
Peace,
StainBlue

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Cactus Soil Update!! [Re: StainBlue]
    #650544 - 05/29/02 03:23 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

That's cool. I can't find verm where i live (i know a place that sells it but it's a bit far from where i am) so i made my first casing two days ago with peat + oyster shells + crushed clay (from plant pots) and the mycelium is already poking through in the valleys. For my next casings i think i'll try cactus and bonsai soil (looks quite fluffy)! Don't forget to post the pics!

Offlineavarrin
family
Male

Loc: chattanooga, tn
    #650557 - 05/29/02 03:37 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Did you add anything else to the cactus soil? or was it just straight soil?

more details! more details!

~ava

--------------------
* all flames are subject to /dev/null

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Loc: The Low Lands
    #650641 - 05/29/02 05:27 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

High,
Thats funny because cacti soil is almost opposite of peat.
It does not hold moist very good while peat does.
Soil has nutritians in it...

Good job,

Eric

--------------------
"Millions of years of evolution just to .... light up a joint"

OfflineStainBlue
Da Man
 User Gallery

Re: Cactus Soil Update!! [Re: MeneerCactus]
    #651171 - 05/29/02 11:15 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well the type I used was Schultz brand. It isn't sandy or anything like you would think cacti would prefer. It is actually just like any other potting soil but it is designed for cacti. Most potting soils (unless otherwise specified) don't provide a whole lot of extra nutrients. Thats where things like fertilizers come into play, in the case of mushies it would be the substrate. Mainly this brand of cactus soil does this: it provides better moisture retention, a source of nitrogen, and it doesn't compact together once it gets wet.

As far as what did I add to it, just a little bit of vermiculite. About 4:1 soil/vermiculite. I don't know, it worked great for me so I would suggest it to anyone who wants to try something new.

And I will post the pics as soon as they are developed.

--------------------
Peace,
StainBlue

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder